Looking to buy a house before June but need to sell my stock for down payment

Cozz

I went to the investor site and it says the window is closed. Anyone know where I can go to find out when it's open?

I have been divorced for 3 years now and finally feel like my life is back on track. Found a wonderful girl that I want to marry and I want to get out of my apartment and buy a owner occupied investment property. My lease is up at the end of May and I'm in contact with a bank about mortgage financing. I have basically no debt but I need to sell my stock in order to have enough for a down payment and for the closing costs without having zero in savings. I have 96.5... shares of stock and I read that I need 100 to be able to sell it over the investor site.

Can anyone give me some insight?

ups hero

Yes. If you have less than 100 shares , you will have to transfer them from class A to class B. I'm assuming they are class A. There is a 3 page sheet you have to print out. You can call ups stock share number and they will walk you through every step. I just did that yesterday. If you want the phone number, pm me. It's a simple process that they will walk you through.

konsole

Just think, if you were a High Frequency Trading program you could have that stock sold in a fraction of a second.

Finner

I would suspect that the "Window" does not apply to you. It does not mean that stock can not be sold. It only means that certain stock owners can not sell, until the window is open again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is the bank cool with you selling shares of stock for the down payment? I thought that you had to have the money in your account for a certain period of time before closing.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You can also borrow 401k money and pay yourself back. Don't know if that is a option for you, but it saves the gain taxes you would have to pay.

beentheredonethat

I went to the investor site and it says the window is closed. Anyone know where I can go to find out when it's open?

I have been divorced for 3 years now and finally feel like my life is back on track. Found a wonderful girl that I want to marry and I want to get out of my apartment and buy a owner occupied investment property. My lease is up at the end of May and I'm in contact with a bank about mortgage financing. I have basically no debt but I need to sell my stock in order to have enough for a down payment and for the closing costs without having zero in savings. I have 96.5... shares of stock and I read that I need 100 to be able to sell it over the investor site.

Can anyone give me some insight?

The window is closed for those in groups 2, 3 or 4. Most district folks at the manager level or below are in group 1 (with the exception of finance people - I believe) So you can buy\sell during closed windows. You can only conduct business on the site during normal wall st hours. I believe that at less then 100 shares, yes you have to transfer the stock to another account (scottrade, etc where it is converted to class b). Then you can sell.
Good luck on the house.

bbsam

Staff member
They are nice. My brother in law had one. Unfortunately he was rearended by a Ford pickup doing 50 mph. My 10 year old nephew was in the back seat. Thanks to modern automotive design they both walked away with minor whiplash.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You can also borrow 401k money and pay yourself back. Don't know if that is a option for you, but it saves the gain taxes you would have to pay.

The purpose of having a down payment is borrowing less. Borrowing for a down payment defeats that purpose.

rod

Retired 22 years
2.5 SV. Using VPP discount---leasing for $270/month for 3 years. Nissan has redesigned the Altima---the new ones challenge the Maxima. Remote start is standard. Back-up camera. Satellite radio. Bluetooth.

Factory remote starters usually suck. A lot of them have VERY limited range. Your lucky if it will work across the width of a street.

brownboxman

I think it has been said very well on this board many times, do NOT make any major purchases in this time while the contract is not final. Of course there are exceptions. But nothing is for sure until the contract is ratified. Four months is not going to make any difference in what you want to buy.