Loop Detail

barnyard

KTM rider
Our local APO (area planning organization) thinks that round abouts are the next big thing and are planning at least 3 for this area.

TB

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We just had one installed and it is a great study in human nature. The passive, neutral and aggressive all have different thoughts as to how to go through it. Amazingly, there has only been one accident (rear-end) since they installed it just over a year ago.

Mike Hawk

I think it is a good idea, if used properly. We just got one in my area and I have to go through it every time I go to work, half the time people in the roundabout will yield to the people yielding to the people in the roundabout. The first time I saw a "you go, no you go" standoff it was sort of funny, the next 100 were annoying.

UPS Lifer

I think it is a good idea, if used properly. We just got one in my area and I have to go through it every time I go to work, half the time people in the roundabout will yield to the people yielding to the people in the roundabout. The first time I saw a "you go, no you go" standoff it was sort of funny, the next 100 were annoying.

In Sedona ADOT is reconstructing highway 179. It will be great when finished but they are adding around 10 round-abouts. Roundabouts are great if you understand the concept and they are big enough to handle the flow of traffic. The problem comes with the folks that have never been through one. Probably one out of three cares are tourists! This is going to be a real nightmare for awhile until everyone gets used to it.

The first time I saw a roundabout, I was in Colorado at a ski resort. I went in a circle for 3 times and came out the way I came in! I stopped and looked at the map and had to figure out how which way to turn. :whiteflag:

We had a "traffic circle" ( I guess that's Texanese for roundabout), they did away with it in the late sixties. I find it odd that now people are calling this a new idea in traffic mangement.

CBUK

Accept them as the best form of road junction. They work brilliantly. The only thing that ruins them is poor drivers.

2Slow

We have lots of them in the city I work in, probably at least 100 with more being constructed all the time.
I like them, they really help speed traffic flow... Once most people figure out how to use them.

The area I work in is a bedroom community to a large city. Before the roundabouts went in, the whole area was a big mess in the evenings. With the roundabouts, everything goes smoothly. The only places still backed up are around what stop signs and stoplights are left.

Of course, y'all still have FM roads (Farm to Market) and Loops. I never saw so many Loops in one place until I spent 4 years in Texas.
Yeah we do. If it were not for the FM roads only my to/from miles would be driven on pavement. LOL...Ever notice that very few of the "loops" actually went all the way around?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In Sedona ADOT is reconstructing highway 179. It will be great when finished but they are adding around 10 round-abouts. Roundabouts are great if you understand the concept and they are big enough to handle the flow of traffic. The problem comes with the folks that have never been through one. Probably one out of three cares are tourists! This is going to be a real nightmare for awhile until everyone gets used to it.

The first time I saw a roundabout, I was in Colorado at a ski resort. I went in a circle for 3 times and came out the way I came in! I stopped and looked at the map and had to figure out how which way to turn. :whiteflag:
I will endeavour to stay out of V.O.C. and off of 179 for at least a year. LOL It is going to be insane up there for that long. Az has figured out (or so they think) that roundabouts are Gods answer to traffic congestion. They are nuts in my opinion. Especially as much tourists traffic that there is on 179. So far I have been lucky and have not had to deliver up there since they started the construction. Thank God for seniority. :woohoo:

ups_vette

If you want to see crazy drivers, try driving in Paris around the Arc D'Triumph. It's 10 lanes going around the Arc with traffic from 5 major streets leading into the circle. If France the vehicle in the circle has the right of way and all vehicles entering must yield. There is one exception to this rule, vehicles entering the circle at the Arc D'Triumph have the right of way and vehicles in the circle must yield.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you want to see crazy drivers, try driving in Paris around the Arc D'Triumph. It's 10 lanes going around the Arc with traffic from 5 major streets leading into the circle. If France the vehicle in the circle has the right of way and all vehicles entering must yield. There is one exception to this rule, vehicles entering the circle at the Arc D'Triumph have the right of way and vehicles in the circle must yield.

Isn't that where the Griswolds (European Vacation) entered the rotary and just kept driving around and around and...?