Loss of seniority.

hitman03

Another driver and I started our (30) day packets for full time driving around the same time. He did start his before me it a few weaks into his packet he left 20 some next day air and internationals packages on his truck. This happened nemerous times. He was called in the office with a union stewrt and supervisors and they gave him the option to be dicqulified or start a new (30) packet and loose his seniority to me. He chose loose seniority. So almost a year goes by and I have been working before him cause I jumped over him. Well a newly updated seniority list came out two weeks ago showing me on the bottom so I told my stewrt who was the one in the room when this agrement was made. He looked I to it and got back with me and tells me that his senority reverts back to the day he started his packet. What I would like to know is has anyone heard of such nonsense and does anyone think I should fight this?

P

pickup

Original poster: I wouldn't fight this if I were you. You have nothing to point at in the contract book that says you are entitled to be above him. Just because the other driver, the steward, and management made a "deal" doesn't mean it is enforceable by you or management at this point in time. He made his "30" , simple as that.

And if you do fight this, you're going to piss off the guy who is now above you, I don't know if that means anything to you or not, but you will create bad feelings between you and him. You are , essentially , where you would have been had none of this deal making took place in the first place.

Let it go and be content that you are where you are supposed to be.

That's my opinion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You need to file a grievance and ask the steward in question to submit a statement detailing the "deal" along with the grievance to support your position. If everything you told us here is true then you have a valid complaint and need to pursue it.

File a grievance. The other driver agreed to his position to stay in PC. Make them live up to it. Don't worry about pissing him off unless your married to his sister.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You think you are mad now? Wait until your wife starts chewing you out because her brother took the last open- summer vacation week available!

Indecisi0n

If the guy wasn't let to from the company and came back (going through the hiring process again) he will keep his original senority date (above you). It sounds like management made an office deal to just try and scare the driver so he would stop leaving those airs on his car.

UPSGUY72

You can't give up your seniority date. Unless the driver was DQ and sent back to PT his FT seniority date isn't going to change....

This is no language in the contract to support a grievance being filed...

Also starting your 30 days over again doesn't change your FT seniority date....

Last edited:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
There are two ways to go about this is what you have told us is true:

1. File grievance, or,

2. Just wait. If the guy above you continues to screw up, he'll be fired and you'll regain what's rightfully yours.

UPSGUY72

There are two ways to go about this is what you have told us is true:

1. File grievance, or,

2. Just wait. If the guy above you continues to screw up, he'll be fired and you'll regain what's rightfully yours.

File a grievance for what ??? Just because they make you start your 30 days over doesn't change your driver seniority date. The other driver wasn't DQ which is the only way your driver seniority date would get changed (being sent back to PT).

The steward told the OP basically the same thing...

Also the OP wasn't in the room so what ever he knows is hearsay. So the OP is going to file a grievance based on hearsay and the steward that was in the room at the time is agreeing with company.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If you started the same day then you should have the same seniority date with the tie breaker being your part time seniority date.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

UPSGUY72

If you started the same day then you should have the same seniority date with the tie breaker being your part time seniority date.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

Wrong PT seniority has nothing to due with determining who has more FT seniority if they both start the same day. Someone sign a list first or someone punch in first on the day they started....

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Wrong PT seniority has nothing to due with determining who has more FT seniority if they both start the same day. Someone sign a list first or someone punch in first on the day they started....
We're both in New England and we just bid routes here and did vacation selection so I can say for sure if there is a tie on seniority, it's broken by part time seniority date.