Lost DIAD board

planoupsman

Yesterday, we had a driver in our center lose a DIAD board on the way back to the building. He dosen't remember leaving it on his bumper, but when he got back, it was missing. It is about a 25 mile drive from his area back to the building. Mgmt told him he was going to have to pay for it($2000). Has anyone ever had this happen to them and what was the result? Also, the boards are supposed to have GPS in them. Couldn't UPS locate the board with it?

DS

Fenderbender
I feel sorry for the driver,but it is funny.Some crackhead will think he's on a goldmine ...until the battery dies and it goes into base com.
look or it on ebay ;0)

pretzel_man

Yesterday, we had a driver in our center lose a DIAD board on the way back to the building. He dosen't remember leaving it on his bumper, but when he got back, it was missing. It is about a 25 mile drive from his area back to the building. Mgmt told him he was going to have to pay for it($2000). Has anyone ever had this happen to them and what was the result? Also, the boards are supposed to have GPS in them. Couldn't UPS locate the board with it?

You are correct about the GPS. This happened in my area. I driver lost a board, and ODSe was used to find its location. As long as it has battery life, DIAD should send its position about every 14 minutes.

Have them check ODSe from yesterday.

P-Man

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Somebody pulled over and scooped it up off of the road for sure. UPS should put a "reward if found " sticker on the back of them. The sticker probably would save some headaches.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Somebody pulled over and scooped it up off of the road for sure. UPS should put a "reward if found " sticker on the back of them. The sticker probably would save some headaches.

When the first DIADS came out in '91, a decision was made (at least in my area) to NOT offer any sort of reward for their return. The logic...which I agree with...was that offering a reward would simply encourage them to be stolen. We did in fact have a couple get stolen and when the thief called asking about a reward he was told to "go ahead and keep it." Word soon got out on the street that the DIADS were worthless and we havent ever had a problem with them getting ripped off.

soberups

We have had a few get broken, and the drivers were not made to pay for them.

Your driver should avoid signing anything or entering into any sort of payment agreement, instead he should get his union BA involved. The contract states that we will not be held responsible for loss or damage unless clear proof of gross negligence is shown. It may be up to a grievance panel to determine whether or not leaving it on the bumper meeds that standard.

over9five

Staff member
It may be up to a grievance panel to determine whether or not leaving it on the bumper meeds that standard.

Not only that, but he doesn't remember leaving it on the bumper.

Somebody (I thought it was Sober) told a story of losing a DIAD that got loose from its holder on a bumpy road.

I think THAT'S what happened........

soberups

From the National Master Agreement

Article 10

Loss and Damage

Section 1.
No employee shall make any reimbursement or have monies deducted from his/her pay for loss or damage to parcels except as provided in this Section.....
......When an employee is subject to discipline, the employee shall not make any reimbursement for such loss or damage. When an employee is subject to reimbursement, the employee shall not be subject to discipline for such loss or damage.....
This Article is not to be construed as permitting charges for loss or damage to equipment....

I edited out the portions of the article dealing with Driver Release claims and COD shortages for clarity.

In a nutshell, this Article says that the driver can only be issued a warning letter for losing his DIAD, he cannot be made to pay for it.

The company might try to get him to sign a letter agreeing to pay for it, and threaten him with a warning letter if he doesnt, but they cant force him to pay for it.

If it were me, I would accept the warning letter rather than cough up $2k out of pocket.

The danger here is that, with a warning letter in place, you could be in deep doo-doo if you lose another one....but the language also says that the company cant make you pay for it and subject you to disciplinary action, they have to choose one or the other. So if I lost a second one and was facing termination, I might offer to pay for that one to keep my job.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
they have to choose one or the other. So if I lost a second one and was facing termination, I might offer to pay for that one to keep my job

Sober, only if they give you that option. Since they get to choose, and you refused to pay for the first one.......I think you can see which way this is going to go.

Best advice is not to lose one, and if you do, for sure dont lose another.

d

P

pickup

Or somebody could have run over it with his car, destroying it and the gps signal it emits.

deezilfuelonly

There is no way that piece of crap, made in mexico, sad excuse for technology is worth $2000.00. I'd ask to see the original receipt from the Hecho en Mexico company...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is no way that piece of crap, made in mexico, sad excuse for technology is worth $2000.00. I'd ask to see the original receipt from the Hecho en Mexico company...

Tell you what--why don't you walk in tomorrow morning and tell them you want to sheet all of your pkgs on paper and then let us know what a "piece of crap" your DIAD is?