Lost DIAD board

planoupsman

Update...The lost diad board was turned picked up on Tuesday and returned to the hub on Wednesday, but no one told the driver until Friday.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Update...The lost diad board was turned picked up on Tuesday and returned to the hub on Wednesday, but no one told the driver until Friday.

Sounds like they wanted him to sweat it out a little bit. I'm glad for the outcome. I have misplaced it in the back of the truck before, but it has always shown up. Back when we had DIAD 1, we had a guy leave one on his rear bumper before he backed up to a dock. It fell off and he ran over it. I don't think he had to pay for it, but he had to pay for a few other things he screwed up.

M

Mike23

I'm going to sound like a nag here, but whenever I sheet a package my DIAD goes right back in my 'holster'. This way, never have to worry about it. I don't EVER use the stupid DIAD holding thing in my truck so that way I know where it always is.

I've heard we DO need to pay for DIADs being lost. However, just claim it's stolen and you'll be ok.

P

pickup

perhaps, one might want to look at the diad as your own personal 2,000 dollar bill. To lose the diad in the fashion that the driver did is the equivalent of leaving a rubberbanded stack of 20 one hundred dollar bills on your back bumper as you drive away. I am very happy for the driver that it was found.

DiadDude

There is no way that piece of crap, made in mexico, sad excuse for technology is worth $2000.00. I'd ask to see the original receipt from the Hecho en Mexico company...

If you look at the going rate for "Mobile Computers" with the capabilites of a DIAD (WiFi, WWAN, GPS, Bluetooth, Scanner), you'll see that $2,000 is about the norm for buying them 1 at a time. UPS has a negotiated rate for the hardware which is better than the retail prce, but we also pay a hefty premium for our warranty coverage on these devices. Anything that happens to these boards is covered under warranty unless it can be classified as abuse or gross negligence.

old levi's

blank space
Sounds like they wanted him to sweat it out a little bit. I'm glad for the outcome. I have misplaced it in the back of the truck before, but it has always shown up. Back when we had DIAD 1, we had a guy leave one on his rear bumper before he backed up to a dock. It fell off and he ran over it. I don't think he had to pay for it, but he had to pay for a few other things he screwed up.

That drives me crazy. Brown on brown becomes invisible. They should make the molded plastic case International Orange.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Somebody (I thought it was Sober) told a story of losing a DIAD that got loose from its holder on a bumpy road.

I think THAT'S what happened........
All of our trucks have been retrofitted with a new holder that locks the DIAD in so it doesn't come out on a bumpy road, or in the unfortunate event of a rollover, it doesn't become a projectile.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
All of our trucks have been retrofitted with a new holder that locks the DIAD in so it doesn't come out on a bumpy road, or in the unfortunate event of a rollover, it doesn't become a projectile.

And probably a third of the drivers in my building have already defeated this safety feature by jamming a napkin down into the holder to prevent the clip from engaging the catch on the bottom of the DIAD. These are usually the same ones who stick a pen into the latch on the rear door to prevent it from locking, so that they can open and shut it without using a key.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
perhaps, one might want to look at the diad as your own personal 2,000 dollar bill. To lose the diad in the fashion that the driver did is the equivalent of leaving a rubberbanded stack of 20 one hundred dollar bills on your back bumper as you drive away. I am very happy for the driver that it was found.

I look at it more like just another piece of equipment that the company has issued to me. I do my best to take care of it and prevent it from being damaged; but in real life stuff happens and sometimes it gets dropped or misplaced. Its a tool, and it is subject to wear and tear like any other tool, and like any other tool it will eventually require repair or replacement and that is part of the cost of doing business.

Brownnblue

If you look at the going rate for "Mobile Computers" with the capabilites of a DIAD (WiFi, WWAN, GPS, Bluetooth, Scanner), you'll see that $2,000 is about the norm for buying them 1 at a time. UPS has a negotiated rate for the hardware which is better than the retail prce, but we also pay a hefty premium for our warranty coverage on these devices. Anything that happens to these boards is covered under warranty unless it can be classified as abuse or gross negligence.

Is that $2000 figure for a new diad? I would say that even during normal wear & tear, that these devices depreciate in real hurry.

Seasonalworker

From the National Master Agreement

Article 10

Loss and Damage

Section 1.
No employee shall make any reimbursement or have monies deducted from his/her pay for loss or damage to parcels except as provided in this Section.....
......When an employee is subject to discipline, the employee shall not make any reimbursement for such loss or damage. When an employee is subject to reimbursement, the employee shall not be subject to discipline for such loss or damage.....
This Article is not to be construed as permitting charges for loss or damage to equipment....

I edited out the portions of the article dealing with Driver Release claims and COD shortages for clarity.

In a nutshell, this Article says that the driver can only be issued a warning letter for losing his DIAD, he cannot be made to pay for it.

The company might try to get him to sign a letter agreeing to pay for it, and threaten him with a warning letter if he doesnt, but they cant force him to pay for it.

If it were me, I would accept the warning letter rather than cough up $2k out of pocket.

The danger here is that, with a warning letter in place, you could be in deep doo-doo if you lose another one....but the language also says that the company cant make you pay for it and subject you to disciplinary action, they have to choose one or the other. So if I lost a second one and was facing termination, I might offer to pay for that one to keep my job.
Hello everyone, I’m new to the group and just a Seasonal worker (2018 and again this year) but would love to get on permanently. I came here specifically for the reason of this topic because today after I met up with my driver to receive my packages to deliver in my personal vehicle I’m guessing it left the cellphone/DIAD on the back of his truck. Loaded my first round of packages and took off to start my route only to realize I could not find the phone/DIAD. Went back to my loading point looked around at the packages I had stored to be delivered once I finished the first trip and offloaded my POV and checked and no device. Driver checked his truck and we both checked general vicinity of where he pulled out and could not find the device. I had to go obtain a second device to deliver my route and was told that if I could not locate the device or if it was recovered and was damaged in any way that I would be liable for the cost of replacing it. Going to get up early in the AM and walk the main road and hope I find it in good condition but I’m wondering if I will in fact be held liable if I cannot find it and the price of replacing the cell. I have to have cell service in order to clock in and obtain my itinerary and living in a rural area the service is sketchy at my meetup point with my driver and always have to set my phone on the back of his truck to get it to connect and guessing I’ve left it there this time unfortunately. I don’t think the Union rules cover seasonal workers because I asked about Holiday pay as well on Thanksgiving because 2 years ago (2018) I was almost positive we received it but this year I did not and was told it was because I was not Union. But back to the phone, You guys send some positive vibes and cross some fingers In hopes I find it tomorrow . This seasonal job is my main income right now and with bills behind and Christmas next week it’s going to hurt a lot having to pay for a phone out of a Seasonal payday.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Hello everyone, I’m new to the group and just a Seasonal worker (2018 and again this year) but would love to get on permanently. I came here specifically for the reason of this topic because today after I met up with my driver to receive my packages to deliver in my personal vehicle I’m guessing it left the cellphone/DIAD on the back of his truck. Loaded my first round of packages and took off to start my route only to realize I could not find the phone/DIAD. Went back to my loading point looked around at the packages I had stored to be delivered once I finished the first trip and offloaded my POV and checked and no device. Driver checked his truck and we both checked general vicinity of where he pulled out and could not find the device. I had to go obtain a second device to deliver my route and was told that if I could not locate the device or if it was recovered and was damaged in any way that I would be liable for the cost of replacing it. Going to get up early in the AM and walk the main road and hope I find it in good condition but I’m wondering if I will in fact be held liable if I cannot find it and the price of replacing the cell. I have to have cell service in order to clock in and obtain my itinerary and living in a rural area the service is sketchy at my meetup point with my driver and always have to set my phone on the back of his truck to get it to connect and guessing I’ve left it there this time unfortunately. I don’t think the Union rules cover seasonal workers because I asked about Holiday pay as well on Thanksgiving because 2 years ago (2018) I was almost positive we received it but this year I did not and was told it was because I was not Union. But back to the phone, You guys send some positive vibes and cross some fingers In hopes I find it tomorrow . This seasonal job is my main income right now and with bills behind and Christmas next week it’s going to hurt a lot having to pay for a phone out of a Seasonal payday.
C2BC15F8-AD3A-49AA-B304-E8BE412E37F2.gif

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hollllllyyyyyy Hell

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Go to Walmart and buy a $39 tracphone and give that to them