Lost job was told unionized

10 point

A friend of mind applied for a mechanic's position at UPS a few years ago and the mech boss said he wasn't qualified.

Today, he's a millionaire. Opened his own shop to dyno and build race motors, milled heads for a large manufacturer locally and now has his own muscle car facility.

Yep. Not qualified.

BTW: the mechanic's boss was fired basically for incompetency not long after he turned down my buddy's job application.

@Outsider, keep your head up and keep moving in the direction you want to go with your life. You may have lost a good job (not really your fault) but you may end up with something great like my friend did.

El Correcto

god is dead
O sry I asked them if I can come back when there's another position for mechanic open and of course they yes ed me to death. The sup and other mechanics looked very sincere but just wondering if I should hold my breath and take a bs job for now or is it lost cause
Poor bastard, you thought you were talking to other human beings with emotions. In reality you were talking to UPS management.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Well from begining I'll try to make it breif. I quit a good job to do work as a casual/temp for driving package car. I told hr i wanted mechanics job I am taking the job as temp just so I meet who I have to meet to get there. I worked the season it was tough had no helper and construction on half route during peak and still managed 250 stops. My center manager was very pleased and knew I wanted mechanics job. I gave resumes out like hotcakes just in case too.
After Jan 10 got laid off and got a call back for mechanics late January. Started on Feb 22 as journey mechanic. I was working stationed out of a building 30 min away. I had to cover 4 other buildings furthest away being 40 minutes. I was doing good and on 3rd week review I was told a union guy got my job for whatever reason and wanted me to drive 1hr 30 min away to new building to be based out of. 1hr 30 min being the closest I would have to cover and 2 hr 30 min being the farthest. I declined and said I can't travel those distances to go to work every day. Then they made me sign exit form and such and was talking to me as if I was quitting
The good news here is there are plenty of part time and temp jobs out there due to Obamacare. Bad news is- full time, not so much due to Obamacare.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I was told by some if I "quit" then I don't have a chance of being rehired? but I was on phone with a Manger and he said they will call me first opening. I just am wondering if it's an empty promise
You'll know, when you see another mechanic's job posted online; and it will or won't let you apply, once you enter your SSN.

Dr.Brownz

I was told by some if I "quit" then I don't have a chance of being rehired? but I was on phone with a Manger and he said they will call me first opening. I just am wondering if it's an empty promise

Probably an empty promise.

But if ever there comes a time when they are hard up for mechanics and assuming that manager really liked you they may call you.

P

pickup

You'll know, when you see another mechanic's job posted online; and it will or won't let you apply, once you enter your SSN.

Based on the stories of some repeat casual drivers and some that came back after a few years of doing something else, any repeat applicant who once worked at ups and is coming back will hit a wall once he enters and submits his SSN for a job.

They got messages like this " it appears that you worked for UPS before and we need to check blah blah blah ... before you are permitted to fill out the application further". A half a day later or after a quick phone call, many of those applicants were able to proceed with their applications.

So I say to you, original poster, that you probably will encounter the same message regardless of your real rehire status. Don't be dismayed, that roadblock could disappear once HR becomes aware of your application and after HR calls the sup that you worked for. A quick phone call to your HR person or the ups shop you once worked for after you get blocked might get the ball rolling a little quicker.

But if you are truly blackballed , then you will not be able to proceed further no matter how many days go by.

Tough situation pal, I feel for you but play out whatever hand you got to the best of your ability and I hope it works out for you.

I feel that if your story is true and that you did a good job and that no harsh words were exchanged during the exit process then you shouldn't be blackballed.