Lost Opportunity for good comeback

Indecisi0n

cash the check, baby

Make it rainnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

throwing-money-o.gif

curiousbrain

It will never be good enough, so ... at some point, does it matter anymore?

As previous posters have implied, just work as directed. "You'll be in by 9PM" is like telling your girlfriend "60$ is enough for the anniversary dinner."

We both know it's total bull****.

Johney

I'm sorry but I've always found that by making comments in the morning like "Well I'll see you at midnight!" does nothing to help or solve the problem as a matter of fact I've found it does nothing but piss-off said sup who then accuses said driver of slacking all day to be an ass. Of course this usually isn't the case and most still work hard. I just keep my mouth shut,do the job safe and when the eta message come's out I then put my eta. If it's 11:00 then the ball is in their court then they can't say I left with attitude and dragged ass all day. Pick and choose your battles when the time is right.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I refuse to argue or negotiate with these people.

If the dispatch is hopeless, I politely inform them of that fact prior to leaving the building and then as a courtesy I will send them a friendly reminder after I have taken my lunch. At that point...its their problem not mine and if they cannot or will not take steps to solve their problem I will simply continue delivering until such time as I have to return to the building in order for my pickup volume to be processed. I will then scan any remaining stops as "missed", clock out, and go home. No argument, no debate, no bitching or whining, just the cold hard facts. They can listen to me or they can ignore me, their choice. I get paid the same either way. I have found that the consistent application of this attitude over the years has resulted in them listening to me when I bring problems to their attention.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

If the dispatch is hopeless, I politely inform them of that fact prior to leaving the building and then as a courtesy I will send them a friendly reminder after I have taken my lunch. At that point...its their problem not mine and if they cannot or will not take steps to solve their problem I will simply continue delivering until such time as I have to return to the building in order for my pickup volume to be processed. I will then scan any remaining stops as "missed", clock out, and go home. No argument, no debate, no bitching or whining, just the cold hard facts. They can listen to me or they can ignore me, their choice. I get paid the same either way. I have found that the consistent application of this attitude over the years has resulted in them listening to me when I bring problems to their attention.
When others do this that "make it happen" by skipping lunch, running, and other scrupulous means, they are called whiners. When people like you and I do it , it's called reality. I've had the exact same result as you, using the same methods. One thing I would add is I send one message around 6-7 to inform them one last time I will be bringing stops back. I'd also mention this is why I refuse to use my phone to document these messages of notification.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A smartass comment to follow up your previous smartass comment may not have been your best choice.

Assuming the message was sent "response required", I would have chosen "Option 2" and then made sure I pulled in to the bldg right at 9pm. As far as sheeting the rest of the packages as missed, which would be the right thing to do, that wouldn't happen in my center. They would grab a scanner and exception code the packages, most likely as EC.

what?!?!?! In the BOG say it ain't so!!!

soberups

Approximately 95% of all service failures at UPS are self inflicted. They have nothing to do with outside factors and are the direct result of some nitwit trying to cut corners on staffing and make himself look better on a report. After 100+ years of doing the same thing every day we have all the information we need to make the correct dispatch decisions. All we lack is the common sense and willingess to use it. This isnt rocket science, people.

The Milkman

I (along with most people reading this right now I'd imagine due to the post-holiday fallout) had a crazy dispatch today. 190 stops in 5 different route areas as a split route, most of it woods & countryside. The truck for this route was used for early-AMs so it got back late resulting in me leaving 40 minutes after my start time. The computer said it was about 15 stops over the max. This split route had windshield time of over 30 minutes to get to one of the sections from one of the other sections and about 20 minutes another time, plus a couple smaller "connecting" drives, plus about a total of 45 minutes of drive time for the to and from the center. By the way, most of the driveways were a few football fields long and couldn't be driven up.

Sooo, you now have most of the background. When I saw the dispatch this morning I told my sup "see you at 11pm" and he gave me static....

Anyway, the point of this post was the message I got from OMS tonight. "____ (on car sup) wants you in by 9pm."

I couldn't think of a good smartass response at the time. What would you have sent back?

Finish 190 and in by 9, you will get 191 stops the next day:gun_banda

Unfortunately for us in our center,if our eta is after 7:45 pm we are told to come back to the building,unload all our pick up volume and go back out to finish delivering. So hopeless dispatches don't phase our management team. This allows them to put out less routes and send more people home,thus saving money that way. Face the facts,since the company went public we became true Under Paid Slaves.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Unfortunately for us in our center,if our eta is after 7:45 pm we are told to come back to the building,unload all our pick up volume and go back out to finish delivering. So hopeless dispatches don't phase our management team. This allows them to put out less routes and send more people home,thus saving money that way. Face the facts,since the company went public we became true Under Paid Slaves.

​9.5 grievance?

BrownArmy

It's totally awesome asking for a sig at 21:30...

(insert circus music)

soberups

I have politely informed my management team that deliveries after 9:00 at night will be sheeted as "missed" since in my professional opinion it is unsafe to walk up dark driveways or knock on doors---particularly in the country---after that time. I have in the past made case-by-case exceptions to this rule under emergency conditions or for medications etc. when the customer is expecting us but the bottom line is that at 9:00 I am shutting it down and heading in whether I am done or not and if they dont like it they can either (a) make better dispatch decisions or (b) issue me a warning letter for insubordination and we will see how far that takes them. Knocking on someones door at 9:30 at night to deliver a package is not appropriate, it is not professional, it is not safe, and it is not service.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm surprised at how many customers comment at how late I am out when it is 6pm....I just kindly tell them that ups isn't your average 9 to 5 job...but in my mind I'm thinking something else totally opposite.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Its also a good way to get shot.

I was missing a package last week and my supervisor delivered it at 9:30 on his way home. The consignee is a retired Army officer and goes to bed early. He got out of bed and opened his door holding a Colt 1911, he was still mad about it when I delivered another box a couple of days later.

newtothis

1. Watch the comments in the morning, these pricks could deem it as job sabotage. Ups doesn't need to be told a route is ridiculous heavy, come on that's why the spent hundreds of millions of dollars on Orion, edd, pas and tr whole nine. LOL
2. Work as instructed. It will make you a lot of money. Best time to pay of all our bills is while we're working. Yes I know this job does make family life Monday - Friday obsolete. But it could always be worse. Just think of all those professions that work holidays and weekends that miss out on that family time while we're home enjoying ours