Loving Retirement !! ( if you can call it that )

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
only been out 4 months and am loving it! seem busier than i was when working.

cant wait to get up in the a.m after getting to sleep at night for the first times in 25 years.

coffee and news on TV.
take dogs for nice leisurely walk.

check emails to see if i sold any junk on ebay or craigslist.
go to PO to mail off boxes of junk i sold, store, and anywhere else i want to go.

work in garden or yard or just putter around or watch a movie on Netflix.
have time to make a real nice dinner or some afternoon delight.
walk the dogs again after dinner and then read a good book or work on a hobby project.

also about once a week we jump in the car and look at the map and just go exploring somewhere.
we have some longer trips planned for a week or longer. we just love having so many options.

and the checks arrive like clock work.

how about you other retirees ?

Ms.PacMan

cant wait to get up in the a.m after getting to sleep at night for the first times in 25 years.

coffee and news on TV.

go to PO to mail off boxes of junk i sold, store, and anywhere else i want to go.

walk the dogs again after dinner and then read a good book or work on a hobby project.

also about once a week we jump in the car and look at the map and just go exploring somewhere.
we have some longer trips planned for a week or longer. we just love having so many options.

Sounds like heaven!

The Milkman

coffee and news on TV.

It's nice to wake up without an alarm clock, relax and have your morning coffee. Putz around without any pressure of time commits. Only time commit is when is dinner going to be ready. This Jan 1st will mark my 8th year gone. Bought an RV back in 08, been on a couple of 3 month tips up to Alaska. Also many other stateside trips over the years.

Just enjoying my time, We earned the right to relax now and leave the work to the rookies.
Time flies as you know, and that is the one thing we can't buy so I hung it up at 55 while still in fairly good shape. Good Luck, live to 100!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It's nice to wake up without an alarm clock, relax and have your morning coffee. Putz around without any pressure of time commits. Only time commit is when is dinner going to be ready. This Jan 1st will mark my 8th year gone. Bought an RV back in 08, been on a couple of 3 month tips up to Alaska. Also many other stateside trips over the years.

Just enjoying my time, We earned the right to relax now and leave the work to the rookies.
Time flies as you know, and that is the one thing we can't buy so I hung it up at 55 while still in fairly good shape. Good Luck, live to 100!
that's a great post. the hardest thing for me has been the transition. i worked for a little over 40 years and now i can do whatever i want.

sometimes i feel guilty about not making any money but i do a lot of work around the house etc.

it's amazing how much time is involved in working. 12 hr days plus getting ready for work, commuting to work etc. it's about 70-75 hrs a week. then on the weekends and vacations you try to catch up on all the chores around the house.

we are just now starting to relax . taking more day trips and tomorrow leaving for a 3 day trip. im sure that will only wet our appetites for a trip to alaska and/or a trip to new england.

i look forward to getting up in the morning.

rod

Retired 22 years
western conference. pretty strong.

i actually got a retroactive raise and check for the last 3 months. dont know why.

anyway , i spent it today at costco.

They tend to get a good chunk of my $$$$ every month also. Just bought a new 50 inch TV from them.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
They tend to get a good chunk of my $$$$ every month also. Just bought a new 50 inch TV from them.

a couple years ago we bought a 52 inch vizio and just LOVE it. it automatically has 2 years warranty and we bought 3 more years for 60 bucks. how can you beat that?

we got car and home insurance thru Costco and saved over 400 bucks a year. i just wish we could do everything in the world thru Costco. they do things right. been a member for about 20 years.

that would be a good road trip. touring the country and stopping at the Costcos for FREE samples and a $1.35 yogurt.

The Milkman

that's a great post. the hardest thing for me has been the transition. i worked for a little over 40 years and now i can do whatever i want.

sometimes i feel guilty about not making any money but i do a lot of work around the house etc.

it's amazing how much time is involved in working. 12 hr days plus getting ready for work, commuting to work etc. it's about 70-75 hrs a week. then on the weekends and vacations you try to catch up on all the chores around the house.

we are just now starting to relax . taking more day trips and tomorrow leaving for a 3 day trip. im sure that will only wet our appetites for a trip to alaska and/or a trip to new england.

i look forward to getting up in the morning.

I sometimes wonder how I got anything done around the house while working...I hear ya loud and clear about working on the weekends to catch up on chores. And when you have that crappy rainy day on Saturday it just stinks. If you worked over 40 years at UPS I have one question for ya, What took you so long to hang it up? I started at 30 and left promptly when I was eligible. Unless you are counting all your years combined including time at UPS. I have heard from many retirees that were contemplating and or putting off retiring only to hear them say down the road that it was the best thing they ever did and should of done it sooner.........

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I sometimes wonder how I got anything done around the house while working...I hear ya loud and clear about working on the weekends to catch up on chores. And when you have that crappy rainy day on Saturday it just stinks. If you worked over 40 years at UPS I have one question for ya, What took you so long to hang it up? I started at 30 and left promptly when I was eligible. Unless you are counting all your years combined including time at UPS. I have heard from many retirees that were contemplating and or putting off retiring only to hear them say down the road that it was the best thing they ever did and should of done it sooner.........
15 years for other places. 25 years for brown. left as soon as i was able.

in good health too.

rod

Retired 22 years
so ups gave you great life and now a great retirement and you ship your stuff USPS.

Makes sense.

Have you shipped anything lately through UPS? My wife wanted me to send a stupid picture to her sister in Arizona NDA. Are they friggin nuts charging that much for a letter? I know my brand loyalty stopped the day I walked out the door. They wrote me off so I wrote them off.

upschuck

Have you tried with the employee discount? Makes it very competitive if not cheaper than anyone.

I saw on UPSer's that retirees are now able to use UPSers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Have you tried with the employee discount? Makes it very competitive if not cheaper than anyone.

Me or the wife have never been able to get the discount. We spent probably 3 hours combined on chat and on the phone with people trying to get the discount last year. Finally we put it in a flat rate box and shipped it USPS.

rod

Retired 22 years

I was never able to get on UPSers.com--(haven't tried in years). If I remember right the first thing they asked for was your Employee ID number. I wouldn't even know what an employee ID number was as we never used that crap back when I worked.