LP: Stolen Goods from High Value Package

nystripe96

I really enjoy going to work & busting my butt every night. I feel like I was born to do this job, as hectic & chaotic as it is at times. I really can't wait for this issue to be resolved or over, so I can hopefully go back to work with a clear head

iowa boy

I really enjoy going to work & busting my butt every night. I feel like I was born to do this job, as hectic & chaotic as it is at times. I really can't wait for this issue to be resolved or over, so I can hopefully go back to work with a clear head

Go back to work with a clear head now, you have done nothing wrong. LP is just questioning everyone involved to see if all stories coincide with each other.

rocket man

our loaders dont load high values . we have to sign for theM . and( if ) they are a send again then they go baC k to high value room and it starts over again, THE NEXT DAY.

JonFrum

A release is not part of Weingarten. Is this additional contract rights that you guys have?
The Contract says the representation must be requested. But it seems the Union can do the requesting too, not just the employee. Maybe the Union would have a standing order for representation in all cases, especially serious ones. The Union should go ballistic if they find there was no representation, and no offer of representation to a New Hire (who probably never heard of his Weingarten Rights.)

ARTICLE 4. STEWARDS
. . . Recognizing the importance of the role of the Union Steward in resolving problems or disputes between the Employer and its employees, the Employer reaffirms its commitment to the active involvement of union stewards in such processes in accordance with the terms of this Article.

. . . The Employer recognizes the employee’s right to be given requested representation by a Steward, or the designated alternate, at such time as the employee reasonably contemplates disciplinary action.

. . . When requested by the Union or the employee, there shall be a steward present whenever the Employer meets with an employee concerning grievances or discipline or investigatory interviews. In such cases, the meeting shall not be continued until the steward or alternate steward is present.

If an employee does not wish to have a Union Steward in any meeting where the employee has a right to Union representation under this Article, the employee shall sign a waiver of Union representation, a copy of which shall be furnished to the Union upon its request. . . .
- - - -
Questions:

Was the High-Value Package in a White-and-Red-Stripped sealed High-Value Bag? Hand-delivered and put in the trailer seperately, and logged by High-Value clerks?

Was the trailer going by rail? Trailer-On-Flat-Car (TOFC).

What was stolen?

How much was it worth?

How much was it insured for?

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
When I was 'upstairs' for the package I didn't touch, they had a pre-printed release. It stated I had been informed of my rights to representation and had refused it. This was in a meeting with the district security manager. He had the release.

nystripe96

I spoke to a shop steward last night. He said LP does this all the time, & if they suspected me at all I would've been canned already. He told me not to worry, they're just trying to get all the info possible.

steward71

Weingarten Rights under NLRB vs. Weingarten, Inc. 430 US 251 88 LRRM 2689

What you have and don't have under these rights given to you.

You have the rights only during investigatory interviews, this occurs when a supervisor questions an employee to obtain information, which could be used as a basis for discipline or ask an employee to defend your conduct.

Pay close mind to this one.
If you feel a reasonable belief that discipline or other adverse consequences may happen (you have this feeling not the company telling you no they are not making you feel this but if you have this feeling)---then you have the right to seek your union steward. (don't let the company pick for you or don't pick the ones that like to hang out with supervisors at work, after work or on facebook) You have a right to say that you feel this may lead to discipline and would like the interview to stop at once until my steward gets here. If they don't stop then keep re-stating the same thing over and over "I feel that this interview is going to lead to discipline at this time and wish to have my steward here at this time." (this should be your only answer at this point)

Management is not reqiured to inform the employee of his Weingarten Rights.

When the employee makes the request for a union steward to be present Team LP or I know it all Super Sup. or your company Management staff (what I like to call them the Chimp ring) have 3 options:
1. it can stop questioning until a steward arrives
2. it can call off the interview
3. it can tell the employee that it will call off the interview unless the employee voluntarily gives up his riths to a union Rep. or steward (which you should never do)

The employer may tell a steward or you that a Rep. or steward can only be there to observe, not true.
The Supreme Court has clearly stated a stewards right to assist and counsel workers during the interview.

Now what the court rules about a steward and again what management must do.
Management must:
1. inform the steward of the subject matter of the interview or interrogation
2. the steward can be allowed to speak privately with the employee before the interview
3. let the steward interrupt to clarify a question, to object to confusing or intimidating tactics.

The steward can not tell the employee what to say but may advise them on how to answer a question.
At the end of the interview the steward can add information to support the case of the employee. Ex. tell them others were in the load as well and to have them show him or her the ID of the employees who were in the load, or ask for the scan records.

The best answer I have found for an employee to give with out placing themselves on the line is to say "not to my knowledge or understanding of the issue."

These are your rights and if you don't enforce they will be lost. I have seen over the last 5 years stewards are less educated about the rights that have been given to us by others who did stand thier ground and get what you have.
This way of thinking of well it will pass and it will not happen to me. Well it may not happen to you but it is always better to be safer then sorry in the end. So know your rights and use them.

nystripe96

Thank you. I'm definitely feeling better about my job security now than I did the other day. Life was never meant to be easy, so it is what it is

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I had thought policy was, (locally anyway)- UPS will fire the employee first, then later interrogate. That has been standard practice here. Seems to be more of just a way to bully an employee into a manufactured conversation.