LU 177 "selective" Seniority.

Overpaid Union Thug

Local 480; we have classification seniority and in over 20 years I've never heard anyone complain about it.
Whites Creek feeder drivers did. But it was really because of the package drivers in Massman and Franklin being able to use their fast track into package to jump over Whites Creek guys that had more company seniority but less full-time classification seniority. They'd get into feeders before them.

govols019

You smell that?
Which is why I'm glad we don't have a local wide seniority list.

Being denied an opportunity to move up because of someone from a different building would suck. As it is now, I only have to worry about the people in my center.

542thruNthru

I see you 246 people that have signed. How big of a percentage is that out of everyone that will vote?

Just curious. 246 wouldn't even be half of what we'd need to change our seniority here.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Does that mean that the change was done 23 years ago?
I haven't paid a whole lot of attention, but did offer up how it is dealt with in my Local.
As @Inthegame has alluded, it's a polarizing issue, where the players tend to line up where their bread is buttered.
In the end, with the company hiring 6-1 from inside, while sponsoring us in our licensing, I don't see how separating the classifications seniority-wise is fair.
Again, here in my Local, we keep our seniority as we pass between all full time classifications; packages, feeder, or 22.3.
I don't see where that is unfair?

Inthegame

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention, but did offer up how it is dealt with in my Local.
As @Inthegame has alluded, it's a polarizing issue, where the players tend to line up where their bread is buttered.
In the end, with the company hiring 6-1 from inside, while sponsoring us in our licensing, I don't see how separating the classifications seniority-wise is fair.
Again, here in my Local, we keep our seniority as we pass between all full time classifications; packages, feeder, or 22.3.
I don't see where that is unfair?
Either system is "fair" if it's left alone. Changing systems is positive for some and detrimental to others. It's moving the goal posts in the middle of the game.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Either system is "fair" if it's left alone. Changing systems is positive for some and detrimental to others. It's moving the goal posts in the middle of the game.
It's UPS, the goal posts are always moving, as the game is always changing.

At risk of derailing the thread and acquiescing that this issue is a poor example, I will suggest that this "precedence mindset" ingrained in our infrastructure may be an inherent flaw in our Union/Company game plan.
Far too often, legitimate issues are dismissed on the notion that "this issue was already argued and decided in 1993".

Because we got it wrong in '93, should we be saddled to that decision...forever?

If it's been that way in your Local for as long as you say, why are you just now raising a stink about it?
It's been talked about for years. But no one had come up with the idea of carry your seniority when you transfer instead of using bidding out side of classification language. Now it's come up and it looks like a big hit.

Then why was it changed in the first place. It used to be where you did carry company seniority where ever you went in local 177. Then it was changed.

So you are right. It should have never happened. The ones to blam are the past BAs. They broke the system and it needs to be fix!