LU 177 "selective" Seniority.

One list. Pick jobs, vacations, and days off, all in seniority order. You can't say it fair just because a few cronies set it up this way decades ago. How can someone with 28 years, who really toiled, (BTW, how do you toil in feeders?) walked 2 picket lines, (wildcat 1993, 2 weeks in 1997) go into feeders now, and be bumped off of a job or Sunday double time by someone not even at full progression? What if 28 year guy wants to work serious OT and bank some cash for retirement in 2 years? If there was Sunday double time in package he could stay there, but there isn't. How many other locals nationwide have this set up?

govols019

You smell that?
Building seniority rules. Should every time. I have a handful of guys in my building worried about me coming out because it will be one more spot that they move back. Sorry, seniority rules.

What about long time part timers who go full-time years after junior employees?

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
You guys are retarded. No way in hell should a package car driver with more seniority then me bump me. He passed on the job and that was his fault not mine. If he wanted feeders bad enough he should have took the job sooner. You nancy boys can't handle night life can get bent.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
here we pick vacations, days off and extra work by full time seniority no matter where you gained it.
you only use feeder classification for bidding runs.

and seriously if there is enough work for Sunday double time outside of peak they should be creating another feeder job.

Overpaid Union Thug

Some seem to think they should be able to move in wherever they want.

Does any local have one senority list for all positions?
Yes. Well, full-time positions anyway. I think that's how all locals should be. That in combination with what the OP wants would be the fairest way to operate. That's how it would be everywhere if seniority really did rule. But it doesn't.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Please elaborate for us. What rules are you decrying, and what changes do you proposed?

Other than "that's the way it is", why, in this local if a Package guy transfers from Bldg A to Bldg B he goes to the bottom, but a feeder guy can transfer from same Bldg A to same Bldg B and dovetail in?

Cementups

Box Monkey
What about long time part timers who go full-time years after junior employees?

You guys are retarded. No way in hell should a package car driver with more seniority then me bump me. He passed on the job and that was his fault not mine. If he wanted feeders bad enough he should have took the job sooner. You nancy boys can't handle night life can get bent.

What's the point of having any type of seniority if it doesn't matter.

@govols019 , i'm not sure exactly what you mean. Clarify please.

govols019

You smell that?
Should the part timer that put off going full time bump junior employees that went full time ahead of him when the part timer goes full time.

10 point

Some seem to think they should be able to move in wherever they want.

Does any local have one senority list for all positions?
957 (FT). No classifications except qualification for each job requirement.
Seniority prevails but only in each building to my understanding.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How about different locations. Should a Teamster from NJ be able to transfer to another state and dovetail in?

10 point

How about different locations. Should a Teamster from NJ be able to transfer to another state and dovetail in?
It is done with an educational transfer for part timers but not FT of course unless you're following your work. Some would like it some not so much.

I bet every vacation resort area's UPS transfer waiting list would be a mile long with drivers names if you could arbitrarily transfer as FT.

Cementups

Box Monkey
So, you would have one list for all, no matter what position, or as it is now, each job a separate list?

In our building it's technically both. You have hire date and you have Full time seniority. If you want to change positions in the building then you fall in were you seniority tells you to fall it. Seniority has it's privileges. So if you have 30 years FT and I have 5 years FT you should have the right to choose the "easier" job. You put in the time, you deserve it.

Yes he should, as long as he is as member of the local union. In this case a New York State member of LU 177, since you mentioned NJ. You're playing semantics because your argument is baseless. If you honestly believe a package guy who walked the picket line in 1997, but didn't go into feeders until 2009, Should be junior to an off the street hire in 2008, you're delusional.