LU 177 "selective" Seniority.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

If you are not in local 177 you don't know what I am talking about.
Do you know what you are talking about? I know a lot of people in local 177........ And it doesn't seem like you have a clue about any of the procedures about making changes in the contract.........what was the reaction by the members when this was brought up at the membership meeting.......I heard everyone was against the seniority change......were you at the general membership meeting? Tell me the truth about what happened at that meeting if what I am saying is inaccurate

oldupsman

In your hub it's established as the practice and everyone knew that going in. Other locations have classification seniority where your question would be preposterous. Why should a driver with 20 years of crap weather night driving in feeders have a pkg guy with 0 days in feeders come in (and grab a day run) ahead of him/her? As said in an earlier post, changing any current practice screws somebody.

Because the guy coming in has more seniority. What's your point? Package car drivers don't count? Package car drivers don't have rights?
Seniority is seniority, that's it. It doesn't matter what job you're going to or coming from.

Do you know what you are talking about? I know a lot of people in local 177........ And it doesn't seem like you have a clue about any of the procedures about making changes in the contract.........what was the reaction by the members when this was brought up at the membership meeting.......I heard everyone was against the seniority change......were you at the general membership meeting? Tell me the truth about what happened at that meeting if what I am saying is inaccurate
A majority of members will but in proposals to have the seniority language changed to were a full time employee in local 177 (Ups) will carry over his or her full time company seniority when they transfer to another full time classification.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Not yet. Don't worry, it will come contract time. This will come to a vote and we will see what will happen. If it changed once before it will change again. Nothing is written in stone.. Nothing!
Keep dreaming. Like I said before i'm not in your local so you really don't know anything about what goes on here.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

A majority of members will but in proposals to have the seniority language changed to were a full time employee in local 177 (Ups) will carry over his or her full time company seniority when they transfer to another full time classification.
It is my understanding that when this was brought up 90% of the members at the meeting were booing against what you want........why are you so confident when everyone was against what you want

oldupsman

Because they left their job. Two senority lists. Never the twain shall meet.

Never the twain shall meet? Are you serious. In my hub there were 4 different seniority package car lists, 1 for
each center and 2 different feeder lists, 1 for local day work and 1 for all over the road work. And when a job went up for bid,
no matter which job you bid, feeder, package, night, day, you simply dovetailed into the list you bid. Seniority is seniority.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Never the twain shall meet? Are you serious. In my hub there were 4 different seniority package car lists, 1 for
each center and 2 different feeder lists, 1 for local day work and 1 for all over the road work. And when a job went up for bid,
no matter which job you bid, feeder, package, night, day, you simply dovetailed into the list you bid. Seniority is seniority.
Not here. Stay in your job or lose senority. That is is the 177 system.

1. Half the room was not clapping or cheering when people voiced out against changing the seniority language. The members that want this changed might not have been loud out the meeting but you don't have to be loud to put in a vote.. Also you can't put no more the 200 members in meeting hall. There are 450 (and counting) members that will vote yes to this................ 2. A majority of members will put in proposals to have the seniority language changed were a employee transfers from one classification to another will carry over their full time company seniority. Then it will be addressed by the BAs and then if the BAs see this is what the majority still wants then it get's put in contract negotiations. Then it will pass.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

We have 4 centers in our building. Each center has its own list. Then there is feeders list also. I can't bid a route in another center. If I go to feeder I go to the bottom of the list. PT no matter how many years they have also goes to the bottom of the list.

We also bid a route and keep it till someone else retires or we wanna give it up.

oldupsman

Not here. Stay in your job or lose senority. That is is the 177 system.
We have 4 centers in our building. Each center has its own list. Then there is feeders list also. I can't bid a route in another center. If I go to feeder I go to the bottom of the list. PT no matter how many years they have also goes to the bottom of the list.

We also bid a route and keep it till someone else retires or we wanna give it up.

Both systems are so incredibly stupid I don't even know how to respond.

Inthegame

Because the guy coming in has more seniority. What's your point? Package car drivers don't count? Package car drivers don't have rights?
Seniority is seniority, that's it. It doesn't matter what job you're going to or coming from.
Yeah it does matter if your local has a classification seniority system. The point was fairly clear as an illustration of another viewpoint.

By The Book

Do the drivers who go feeders and go to the bottom, are they able to use their seniority when the annual bids come out?