Lucky to work for UPS

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
You people really are full of yourselves. Yes, the work is tough as hell, but there are a lot of people out there who do more for less. A lot. If UPS fired every single driver, there would LITERALLY be people lined up around the block who would do your job for $20 an hour.

I don't mean to demean any of my Teamster brothers, but we are still lucky to work for this company. A secure job with great pay and benefits is worth a lot these days.

I repeat, luck has nothing to do with the fact that I have been a UPS driver for 21 years. Maybe you lucked out I don't know, I do see some drivers who screw up and screw off who are lucky they are still out there. But I doubt they'll last much longer if that continues.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Wo, let me nip this in the bud now before a war starts. First off I do not know your credentials, I am sure you are a very hard working individual and I am sure you did your time at UPS. I have never been a driver and probably will never be one. I know being a driver is hard work, you are under a lot of stress to get pkgs delivered and to do pick-ups on time also. I was just speaking from experience from my package handling days and how loading trucks, sorting packages, and unloading trailers was not fun and was very strenuous. I may have taken offense by your "a walk in the pansies" comment and I may have fired back at you in a negative way that you took offense to. So, in closing my apologies to you if you took offense to my comments. If you see what I wrote at the end of my post I said both jobs are hard.. Have a nice evening..Haz..

No war, bro. I respect your opinion and I don't intend on completely minimizing certain jobs difficulty or stress at UPS. Everyone has their own poisons to deal with daily.

I do believe that since the implementation of PAS, preload (which IMO was one of the more difficult jobs) is no longer that. That isn't to say it's easy, but it's not the same anymore. Unskilled, much like the unload or sort.

P.S I dont drive full-time, just a friend/T clerk/shuttle....so I have it pretty easy compared to those men and women out there grinding it out!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I repeat, luck has nothing to do with the fact that I have been a UPS driver for 21 years. Maybe you lucked out I don't know, I do see some drivers who screw up and screw off who are lucky they are still out there. But I doubt they'll last much longer if that continues.

Everyone is lucky to be alive in the US of A. From there, who really cares. I don't feel lucky to be wearing brown every day, but I do feel a sense of pride.

Mike Hawk

I do believe that since the implementation of PAS, preload (which IMO was one of the more difficult jobs) is no longer that. That isn't to say it's easy, but it's not the same anymore. Unskilled, much like the unload or sort.

Never loaded pre-PAS, but I do believe that preloading is still much more challenging than any other position when you do it RIGHT. Anyone can figure out how to put a box on the right shelf with 10 minutes of training. Being able to do it with a misload a month and stop for stop loading is not so easy, and is definitely not unskilled.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
We are lucky to work for UPS . You just dont realise how lucky until you get fired.:happy-very:

it always makes me laugh when people ask " how did you get a job at UPS " I always reply " I got off my fat ass and filled out an aplication"

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Agreed! Preloading is much more difficult than loading or unloading. Any hub job, absolutely any hub job, is better than preloading. One of, if not, the worst job in the company.

I have done all, loading, unloading, preloading and driving and pre loading was the easiest of all. and just in case you care, I loaded 6 cars 2200 peices (1 car was a bulk stop ) usualy in less than 4.5 hours I made between 1 2 hours bonus per day. that was back before the packages had pal labels and before generation Y surfaced. Being a stud helped.:surprised:

Mike Hawk

488 pieces per hour, that’s about the same as our 2 heaviest preloaders combined(9 trucks), and more than a third of our centers volume. Somehow I doubt that.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
You people really are full of yourselves. Yes, the work is tough as hell, but there are a lot of people out there who do more for less. A lot. If UPS fired every single driver, there would LITERALLY be people lined up around the block who would do your job for $20 an hour.

I don't mean to demean any of my Teamster brothers, but we are still lucky to work for this company. A secure job with great pay and benefits is worth a lot these days.

yep, Idiots like you would be lined around the block to take our job for 20 dollars an hour, they would also quit within 2 days because 20 an hour wasnt enough. lol, go teach your mom to suck eggs

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
488 pieces per hour, that’s about the same as our 2 heaviest preloaders combined(9 trucks), and more than a third of our centers volume. Somehow I doubt that.

what the hell do you do all fricken night if you only get 6000 packages in your center ? our center used to get 30 plus

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?

theres no way you would belive then that as a driver I deliver 95 stops 400 peices by 1 30 and pick up 65 stops 2000 peices , (700 of those are reds that I unload) and am home to make love to my wife by 6 15 pm

IDoLessWorkThanMost

How is unloading a trailer more difficult than preload? An untrained monkey can unload a trailer.

An untrained monkey can read 55 purple 8100 and put it in the right spot. Infact for a banana the monkey would probably audit his own trucks for misloads. The union guy just goes home. :biting:
Pre-PAS, preload was defintily a different animal. Now like I said, it's 2-3 times as easy a job.

Just my opinion.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
lets not tear down the pre/load here drivers. it is a hard job too!!! lets all drop our attitudes and never forget where we all came from!!!! some of these people don't want full time and most of them couldn't fathom the pressure we are all under to p/up deliver all that stuff in one day!! the best pr/loaders are the ones who were peak helpers or tried pkg car and for some reason went back!!we all tow the line here from the guy who cleans the bldng to the senior feeder driver who has the easiest run!! no one is exempt from some sort of pressure !!! i often brought my pre/loader a coffee or soda and donut in the a.m to show i apreciated his work!!! maybe we could all take a hard look at every ones jobs here and see no one has it easy, i'm a feeder driver who has done everything here but fly the plane or took the tie!!!!!

brownrodster

Agreed! Preloading is much more difficult than loading or unloading. Any hub job, absolutely any hub job, is better than preloading. One of, if not, the worst job in the company.

I disagree. I've done most inside jobs. The worst was loading outbound feeder trailers on the evening shift. Packages came in on rollers on the floor so you had to bend down to pick up every package (while preload has a belt that lets you pick up a package in yoru power zone) then stack them often times over your head all the way to the top of the trailer. Definately the worst job ever. handle way more packages than preload. often 1500-2000 per night. On preload load 3 trucks and if you're heavey it's 1000 packages in a longer shift and you pick stuff up off the belt in your power zone then load them in a package care on a shelf.

Second worst job was preload unloader. Unload feeder trailors at a furious pace. Easiest labor job is evening shift unloader in my opinion because in my hub you didn't have to unload that fast because if you did the belt would shut off.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I work in a team, and everyone has his job. Without one of the team we all struggle to keep up. I treat the person that cleans my office, here at this job. When I am at UPS, I treat evryone as a team member and would hope that they treat me with that same respect. I do appreciate my UPS job.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I don't believe loading is an easy job. I did it for 3 hours a day then went out and delivered for another 7. Even with pal labels it isn't easy, and any loader who can use a little initiative to give the driver a good load is one I would like to have.

Most loaders do as has been said, look at the label and put it in place, what we need are loaders who will think a little and make adjustments in the load as they go to make it fit AND load so it comes off easily.

HazMatMan

I have done all, loading, unloading, preloading and driving and pre loading was the easiest of all. and just in case you care, I loaded 6 cars 2200 peices (1 car was a bulk stop ) usualy in less than 4.5 hours I made between 1 2 hours bonus per day. that was back before the packages had pal labels and before generation Y surfaced. Being a stud helped.:surprised:
I have a grievance!! They made me load 8 to 10 trucks 600 to 800 pieces each car during peak back in the 80's..You had it easy stud boy, lol.

Hedley_Lamarr

I just wish my pre loaded would stop burring my freekin airs in the load. Nine O'clock start with 15 to 20 airs is bad enough without spending time looking for the airs before leaving the building...:dissapointed:

Griff

theres no way you would belive then that as a driver I deliver 95 stops 400 peices by 1 30 and pick up 65 stops 2000 peices , (700 of those are reds that I unload) and am home to make love to my wife by 6 15 pm

Either your mileage is very low or you skip your hour lunch and run all day. Do you even have a lunch break in the UK?