Lugnuts falling off the package car

thessalonian13

In the last 2 months I have been driving different p-800's and p-1000's from the 1980's. On 3 occasions in the last 2 months I have found 2 or more loose lug nuts during my pre-trip on 3 different trucks. Has anybody else had this problem?

probellringer

maybe its your manager(loosening them)to making sure everyone does their pretrip....imagine that? getting brought in office and him saying he did that. that would be a new one.and you get disciplined.you never know

RoyalFlush

One of Them
In the last 2 months I have been driving different p-800's and p-1000's from the 1980's. On 3 occasions in the last 2 months I have found 2 or more loose lug nuts during my pre-trip on 3 different trucks. Has anybody else had this problem?

Whats a pre-trip? I haven't seen anyone doing one in so long, I thought we stopped doing them when we quit washing trucks. You must be the last of the Pre-trippers. Its not likely that they came loose the day you got the truck. Good find though. I've heard of wheels coming off and causing serious injuries!

bigbrownhen

We do pre trips here, but just a quick walk around to check lights, signals and note any (new) damage left from the guys parking the night before. Just how do you tell if lug nuts are loose? I do a visual but can't say I check the lug nuts very well, now I'll pay more attention.

UPSF Peeon

maybe its your manager(loosening them)to making sure everyone does their pretrip....imagine that? getting brought in office and him saying he did that. that would be a new one.and you get disciplined.you never know

i bet less then 5% of drivers check every single lugnut every single day, if any at all

thessalonian13

I look for water or rust marks around the base of the lug nuts and i turn the lug nuts i think don't look right. That's how i found the loose nuts. It's scary to think of could have happened.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We do pre trips here, but just a quick walk around to check lights, signals and note any (new) damage left from the guys parking the night before. Just how do you tell if lug nuts are loose? I do a visual but can't say I check the lug nuts very well, now I'll pay more attention.

First you need to make sure the wheels have been painted and are in good paint repair, Then you can look at them daily to see if there is any sort of discoloration around the nuts, this will generally only happen if they are loose, if you notice it then check it by hand and write it up in the DVIR.

Just so you all are aware, those centers with pas/edd have a promt in the DIAD asking if you have done a pretrip and signed off the DVIR book, If for so reason you have a problem that is linked to not doing a proper pretrip and you have answered yes to these questions, you could be looking at a falsification of records and/or failure to follow instructions.

I simply do not understand why people insist on putting themselves in the line of fire by not following the methods that are taught to us all.

I simply do not understand why people insist on putting themselves in the line of fire by not following the methods that are taught to us all.
What is your average over allowed?

I want to ask this to a person who follows all methods everyday. It sounds like you do. I don't follow all the methods and I still get beat.

Nice catch on the lug nuts! You probably prevented a serious accident and injury to yourself and others. Ever watch your buddies perform a pretrip...some just go thru the motions while others actually give a damn.

The Milkman

Back in the late 80's I was in a P-600 during peak and while turning left at an intersection my Drivers side front Wheel fell off..What a jolt. It was not the lugnuts but I believe a bearing or something. It smelled like something burning while I was on the highway , just got off the exit when it happened.. Easy O/T:surprised:

P

pickup

How and when was the problem taken care of when you discovered the loose lug nuts?

pdalepartsman

there is a tool available for the mechanic to check the wear of the lug stud hole's in the wheel and the taper of the lug nut.
since your driving an older car it could have 22.5 inch wheels. since this size wheel is not used on newer cars UPS is not buying new wheels of this size and the lug holes and nuts wear out over time and use. this will cause the nuts to tighten up with the use of an impact gun but, you will see rust around the nut base to the wheel where it's not contacting the wheel.

upssup

After some time the holes in the wheels start to become oversized and the lugnuts will not hold. It is not uncommon to find 6 to 10 wheels a month that need to be replaced. We scrap them as soon as we start to suspect they are hogged out to prevent future problems. We have very, very few issues with wheel studs and lugnuts here because of it.