Lunch Break

UPS Lifer

So are you denying the fact that you talk out of both sides of your mouth? How exactly can you be a staunch advocate for people taking their entitled lunch, yet a few sentences later claim that skipping it is a "good intention". You make no sense and you come off as the prototypical management liar. I'm glad you didn't directly respond to anything that I said, exactly what I thought you'd do. Spew more of the same old minutia about unrelated things, derailing the conversation...

...It's a shame you weren't my center manager, I'd get to tell you to your face what I really think about you and not have to worry about being censored by this website.

You are trying to put words in my mouth to show I am a liar. This is typically what kids do. When someone they don't like confronts them, they go into a tirade claiming all sorts of things - such as liar - dishonesty - evil....and like you said you would like to cuss me out if you could - I wish you did work for me...you wouldn't have that hatred in your voice that you have now about management folks.

I believe in taking a lunch (probably the only thing I agree with you on!)
If you go back and look at my posts - you will see that though I disagree with not taking a lunch each person needs to do what they need to do make it work for them. If their intentions are good, Karma will take over. I am paraphrasing this so that you can understand what was in my mind when I wrote what I did.

But then again....how could you see that in my post, you are to busy twisting what I say to make me sound like an "evil" person (your word not mine).

Griff - What were you looking at when you saw my post to Browniehound? It was straight forward and I even gave examples. In my area of the country - most on road sups were drivers...so they did walk in your shoes. I drove for 6 years. You are 25. You could only be a driver for 4 years. Come back in 2 years when you have the same amount of time behind the wheel that I have had and then we will talk more. Maybe you will have matured by then and we can have a productive conversation!!!!

Griff

You are trying to put words in my mouth to show I am a liar. This is typically what kids do. When someone they don't like confronts them, they go into a tirade claiming all sorts of things - such as liar - dishonesty - evil....and like you said you would like to cuss me out if you could - I wish you did work for me...you wouldn't have that hatred in your voice that you have now about management folks.

I believe in taking a lunch (probably the only thing I agree with you on!)
If you go back and look at my posts - you will see that though I disagree with not taking a lunch each person needs to do what they need to do make it work for them. If their intentions are good, Karma will take over. I am paraphrasing this so that you can understand what was in my mind when I wrote what I did.

But then again....how could you see that in my post, you are to busy twisting what I say to make me sound like an "evil" person (your word not mine).

It's in this thread and I don't need to go back and reread it. This karma stuff is starting to make me laugh, no offense. So if someone skips their entitled lunch period and their "intentions are good".....KARMA.....takes care of the rest? By karma do you mean that you will personally overlook the falsification of records of said employee by entering their hour and working through it?

4 years is correct and the job has changed quite a bit since you were on a truck doing 70 stops. Come talk to me when you get back on a truck and get rid of 350. 327 was my max this Christmas, but you're a better person than me so 350 shouldn't be a problem.

Edit -- A little sidebar here, for all of you people out there skipping your lunch trying to get karma on your side - I suggest you take a close look at your state laws because a break is required in some states and the company and yourself will be fined. You'll never hear that from the horses mouth, UPS doesn't want to acknowledge that people skip their lunch, it's their dirty little secret. UPS thinks they operate in their own country, state laws and federal laws seem to be ignored by management. Meanwhile the center team is punching in a lunch for those who skip it to ensure that UPS gets their 1hr of free work (also known as stealing).

Last edited:

UPS Lifer

Now you are starting to make me laugh! Yea ! I remember telling everyone to falsify their DIADs...It is in all my posts. You must be smokin some good stuff!

I drove in WLA and Cheviot Hills out of the Olympic Hub. My normal day included 165 delivery stops and 42 pu stops that filled my P 800 every day. I picked up 400 to 700 pkgs a day. Oh, back then we wrote everything down on paper. We didn't have a DIAD. Living in the Los Angeles area and working in what is now 3 districts, I have delivered every type of route you can name. High rises - dessert - Mountains - beach - Malls - snow (in the mountains) residential - dirt. Did I leave anything out? If I did it is because I have forgotten more than you know. Nothing has changed except technology and NDA. You still have to bust your butt (then & now) working 10 plus hours a day. Ohhh! my peak loads averaged 300 stops a day for 12 straight working days. Peak day would get to 425 stops! We didn't have helpers back in the 70s. But drivers would go help each other. Either working on the car together or taking stops off. The day I had 425 stops 3 drivers came by and took 50 off of me!

Do you shave yet?

Griff thinks that everyone is a liar...I don't believe he's been around very long. I only did 140 stops during peak but 200 miles.

Griff

Now you are starting to make me laugh! Yea ! I remember telling everyone to falsify their DIADs...It is in all my posts. You must be smokin some good stuff!

I drove in WLA and Cheviot Hills out of the Olympic Hub. My normal day included 165 delivery stops and 42 pu stops that filled my P 800 every day. I picked up 400 to 700 pkgs a day. Oh, back then we wrote everything down on paper. We didn't have a DIAD. Living in the Los Angeles area and working in what is now 3 districts, I have delivered every type of route you can name. High rises - dessert - Mountains - beach - Malls - snow (in the mountains) residential - dirt. Did I leave anything out? If I did it is because I have forgotten more than you know. Nothing has changed except technology and NDA. You still have to bust your butt (then & now) working 10 plus hours a day. Ohhh! my peak loads averaged 300 stops a day for 12 straight working days. Peak day would get to 425 stops! We didn't have helpers back in the 70s. But drivers would go help each other. Either working on the car together or taking stops off. The day I had 425 stops 3 drivers came by and took 50 off of me!

Do you shave yet?

The way I am talking is how it works here, why should I assume it's different anywhere else? It's one company and I can't bring myself to believe that each local/district/building is like night and day. Would you or did you personally discipline people who skipped their lunch and put it in the board? Did your center team go back into the system and put in the missing lunches? I guess I'm trying to figure out where the karma comes in here...

As for your dispatch as a driver, I have to say that is shocking and news to me. I have lunch everyday with 4 drivers who combined have about 115 years of UPS driving experience (1 circle of honor) and they paint a much different picture of UPS back in the day.

UPS Lifer

Griff,
I never had to go further than t/w without documentation in this area except as noted below. If a driver had a good reason for not taking a lunch it needed to be pre-approved. They had to call from the area and explain why etc. Anything that was changed on the timecard was reviewed and approved by the employee. i did fire at least 4 supervisors for cheating on their own timecards. In California, supervisors went to TC before the rest of the country because of the lawsuit.

As for UPS around the country....I personally worked (and managed) in many different hubs and buildings in 3 different districts. Each center, building and hub as well as the districts, were different. Each one had a distinct "personality". I am not familiar with Phili but it sounds like you have lousy working conditions. Believe me, there are other parts of the country that are not like that.

As for my dispatch as a driver....California was well established in the UPS network even before we went 48 states. As for the metropolitan area of LA - the density was already there. There are hundreds of other areas in Southern California that continued to expand and are continuing to expand in present day.

Griff

Griff,
I never had to go further than t/w without documentation in this area except as noted below. If a driver had a good reason for not taking a lunch it needed to be pre-approved. They had to call from the area and explain why etc. Anything that was changed on the timecard was reviewed and approved by the employee. i did fire at least 4 supervisors for cheating on their own timecards. In California, supervisors went to TC before the rest of the country because of the lawsuit.

Well I regret the things I have said then and I apologize. What happens here is literally worlds different than what you are describing. Tons of people skip their lunch and are merely told to "record" it and it is then overlooked. A lot of these people are bonus drivers (with the help of the 1hr) and nobody says boo. I'm not going to air out what has happened to me on this board, but lets just say I wasn't born with my "attitude" about UPS. Not using it as an excuse, but when you're a target for following the contract you tend to become resentful and embittered. I believe that I am held to a different standard than the people who skip their lunch and run all day, it pisses me off more than you'll ever know.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
For the first 5-6 years I worked I never took a break, ate a sandwich as I sorted my resis. Then I added up what I was losing in $ one hour everyday, I became a little more secure in my position and told my center manager that I was going to start taking my one hour lunch and I was not going to take it after unloading my pu. He made a joke out of it and ridiculed me in front of others saying oh, so what you doing over at the chevron everyday. Well, that's where I was sorting my resis at 6:30 pm and eating my sandwich. I took my lunch at noon after delivering nda and missed a whole street of businesses (industrial route) two days in a row. Guess what? Somebody else got that street after that.

Now I have a mostly residential route (not for long pas goes in a week from Monday) I still take my full hour lunch even tho they only take out what we record now, and we are required to take at least 1/2 hour. I take the full hour because I know if I don't they will give me more work. I enjoy that break, and sometimes it just isn't long enough so I take my 15 paid break also. I sit inside at a table in a Chevron (a different one) and eat my lunch and read the paper, it's the highlight of my day (next to handing out dog treats to all my four-footed friends)

AlaskaMike

JJ53,

As far as lunch is concerned....I come from California, one of the strictest states on the enforcement of worker rights or rules. The contract supercedes most regulations unless it is a law. You have to take at least 1/2 hour lunch. You can take up to 1 hour lunch however. If your management team tells you to take a 1 hour lunch you are obligated to take the 1 hour lunch. If your management team tells you to take only 1/2 hour lunch that is what you are obligated to take. Your management team cannot tell you not to take a lunch. In California (Pacific Region) there are people that are specifically assigned to monitor reports to make sure that California law is being followed in regard to the lunch laws!

As you probably know, this can be monitored through the DIAD.

Under our previous local rider lunch was to be taken between the 4th and 6th hour of your working day. We were usually told "you have to take your lunches, but we don't care if you take them at the end of the day." It's funny how the management obligation of planning routes to accommodate a lunch break becomes the employee's obligation to work through lunch and kill a half hour at the end of the day. We have the option to take a half hour or an hour lunch, at our discretion. State law here only requires the company to offer the opportunity to take a lunch break. Our new rider gives us the right to ask to skip lunch on a daily basis, but management is telling us that it only gives us the right to "ask" it doesn't obligate them to ever allow it. Now that's what I call "negotiating in good faith."

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
It's funny how it's so different from center to center about what's allowed and what's not allowed concerning lunch breaks. We are required to take at least 20min but can take up to 50min. We get a paid 10min break. We are told that they don't want us to go over 11hrs for the day but when we call in and say we have more than 11hrs of work they reply "then just don't go over 12hrs":wink2: Whatever

Tony31yrs

I usually liked to kick it in the butt before lunch so that I could "relax" a little after. I would usually take a little later lunch, like 1 or 1:30, but I had to take a lunch because I got hungry by then. We got a 45 min lunch. I usually didn't need that long to eat, so I took a book along and read for the rest of the time. I wasn't going to hand them a half hour or so of time and a half by skipping it. I never took it at the end of the day either because that was when it was time to go home and eat supper. If I thought I would have missed packages or stops, I would call them and tell them they could find me at a certain location for the next 45 min while I took lunch. They would never tell you to skip lunch, but there were guys that they new they could intimidate that would do it.