lunch in Diad

article22

Banned
Looks like the only people who have an issue is the runners that claim " I take all my breaks and lunch" This will happen nationwide one day!! It will create jobs and make it a level playing field!!

PACNW

What stops someone from prerecording 20 stops and running them off during lunch?

Telematics and GPS. Eventually you have to click those stops off and they will show that you didn't deliver them to the right place. We had a driver fired for that. He didn't get fired for skipping his lunch, he was fired for falsifying records.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Looks like the only people who have an issue is the runners that claim " I take all my breaks and lunch" This will happen nationwide one day!! It will create jobs and make it a level playing field!!

I am sure many senior drivers would consider me a runner/gunner. I will say I work at a good/steady pace but I take my full hour ten DAILY. I typically take it at the end of the day at a local mall with a few other drivers, or a few lovely young women who work in said mall ;)

Nobody is going to force me to take my lunch when THEY want me to, I will take it when I say

I really enjoy doing my route the day after a roadrunner filled in for me!! Not in1 on a surepost or basic Lots of extra pickup pieces because they got there an hour early!!!Take your stinking lunch and do the job the right way!!These are the same people that cry when they get laid off!!!!They do not need to run all these routes if everybody skips there lunch or takes it at the end of the day! Dont ask me to drop my grievances next time you grt fired for not following the rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QKRSTKR

I also think the Diad should lock down for lunch, but it should be at the drivers discretion when to take lunch. All rtes are different. I wouldn't want to be in the "hood" delivering in the dark cause I had to take my lunch between 3rd and 6th hour. Been there done that and If I don't have to, I'm not.

thedownhillEXPRESS

At Fedex the driver manually enters in their timecodes on our Power Pads.
This includes lunch, the power pad locks up for the time you are on break, but it is up to the driver when to enter this, it doesnt just happen at a set period during the day.
You were quite easily able to tell who was doing the falsifying when this occured a few years ago.

Alleycar

I have no issue with the diad locking up as long as it only does so at the times you input. When I take my breaks is my choice.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The bottom line here is that not only legally, but contractually all employees must be paid for time in service to their employees.

If you are not completely off duty during meal time then you are in service to the employer and must be paid.

This is work that other teamsters or potential dues paying members are entitled to.

In a sense you are stealing from the membership(or potential membership) and giving their money to your employer.

This is just not right.

The rich (corporations) do not need more concessions from the working class in this country.

I can't see of a bigger concession than working for free.

I guess maybe dying on the job because you were coherced to "work as directed" and not follow UPS safety training or OSHA standards to just "get it done" might qualify as a bigger concession.

I guess our country's love of money might argue that point. But in my opinion dying would be a bigger concession.

Sincerely,
I

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Out here in California we must take a full hour and two fifteen minute breaks. A thirty minute lunch is legal but must have center approval first. With that said I think it's a shame we have these rules in regards of taking them. There are quite a bit of reasons why one might skip their lunch and none of them are any if your concern. My job is to deliver and pick up packages, and as long as my job is finished there should be nothing keeping me on the clock. Personally I coach my sons various teams and the only way to make it there is to skip my lunch. Does this hurt you some how. I don't think so. Your plan day is still just that, your plan day. So do as mentioned all over this site and worry about your own job.

I live and breath sports but I took this job knowing ill miss plenty of stuff and certainly will never be able to coach a sports team.

You hurt plenty of part timers who could have a driving job if you didn't skip lunch.
Explain how me skipping my lunch or taking less than the full hour effects any part-timer? I have a route that is dispatched everyday with the same work. I finish my route with or without a lunch there is zero impact on my plan day. The only impact would be that my route is back to the building earlier than normal. So again please explain how it impacts part-timers.

Explain how me skipping my lunch or taking less than the full hour effects any part-timer? I have a route that is dispatched everyday with the same work. I finish my route with or without a lunch there is zero impact on my plan day. The only impact would be that my route is back to the building earlier than normal. So again please explain how it impacts part-timers.

8 one hour lunches equall 1 full time job, in theory.

if you took your lunch and you had to MISS some business stops..they would have to put another route in.Go ahead and keep skipping your lunch then cry when you are not working because they cut five routes!! Why do some people even join the union???

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I don't see how my lunch is effecting a job. If I skip my lunch I do just that. I never said I work on my lunch. My plan day stays the same regardless of my eating schedule.

oldngray

nowhere special
My center everyone was required to take a lunch. The local union pressured and forced UPS to require everyone to do so.

I don't see how my lunch is effecting a job. If I skip my lunch I do just that. I never said I work on my lunch. My plan day stays the same regardless of my eating schedule.

Example;

you have a business route and there are 7 business routes around you. Everyone takes an hour lunch at 12:00. That is 8 hours of work during the business day = another driver. If all 8 drivers take an hour at 17:00 there is no need for that 9th route.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Non of the runner see how it affects anyone. Exactly why they continue to do. You'll never get it so I won't waste my time.

barnyard

KTM rider

It used to be that if you skipped your lunch, the OMS would enter a lunch and break period in for you. That amounts to free work for the company. At my center, if you do not enter your full break and full lunch, you will receive progressive discipline.

I am guessing it is the same at many centers, so while you say there is no harm, no foul in my part of the country, you would be giving UPS 5 hours of unpaid work every week.

iruhnman630

I'm a greedy bastard on this one, but I want the best of both worlds:

Force the company to dispatch routes with the built in ability to take the full break between hours 3 and 5, requiring more routes, yet leave the option of when (or even if) to actually take that break up to the driver, allowing the driver the possibility of getting home to things much more important than UPS.

Of all the routes I cover in my center I know exactly one that is regularly dispatched with the ability to take a full one-hour break between dels and pickups.

I don't like taking long breaks during the day unless I have something to do.