lunch in Diad

Omega man

This is what I don't get about the lunch debate... if I have ten hours of work to do what difference does it make if I do that work from 0900 to 1900 with no lunch as opposed to 0900 to 2000 with a one hour unpaid lunch? In both scenarios I am getting the same production done and I am getting paid the same amount. The only difference is I get home an hour earlier.

In my local we get two paid 15 breaks and a one hour unpaid lunch with further language that we may take just a half hour unpaid lunch with approval. In practice there is blanket approval for taking just the thirty and really nobody has said anything for years if we don't use the unpaid time.

I should have the right to take a lunch break of course. Dispatch me with all biz stops and pickups where I would have to skip lunch to make it all happen by closing time and I will toss the bs flag and call for help.

And don't get me started on working off the clock. Can't see why anyone would do that. We make a billion in profit after taxes a quarter, we are a cash machine. I'll take my share for every minute thank you very much and sleep well at night.

But why force me to take unpaid time during the day when I really would rather have that time in the evening? I don't see the benefit in that to anybody.

Simply, safety.
Working all day without a break, DOT studies have shown, increases the probability of you getting in an accident. Because of this, they will force you to take a break by law beginning this July. This is to guard against driver fatigue.
Working all day without stopping for lunch also enables UPS to put more work on drivers and eliminate routes because you are showing UPS that the work is getting done.

upsman68

Out here in California we must take a full hour and two fifteen minute breaks. A thirty minute lunch is legal but must have center approval first. With that said I think it's a shame we have these rules in regards of taking them. There are quite a bit of reasons why one might skip their lunch and none of them are any if your concern. My job is to deliver and pick up packages, and as long as my job is finished there should be nothing keeping me on the clock. Personally I coach my sons various teams and the only way to make it there is to skip my lunch. Does this hurt you some how. I don't think so. Your plan day is still just that, your plan day. So do as mentioned all over this site and worry about your own job.

I live and breath sports but I took this job knowing ill miss plenty of stuff and certainly will never be able to coach a sports team.

You hurt plenty of part timers who could have a driving job if you didn't skip lunch.

I totally disagree. My daughter is in choir and drama. I skip my lunch to go see those performances. You am never get them back.
It's not like I do it everyday I also know that she appreciates my support

I could care less what anybody else thinks about it. I put my family first.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
What part of my stating that I I might skip my lunch to put me in a position to get off earlier says that I'm a "runner and gunner". How fair is a statement from me that all drivers who drag their feet cost driver jobs. It's not difficult to say that unproductive drivers cost UPS money thus making us less competitive against our lower paid competitors. What do you guys think about that. Thanks a lot for costing us jobs, you should be ashamed. So like I said before what I do on my route that is dispatched the EXACT same everyday on one day verses the next has ZERO impact on rather a par-timer is promoted.

Who said anything about dragging my feet? I work at my own pace.
Oh I see you don't like people making quick assumptions of what your day to day operations are. Well take a lesson from this and next time keep you opinions of what I'm doing to yourself. I don't know you and you don't know me so when I simply say that there are situations that arise that give me an option to skip my lunch leave it at that. I take my lunch and breaks 95% of the time but the 5% that I don't its for important activities that I gladly except.

UPSGUY72

If the lockdown is based upon the times that I put in then I totally agree----if it is based upon the times set by mgt then I totally disagree.

That isn't going to work all you have to do is put your lunch right after your last stop/ pickup and then drive back to the building taking your lunch.

I would love it if they shut the board down for an hour between sometime between 12:00 and 3:00. they would have to add routes and or stop cutting routes. They would also have to promote more PT to drivers and peak would be less stressful. Peak would be less stress full as they couldn't pay drivers lunches for the month of Dec so again they would have to hire more drivers and give drivers less stops as they don't like people in my area being out to late as is messes up the Local sort than then impacts the FT preload shift we have.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is what I don't get about the lunch debate... if I have ten hours of work to do what difference does it make if I do that work from 0900 to 1900 with no lunch as opposed to 0900 to 2000 with a one hour unpaid lunch? In both scenarios I am getting the same production done and I am getting paid the same amount. The only difference is I get home an hour earlier.

In my local we get two paid 15 breaks and a one hour unpaid lunch with further language that we may take just a half hour unpaid lunch with approval. In practice there is blanket approval for taking just the thirty and really nobody has said anything for years if we don't use the unpaid time.

I should have the right to take a lunch break of course. Dispatch me with all biz stops and pickups where I would have to skip lunch to make it all happen by closing time and I will toss the bs flag and call for help.

And don't get me started on working off the clock. Can't see why anyone would do that. We make a billion in profit after taxes a quarter, we are a cash machine. I'll take my share for every minute thank you very much and sleep well at night.

But why force me to take unpaid time during the day when I really would rather have that time in the evening? I don't see the benefit in that to anybody.

Simply, safety.
Working all day without a break, DOT studies have shown, increases the probability of you getting in an accident. Because of this, they will force you to take a break by law beginning this July. This is to guard against driver fatigue.
Working all day without stopping for lunch also enables UPS to put more work on drivers and eliminate routes because you are showing UPS that the work is getting done.

No not simply safety. That ten hours without break may take 11-12 with break. Have to break and all kinds of stuff.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Oh I see you don't like people making quick assumptions of what your day to day operations are. Well take a lesson from this and next time keep you opinions of what I'm doing to yourself. I don't know you and you don't know me so when I simply say that there are situations that arise that give me an option to skip my lunch leave it at that. I take my lunch and breaks 95% of the time but the 5% that I don't its for important activities that I gladly except.

I really don't give a crap whether you skip your lunch or not. I've argued with people like you about this ever since I've been on here. There is no use making an intelligent point, because it falls on dead ears and empty heads. Thanks for your 'lesson'. I feel better already. I'm just not as smart as you, so I'll keep my lunch breaks and my money to myself, because I feel bad for UPS that they feel the need to intimidate drivers to work for free to make their kids games.

upsman68

"And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home, Dad
I don't know when, but we'll get together then
You know we'll have a good time then"

cino321

I've never understood this taking lunch at the end of the day nonsense. If you're going to do that, you might as well call it dinner.

According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, the definition of the word lunch is the following:
: a usually light meal; especially : one taken in the middle of the day

: the food prepared for a lunch

Don't take your lunch after you finish your commercial split that you don't usually get. Don't take your lunch after your pick ups because that's the only way it'll fit. Don't solve their dispatch problems by skipping or delaying your break. Who cares if you're going to have missed pieces! You didn't put the work in your truck, they did. Take your lunch when you're supposed to, for the amount you're supposed to, when you're hungry!

There are drivers in my local who have been fired for putting a lunch into their DIAD and not taking it for falsification.

Brownslave688

Simply, safety.

God runners will never get IT!!!!!

There are days taking my hour break might add 2-3 hours to my day.

Tiny Panda

We have to take our breaks by law here in the UK, if you are found to be working during your lunch by VOSA (the agency that controls commercial vehicles) you get hit by an immediate $400 fine and if you were involved in an accident where someone is injured or killed and they compare you breaks record with your work record and find you have been working then you will find yourself in jail. Currently its only full sized vehicles covered by the rule, anything under 3.5t is exempt but UPS replacing the Sprinters with new trucks that although still will be under the exemption will be fitted with digital tachographs the same as the large trucks so driving hours and breaks can be enforced.

Omega man

No not simply safety. That ten hours without break may take 11-12 with break. Have to break and all kinds of stuff.

Your king of logic is the reason why you will always be a Brown Slave and a victim of UPS. Enjoy your broken body after you are forced to retire early with a reduced pension.

You sound like the same guy who always gets in trouble and ask your Union brothers and sisters to bail you out!!!Keep skipping your lunch to the unemployment line..maybe then you will understand We dont OPT IN and take our lunch and breaks to help out the roadrunners!!!You boss will love you until you screw up...then bub bye!!!!Go to Fedex

barnyard

KTM rider

You are correct, it might. That is not my problem.

Not taking a break or lunch in the middle of the day is working in a sweatshop, one of the things unions worked so hard to eliminate.

But whatever. Runners are going to run till they can't run no more. Then they are going to complain about UPS not taking care of them because they have to retire early. Shockingly, it will fall on deaf ears.

Brownslave688

Your king of logic is the reason why you will always be a Brown Slave and a victim of UPS. Enjoy your broken body after you are forced to retire early with a reduced pension.

Wow u obviously read the post wrong. I meant safety isn't the only reason to take lunch. I take my lunch everyday and safety is very important to m.