lunch in Diad

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok I don't get all the posts that say ill take my break when I want to take break. Not when management says. People almost every job in the nation has designated Lunch and break times. We are very lucky.

article22

Banned
Hellfire obviously this subject and I matter!!! Take a look at the response!! Atta boy hellfire keep running to disability!!! And bestthingsinceautomatic I could probably do your easy paper route too !! You deliver to mansions with a brand new auto!! Try to take a trip in the west side of town. Lol

upsset

You know what they say about assumptions, don't you? I live well within my means.

I am an adult. I know the requirements of my job include taking a paid 10 minute break and an unpaid 45 minute lunch break. I have already conceded that I do not take them during the contractually required times (1st and 3rd, 3rd and 5th) but I do take my full lunch and break. I was slammed yesterday and came very close to not taking my lunch but I thought better of it and took my full 45 minutes from 1700-1745.

There is no need to lock down the boards.
You just stated one important reason to lock out the boards, it is a lunch break not a dinner break. You would have to take during the contracted times if the board locked out. If you have too much business work to take lunch at the
correct time, than you have too much work and there should more routes.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Out here in California we must take a full hour and two fifteen minute breaks. A thirty minute lunch is legal but must have center approval first. With that said I think it's a shame we have these rules in regards of taking them. There are quite a bit of reasons why one might skip their lunch and none of them are any if your concern. My job is to deliver and pick up packages, and as long as my job is finished there should be nothing keeping me on the clock. Personally I coach my sons various teams and the only way to make it there is to skip my lunch. Does this hurt you some how. I don't think so. Your plan day is still just that, your plan day. So do as mentioned all over this site and worry about your own job.

I live and breath sports but I took this job knowing ill miss plenty of stuff and certainly will never be able to coach a sports team.

You hurt plenty of part timers who could have a driving job if you didn't skip lunch.

I totally disagree. My daughter is in choir and drama. I skip my lunch to go see those performances. You am never get them back.
It's not like I do it everyday I also know that she appreciates my support

I could care less what anybody else thinks about it. I put my family first.

When you skip your lunch, do you record " no lunch" in the DIAD? I understand and to some extent agree with your reasoning; I have kids myself and I skipped a few lunches to make it to school functions, ball games etc. but when I did I put " lunch 12;00-12:00" in the DIAD so that my hours were accurately and honestly recorded.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Hellfire obviously this subject and I matter!!! Take a look at the response!! Atta boy hellfire keep running to disability!!! And bestthingsinceautomatic I could probably do your easy paper route too !! You deliver to mansions with a brand new auto!! Try to take a trip in the west side of town. Lol

I have 28 yrs in as a runner,,guess what,, i will retire as one,,not ducking out to some combo joke job because delivery driving is too hard boo hoo hoo

ill work for the next 5-6 years, then ill start conversating with every customer I deliver too, and stay out until 730 every night. @article lol, you I've done ghetto city routes cold too, and smash them. Lol. But im trying to be where your at in ten years with a article 22 job.

article22

Banned
I have 28 yrs in as a runner,,guess what,, i will retire as one,,not ducking out to some combo joke job because delivery driving is too hard boo hoo hoo

tell the truth hellfire......... you would take a cambo job but you cant afford to!!! you live above your means!!! UPS loves the 95% of you suckers!! run run run need the ot and bonus to pay for your lazzzy wife that dont work!!! lol

C

chuchu

You are correct, it might. That is not my problem.

Not taking a break or lunch in the middle of the day is working in a sweatshop, one of the things unions worked so hard to eliminate.

But whatever. Runners are going to run till they can't run no more. Then they are going to complain about UPS not taking care of them because they have to retire early. Shockingly, it will fall on deaf ears.
We have one of those strange people in our center and speedy gonzalez got fired for not wearing his seat belt.....3 times! The management keeps people like that for number enhancement but us real service providers like them because when we are overdispatched we take ALL our breaks according to the contract and the OMS sends speedy out to bail us out-or should I say bail their dispatch out. At least we know that we can be busted for not wearing our seat belts 3 times (Lord only knows why anyone would want to put themself at risk in traffic like that?!) and come back to work again. Poor speedy gongalezes....they will understand it all when they get out of physical rehab in 10 years or so.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I don't have a problem with the board locking up during breaks as long as we chose when. Only those that plan on working through part, or completely through, their breaks should have a problem with this. That's really all there is to say about it.

I have an Iraq war veteran on my route who had a big chunk of his ass blown off over in the sandbox. Hes on disability and the VA sends his NDA Signature Required meds thru us a couple of times each month.

If he isnt home in the morning when I make the first attempt, he knows where I usually take my lunch break and he goes there to meet me. If I see him pull in to the parking lot I get up from my table, go out to the truck, get his meds, let him sign for them, and then resume my lunch break. It takes about 2 minutes for me to do all that, which I simply add on to the end of my lunch break so that no work is being done off of the clock.

I cannot imagine how aggravating and embarassing it would be for me to have to tell this guy "sorry, but my DIAD is locked out for another hslf hour, you cant have your meds until then."

In the real world, sometimes the rules need to be bent a little bit.

Integrity

Binge Poster
tell the truth hellfire......... you would take a cambo job but you cant afford to!!! you live above your means!!! UPS loves the 95% of you suckers!! run run run need the ot and bonus to pay for your lazzzy wife that dont work!!! lol
article22,

I am sorry for butting in but I have to say what I have to say.

I don't approve of negative comments towards family members, especially wives, on this forum.

What good can possibly come from it?

This is only my opinion of what I feel is right.

No disrespect intended.

Peace.

Sincerely,
I

CharleyHustle

In the Central Conference, we get a 10 minute paid break and are only required to take 20 minutes unpaid break, but can take up to 50 minutes unpaid. Since 2008, an unscientific guess would be that well over a majority of drivers in my barn take just the 10 and 20, and I know only a handful that still take a whole hour. Now, to me this means that most drivers want less lunch, not more. Also, if you take no lunch, none is deducted from your time worked. If you aren't docked for not taking it, are you really skipping it? Anyway, it seems to me less unpaid lunch is what most people want.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a 10 minute paid break and 45 minute unpaid meal break. We have to record both in our DIADs. Notice I said "record" rather than "take. There is no oversight as to whether drivers are actually taking their lunches or are recording them and working through them. It would be really easy to catch the lunch skippers but this won't happen as mgt benefits from this. To me 45 minutes is too long----I would prefer 30 minutes----but I work as directed and take my full 45 minutes, albeit not within the contractually mandated times.

CharleyHustle

----I would prefer 30 minutes----

I think most drivers would want to take less of an unpaid break. I think its time to get past this "lunch skipper" debate. It certainly divides us as union members, which I'm sure the company doesn't mind. We should poll the membership, and if most members want less let's negotiate it into this next contract. Something along what the Federal Government is enacting in July seems fair. I should add that since we've had our language on lunch breaks the "lunch skipper" debate is pretty much gone from my center.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In the Central Conference, we get a 10 minute paid break and are only required to take 20 minutes unpaid break, but can take up to 50 minutes unpaid. Since 2008, an unscientific guess would be that well over a majority of drivers in my barn take just the 10 and 20, and I know only a handful that still take a whole hour. Now, to me this means that most drivers want less lunch, not more. Also, if you take no lunch, none is deducted from your time worked. If you aren't docked for not taking it, are you really skipping it? Anyway, it seems to me less unpaid lunch is what most people want.

That is not the rule in the Central Region.
The rule is we are required to take a 30 minute unpaid lunch between the 3rd and 6th hour, as well as enjoy 2 ten minute breaks on the clock.
Your theory about what drivers want, while probably accurate, only serves to create more work for less drivers.
Educate the Me-sters.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

nah,,, wife beats my take home minus the benefits, i however have some self respect and dont choose the the easy way out. its called being a man