Lunch period?

By "lunch checks", do you mean that they check to make sure that there is a lunch period put in the DIAD or do they actually print out delivery records to compare the lunch period in the DIAD with delivery activity, if any, during that same time period? To me that would be the only way to ensure that people are actually taking their lunches when they say they are.

I think it was NHDRVR who told us about a driver in his center who was fired for putting in his lunch as 12-1, working during that time and not actually taking it until much later in the day.

Yes, lunch within the mandated time and no work performed in the board. This check is done above the center management team. They are also able to determine if you happen to scan in an ARS during lunch. And check del. times the rest of the day to see if maybe someone is DR'ing during lunch and recording them in the board later.

SWORDFISH

By "lunch checks", do you mean that they check to make sure that there is a lunch period put in the DIAD or do they actually print out delivery records to compare the lunch period in the DIAD with delivery activity, if any, during that same time period? To me that would be the only way to ensure that people are actually taking their lunches when they say they are.

I think it was NHDRVR who told us about a driver in his center who was fired for putting in his lunch as 12-1, working during that time and not actually taking it until much later in the day.

There's a difference between putting a lunch break in your board and actually taking a lunch break. Around here all management cares about is that the report shows that every driver driver took their hour lunch, they could give a rats ass to whether you spent that hour sitting down or running house calls. In fact they would prefer that you do the latter and in a bonus center that's exactly what happens. I suspect that's what big arrow was talking about.

What I mean is their are reports on if your punched out for lunch during the right period of time and if any work has been performed during that time. A guy got a warning letter for entering the gas he got before he punched out for lunch. It was inside his lunch punchout because you can start your lunch at anytime in the past as long as thier is no delivery completed(it has to be after your last delivery).Your board locks up during this time.
Of course their are ways around these things though. You could deliver resi's at lunch time and copy the last 4 of each tracking # and enter them as you want after your lunch period is over. However your SPORH will look fishy and if they look into it they will see via GPS that your lying and my boss doesnt care if you bonus or not he will call out the firing squad.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What I mean is their are reports on if your punched out for lunch during the right period of time and if any work has been performed during that time. A guy got a warning letter for entering the gas he got before he punched out for lunch. It was inside his lunch punchout because you can start your lunch at anytime in the past as long as thier is no delivery completed(it has to be after your last delivery).Your board locks up during this time.
Of course their are ways around these things though. You could deliver resi's at lunch time and copy the last 4 of each tracking # and enter them as you want after your lunch period is over. However your SPORH will look fishy and if they look into it they will see via GPS that your lying and my boss doesnt care if you bonus or not he will call out the firing squad.
That doesn't happen around here. You can roll all day and as long as you put an hour lunch in the board no one will say a word. Obviously they could check if they wanted to, but they don't. I can't imagine why :wink2:

SWORDFISH

That doesn't happen around here. You can roll all day and as long as you put an hour lunch in the board no one will say a word. Obviously they could check if they wanted to, but they don't. I can't imagine why :wink2:

You guys just need a state law followed by a class action lawsuite and that will all change :funny:

Overpaid Union Thug

Jones is right. Entering a lunch and actually taking a lunch is two different things. The local management team won't do "lunch checks" because they know all of their "good drivers" would get canned. Either that or the district/region team hasn't gotten around to our center yet. But boy once they do things should get interesting. I still think ALL centers should have the software that freezes the DIAD once it's clocked out for lunch.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jones is right. Entering a lunch and actually taking a lunch is two different things. The local management team won't do "lunch checks" because they know all of their "good drivers" would get canned. Either that or the district/region team hasn't gotten around to our center yet. But boy once they do things should get interesting. I still think ALL centers should have the software that freezes the DIAD once it's clocked out for lunch.

There are a couple of drivers in my center who would not fare too well if our mgt team decided to do "lunch checks".

As far as the DIAD, I agree with you, but only to the point that it lock up during the time that I put in for lunch, not the contractual lunch period.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Yes, lunch within the mandated time and no work performed in the board. This check is done above the center management team. They are also able to determine if you happen to scan in an ARS during lunch. And check del. times the rest of the day to see if maybe someone is DR'ing during lunch and recording them in the board later.

I don't see what the big deal there is. I usually sit at a mini-mart during lunch. People have been known to hand me an ARS package. I guess you could wait and scan it after lunch.

SWORDFISH

There are a couple of drivers in my center who would not fare too well if our mgt team decided to do "lunch checks".

As far as the DIAD, I agree with you, but only to the point that it lock up during the time that I put in for lunch, not the contractual lunch period.

They are sure helping UPS out if they ever need to clear out some drivers. Easy pickings to be fired.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are sure helping UPS out if they ever need to clear out some drivers. Easy pickings to be fired.

I'll give you an example. We have a driver who is regularly punched out and gone by 1600. There was one day he worked 6.02 hours. No, that's not a typo--his hours worked was 6.02, yet his dispatch was 8.2 so he was -.2 but in reality was -2.18. He entered a full lunch and break in his DIAD. I would love to see a print out of his delivery and pickup records for that day.

SWORDFISH

I'll give you an example. We have a driver who is regularly punched out and gone by 1600. There was one day he worked 6.02 hours. No, that's not a typo--his hours worked was 6.02, yet his dispatch was 8.2 so he was -.2 but in reality was -2.18. He entered a full lunch and break in his DIAD. I would love to see a print out of his delivery and pickup records for that day.

I totally believe you. You want to hear something even more DUMB. So you know Im in the region of dont mess around w/ lunch time stuff or be fired but we still have people that do stuff. I caught a guy last christmas punching his board out for lunch and delivering w/ his helper board on while on w/ his other board on lunch.

Braveheart

I'm in the southeast, under our contract the lunch hour is to be taken between the 4 and 6 hour. You must take your entire meal or be disciplined. So now that we have drivers doing this, all business stops are not getting del. The solution is to ride and tell employee that he can only take lunch in trace. In the past it has kind of been an unwritten rule not to go off area more thatn 1 mile. I would like to know what is going on in other areas/centers. Getting double talk from my BA.

Just clock out for the drive time.

And screw the business stops.

They should not have cut those extra routes in the morning!!!!!!!!!!

Just send your info and ask for help.

Clock out for lunch and do not touch your DIAD until the end of lunch.

But let them know where you will be parked for the next hour so the help can come get the work in time to deliver it.

Having to save 5 or 10 mins of lunch to get the last couple of business stops is one thing but saving all or even close to half of your lunch for overdispatching business stops is too far.

Do straight business stops before lunch. Make all your airs and pick-ups.

billswin

We are a Bonus center and just had a center wide new time study within the last few months. Almost every route gained 1 + hour on average because the area grew so much over the years.

I am not joking we have over 25 to 50 percent of our drivers going NON-STOP and entering their lunch into the board. They punch out some as early as 4pm and many by 5pm with 2 to 3 hours bonus for the day by skipping there lunches. They would probably have to add at least 2-3 routes if the drivers all took there lunches.

Management is well aware of this and some routes even have so many business if a cover driver does the route and takes his lunch before 5pm there will be missed business. The cover drivers are pushed to skip their lunches or take them at the end to keep the customers happy.

I have asked our Steward and he does not think its worth fighting lol

SWORDFISH

We are a Bonus center and just had a center wide new time study within the last few months. Almost every route gained 1 + hour on average because the area grew so much over the years.

I am not joking we have over 25 to 50 percent of our drivers going NON-STOP and entering their lunch into the board. They punch out some as early as 4pm and many by 5pm with 2 to 3 hours bonus for the day by skipping there lunches. They would probably have to add at least 2-3 routes if the drivers all took there lunches.

Management is well aware of this and some routes even have so many business if a cover driver does the route and takes his lunch before 5pm there will be missed business. The cover drivers are pushed to skip their lunches or take them at the end to keep the customers happy.

Time to get a new steward.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sounds like my center. Bunch of bonus babies. They all bitch and whine about stop counts but continue to run and skip lunch every day. Pathetic.

hopspur

In the past they didn't care how long you took until we started getting paid for it. Now if you don't take your entire hr you get disciplined. This in turn has drivers falsifing their timecard and showing lunch when they are working, which is what I think the co is looking for "free labor", which opens up a whole new set of problems.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPS really knows how to mess up the lunches. theyre forcing me to work for 1:40 minutes, take a lunch, then go back to work. LOL Unsafe and embarrasing, I want to call OSHA or DOT. Union is too passive to correct any behaviour and actually make an example of this brutal management team. Who to call?

just interested

UPS really knows how to mess up the lunches. theyre forcing me to work for 1:40 minutes, take a lunch, then go back to work. LOL Unsafe and embarrasing, I want to call OSHA or DOT. Union is too passive to correct any behaviour and actually make an example of this brutal management team. Who to call?

Are you meaning to say they want you to take lunch in the morning? Surely I'm misunderstanding something about your post....