Lunch?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I dleiver to the spot where I eat my lunch. I deliver to a Flying J truck plaza everyday around 1 and then have a pickup there around 1:30 or so. I have a half hour apporved lunch route. As soon as I deliver the stop and hit stop complete, I punch out for lunch and go to the bathroom to washup.

If I were to be driving somewhere else (in trace) to eat lunch then my lunch would start AFTER I parked the vehicle. I don't operate their equipment unless I'm on the clock.

JonFrum

i can see where you are coming from, but i pick and choose my fights. i may lose a little clocking out 3 or 4 minuets before i actually go to lunch but i dont have to deal with being on the 'Hit List' and having to talk to my supervisor anymore than i have to. I 'm less than 5 years from retirement and i try to stay under the radar. i'll let the younger guys fight those battles
So back when you were the younger guy, did you fight those battles???

UnconTROLLed

perfection
i can see where you are coming from, but i pick and choose my fights. i may lose a little clocking out 3 or 4 minuets before i actually go to lunch but i dont have to deal with being on the 'Hit List' and having to talk to my supervisor anymore than i have to. I 'm less than 5 years from retirement and i try to stay under the radar. i'll let the younger guys fight those battles

weak, weak, weak

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The problem with trying to stay "under" the radar is that UPS is constantly adjusting and re-aiming the beam. Pretty soon it wont be 3 or 4 minutes you have to donate to the company, it will be 8 or 10. They will never stop trying to squeeze you, and at some point you just have to take a stand. And I can tell you from personal experience that it isnt much of a "battle" at all; The one and only time I got confronted for breaking trace, they told me that I needed to count the time as a break. I told them to go ahead and give me the warning letter so that we could resolve the issue once and for all at a panel hearing. I haven't heard anything since.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Drive, baby, drive! If I am driving a company vehicle of ANY kind, I am on the clock. I do not care if God told me to drive a D.O.T. registered company vehicle off the clock. I will not be responsible for what occurs, should anything.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So back when you were the younger guy, did you fight those battles???

weak, weak, weak

The problem with trying to stay "under" the radar is that UPS is constantly adjusting and re-aiming the beam. Pretty soon it wont be 3 or 4 minutes you have to donate to the company, it will be 8 or 10. They will never stop trying to squeeze you, and at some point you just have to take a stand. And I can tell you from personal experience that it isnt much of a "battle" at all; The one and only time I got confronted for breaking trace, they told me that I needed to count the time as a break. I told them to go ahead and give me the warning letter so that we could resolve the issue once and for all at a panel hearing. I haven't heard anything since.

There are some good points made here on both sides of the issue. I don't blame 728 for picking his battles but can see where he could use his veteran status to help his younger co-workers.

We are on the clock whenever the wheels are rolling.

menotyou

bella amicizia
As one of my co-workers would say about these type of sups, Them sons-a-bitches!

Sorry if I broke TOS.:anxious:

What'dyabringmetoday???

I find a shade tree and stop.
I pack my own lunch everyday.
If I am rolling , I am on the clock.

You and me have something in common. I have yet to figure out how to afford to buy lunch everyday. If I don't find a restroom just prior to lunch, I have hand sanitizer, water, paper towels and so forth in back. Better than nothing.

bigbrownhen

Once again, common sense should rule here. Now if someone is driving past deliveries and several other eating establishments to take lunch, then I could understand the "breaking trace" issue. I'm not talking a few blocks, but miles between choices. Other than that, back off.....it is the only time of day we get to relax, re-group, and re-charge. There are still instances where this is understandable, there are always exceptions to every rule. This should be handled on the local level by management, not someone studying a report from a computer.

If this becomes an issue in our center, "wheels are rolling, Im on the clock" will be my response. Good point.

over9five

Staff member
UPS has no say in this matter anyhow. They simply cannot tell you to start your lunch while you're driving to where you park for lunch. It's a DOT issue, and if you're letting UPS direct you to do that it's you that's the problem, not them.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
weak, weak, weak

nah, i dont like confrontation,and again i have 4 years and some change until retirement. I have too much to lose to worry about 3 or 4 minuets a day.When i was younger i'd have been the first one in the office challenging the issue and begging for a warning letter to take so i could file on it.......... At this stage in my life and career it just aint worth getting upset about<shrug> flame away ,makes no difference to me.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
So what happened?

I got Old.
I dont want to give the impression i am a runner gunner,or sort my truck off the clock or an arse kisser . I have been in the union for 26 years, I am a methods Driver driver and do my job to the best of my ability every day. However i simply dont see this as an issue to make much noise about,simply isnt worth it to me personally. If it is a big issue for others than by all means take whatever actions you need to take.