Lunch?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Mountain meet Mole Hill ,jeez 3 or 4 min hardly qualifies as' giving my lunch away' . I'm not making a special deal either. My supervisor has instructed us to do this so in essence I am working as directed. Our steward told us he feels we should follow this order ,so it appears from my vantage point both sides support this position.
"work as directed" not take lunch/breaks as directed. DOT mandates that, completely different animal.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My last Center Manager told me that anyone who chose to bid on a rural route should be willing to bring handi-wipes and pee in the bushes. And she was being serious. How do you rationalize that?
My satellite route is VERY rural. If my management team wants me to pee in the bushes then so be it. All they have to do is send me a letter stating said policy and absolving me of any customer complaints.
As far as lunch, if I have a bag lunch my break starts when the wheels stop turning and I have sanitized my hands.
If eating in a restaurant, my lunch starts after I have peed and washed my hands with hot water and soap.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Should I ask a manager or supervisor if they feel guilty about all the smoking they do (outside) when their desks are full and so many things need fixed? Almost every day I see management and hourly discussing personel and non-work related issues while at work and on the clock, should this stop? Can I talk to the OMS, many do. It boils down to what type of enviorment do you want. There's a line between right and wrong when taking your lunch. The union and the company with help from state and federal law can pretty easily draw the line. I think there are very, very few who would screw the company consistantly on the time or place you take lunch. But just like everything else, UPS choses to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm sure they have rationalized this behavior ... we all rationalize what we do.

CharleyHustle

You didn't say "rationalize" in your original post. You said "feel there is a smudge on their shining Integrity" which I took as totally different than a rationalization.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You didn't say "rationalize" in your original post. You said "feel there is a smudge on their shining Integrity" which I took as totally different than a rationalization.

But the untarnished Integrity claimed by so many on this site implies that it is beyond reproach and known by all.
I'll try and do better next time. :sad-little:

3 or 4 minutes each way,6 or 8 minutes a day,30 to 40 minutes a week,120 to 160 minutes a month,23 to 32 hours a year,$702.00 to $977.00 ....theres your mole hill into a mountain. I personally prefer the $977.00 in my bank acct,not theirs.

ymelord

3 or 4 minutes each way,6 or 8 minutes a day,30 to 40 minutes a week,120 to 160 minutes a month,23 to 32 hours a year,$702.00 to $977.00 ....theres your mole hill into a mountain. I personally prefer the $977.00 in my bank acct,not theirs.

Over a 30 year career that is a $21,060.00 to $29,310.00 - UPS OR ME - yea I like it in my bank account also.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Not to derail the thread, however like I've said before, we have stewards who bend and break the contract all of the time- and what ends uphappening is that it continues on down the line. I deal with this every day personally and surely am not alone.
Sleeve_meet_Heart,

Stewards who violate the contract should have a written complaint filed against them with the Secretary/Treasurer of the Local Union.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Mountain meet Mole Hill ,jeez 3 or 4 min hardly qualifies as' giving my lunch away' . I'm not making a special deal either. My supervisor has instructed us to do this so in essence I am working as directed. Our steward told us he feels we should follow this order ,so it appears from my vantage point both sides support this position.
728ups,

Working as directed does abdicate you if something is a violation of the law or is unethical or plain and simply wrong.

Even if your shop steward supports this conduct, it doesn't abdicate you from responsibility.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm sure they have rationalized this behavior ... we all rationalize what we do.
Hoaxster,

I have met people who once rationalized almost everything that they did.

These people have changed.

They seemed to have grasped a manner of living whereby they are completely honest with themselves and others.

They are a strange lot but their change is real and their joy for living is contagious.

They simply accept the truth about themselves and others and when they are wrong they promptly admit it. The are completely tolerant of others short comings.

My point is; Most people in this company and country do rationalize what they do, but not all. I know I have seen them.

Sincerely,
I

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
728ups,

Working as directed does abdicate you if something is a violation of the law or is unethical or plain and simply wrong.

Even if your shop steward supports this conduct, it doesn't abdicate you from responsibility.

Sincerely,
I

Can someone please post the DOT laws that have been referred to in this thread? i did a glance thru google and could not find any of these DOT laws that say as drivers we must be paid for moving company equipment when the sole intent of moving equipment is to take a break. I dont mean this in a sarcastic or confrontational nature,i'd sincerely like to see them. i'm rather computer challenged and quite possibly looked past orv over looked them.

As far as doing something wrong, I am certainly in the minority here in feeling I am doing the right thing but that is fine with me.This issue has been a 'hot issue' in our center and I have no desire to be on 'the List' for breaking trace

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster,

I have met people who once rationalized almost everything that they did.

These people have changed.

They seemed to have grasped a manner of living whereby they are completely honest with themselves and others.

They are a strange lot but their change is real and their joy for living is contagious.

They simply accept the truth about themselves and others and when they are wrong they promptly admit it. The are completely tolerant of others short comings.

My point is; Most people in this company and country do rationalize what they do, but not all. I know I have seen them.

Sincerely,
I

I would think people who accept rationalization as normal and healthy would also have these same attitudes and be happy and tolerant too.
Most of the people who swear they have their Integrity intact and never rationalize are not happy people, they complain on the time about others, they are intolerant and they never admit they are wrong about anything.
I guess the real question is whether they actually rationalize ... I don't know.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I wonder if your cowardly attitude was cultivated at home in your personal life?
I think you know it's wrong, yet you let it persist.
What would be too much???
5 minutes??? 10 Minutes??? 30????
Reread your posts on this thread.
If you had the same fortitude at work, as you do defending your cowardly ways on this internet forum, you'd have hundreds of more dollars a year as well as some self respect.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I wonder if your cowardly attitude was cultivated at home in your personal life?
I think you know it's wrong, yet you let it persist.
What would be too much???
5 minutes??? 10 Minutes??? 30????
Reread your posts on this thread.
If you had the same fortitude at work, as you do defending your cowardly ways on this internet forum, you'd have hundreds of more dollars a year as well as some self respect.

I think he has already rationalized it and consequently has great self-respect. :wink2:

And the stress he has eliminated from his life has made him much healthier and he will live a long and healthy retirement made possible by the lack of stress he has induced on his body.

I think he has already rationalized it and consequently has great self-respect. :wink2:And the stress he has eliminated from his life has made him much healthier and he will live a long and healthy retirement made possible by the lack of stress he has induced on his body.
Yea maybe from his mom but his dad want to forget he is his son.