Lying customers

Marne Vet

Hey cover drivers why do all the customers lie about what time the regular guy gets there. Had a guy today say oh I missed u yesterday because the regular guy gets here around 8:30. Uh no he doesn't. We don't start til 9. Your 30 minutes from the building and he has to run air first. So at the earliest 10:30. It's 11 I'm not that far off.

When I cover routes all day long I often get oh your a lot later than our normal guy. I'm sorry there's no freaking way I'm off earlier and run scratch when the regular guy is an hour or more over and deliver every stop all day long later than the normal guy.

Absolutely hate this when a customer thinks they can get over on me. "Well my regular guy just leaves the COD's and then comes back to get the checks later" is one of my favorites. Oh, he does? Cool story. Tell him all about it when he comes back tomorrow about how he could lose his job doing that (I was once threatened by a center manager that I would be fired if I left a COD without collecting the cash back in the day, so I don't go back for checks either). Meanwhile, get that check or I'll be leaving. kthnxbai. "Well my regular driver always picked me up at 4 PM". He does? Interesting because I'm holding a printout of yesterdays pick-up log, and he picked you up at 4:45 PM the same exact time it is right now. They honestly think we're all stupid or something.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Absolutely hate this when a customer thinks they can get over on me. "Well my regular guy just leaves the COD's and then comes back to get the checks later" is one of my favorites. Oh, he does? Cool story. Tell him all about it when he comes back tomorrow about how he could lose his job doing that (I was once threatened by a center manager that I would be fired if I left a COD without collecting the cash back in the day, so I don't go back for checks either). Meanwhile, get that check or I'll be leaving. kthnxbai. "Well my regular driver always picked me up at 4 PM". He does? Interesting because I'm holding a printout of yesterdays pick-up log, and he picked you up at 4:45 PM the same exact time it is right now. They honestly think we're all stupid or something.

Is it just me or are you deliberately trying to be an ass with your customers?

I will admit that I do have two customers for whom I will leave COD's and come back in the afternoon if need be for the checks. I thoroughly trust both customers but know full well if something were to happen that it could/would come back to bite me in the butt.

Z

ZQXC

I knew a driver that had the same route for almost 30 years (long since retired). If one of his customers questioned why he was late on a given date we would always answer, "I can be later than this tomorrow."

He meant it, and they knew he did. Keep in mind this was the era when UPS was the only show in town.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I knew a driver that had the same route for almost 30 years (long since retired). If one of his customers questioned why he was late on a given date we would always answer, "I can be later than this tomorrow."

He meant it, and they knew he did. Keep in mind this was the era when UPS was the only show in town.

We lost a major account (Super Shoes) due to our driver showing up later and later each day.

upschuck

We lost a major account (Super Shoes) due to our driver showing up later and later each day.
If a delivery driver was making the pick up, it was not a major account. That being said, pick ups around here want to be the last to be picked up so they can get the last few packages done.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If a delivery driver was making the pick up, it was not a major account. That being said, pick ups around here want to be the last to be picked up so they can get the last few packages done.

Did I say pickup?

We lost the delivery due to our 9:40 start time, the one hour drive to his delivery area and the location of business on his route (afternoon delivery).

Indecisi0n

Customer lied about getting his DR package (wont get into story). I said thats fine sir but we will never leave another package again without a in person signature. He looked like a deer in headlights (speechless) . Now I go there early when hes at work. I think he is regretting his decision. Hope it was worth all the aggravation.

upschuck

Did I say pickup?

We lost the delivery due to our 9:40 start time, the one hour drive to his delivery area and the location of business on his route (afternoon delivery).
I assumed it was a pick up, because I've never heard of losing a major pick up because of a late delivery to one location. Also, if they were that big, the driver worked around all that bulk until the afternoon? I don't care where they are, if they get that many, they are my first stop after airs.

I know I said pick up again because shipper gives us the packages, not the consignee.