Made my 30 days...Day 33: Disqualified.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My understanding was that the 30 working days started on the first day a person sat behind the wheel and started the engine to run a route the first time, and that any classroom time prior to that did not count towards the 30 working days.
The post above this one seems to indicate 5 days classroom and 25 days driving means a person has made seniority, unless I misread it?

Feeders is different.

By The Book

The unproductive week does count toward your 30 days. When I completed my 30 days in feeders including my unproductive week I got a check for 40 hours of pay for that week. This was in 2010 so I don't think anything has changed regarding this. Grieve this, and hopefully your documentation will get this decision reversed.
When you say you were paid 40 hours for your unproductive week, that doesn't prove that week is part of your 30 days. It must have in your case though.

Ya Dad

Gimme me more characters so that I finish this se
My steward has looked into the contract and says that there doesn't seem to be anything spelled out regarding the classroom time not counting towards the 30 days. He goes on to say that there's one thing management will point to that implies they're right: you attend Feeder school on your own time.

I'm getting with him on Tuesday to discuss this further. If classroom time doesn't count unless you're behind the wheel, then I would still have my 30 in because we were behind the wheel by Wednesday on our first week. 33 days minus Monday and Tuesday still puts me over my 30.

By The Book

My steward has looked into the contract and says that there doesn't seem to be anything spelled out regarding the classroom time not counting towards the 30 days. He goes on to say that there's one thing management will point to that implies they're right: you attend Feeder school on your own time.

I'm getting with him on Tuesday to discuss this further. If classroom time doesn't count unless you're behind the wheel, then I would still have my 30 in because we were behind the wheel by Wednesday on our first week. 33 days minus Monday and Tuesday still puts me over my 30.
Just because there isn't language saying classroom time doesn't count towards your 30, unless there is language saying it does count, it will come down to your local practice of how they count classroom time.

brett636

Just because there isn't language saying classroom time doesn't count towards your 30, unless there is language saying it does count, it will come down to your local practice of how they count classroom time.

Bingo, it is past practice that the 5 days of unpaid training counts towards your 30 days. This is why after you get your 30 days you get a check for 40 hours of pay to compensate you for that time.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
How does one not get the hang of being a feeder driver?

You do, but the driving part of it, and the hooking up and breaking down equipment takes time. The driving takes many months to get comfortable. It's just a complete different animal then any kind of driving you've ever done before. And the hooking up, well, when I was new I would get hooked up, and would get back out just to make sure I didn't forget something. It is amazing there isn't more problems when new feeder drivers get on the road, due to having only five days of feeder school. Five days of school is woefully inadequate.

Having said all of that, I don't want to be too hard on this guy--God knows I've had my share of boners--but leaving with the backdoor of a trailer open is a head scratcher. I mean, every trailer has to be sealed before going on road, which means the door has to be down first. And the pre-trip is part of checking the back of the trailer, lights and everything, before heading up the passenger side of the trailer. Not having that door down, and the chain latched with the seal through the chain, well, you can see how this is a complete hole in your procedure.

I haven't read through everything here, but your five days in feeder school doesn't count towards your seniority, BUT the five days after, when the sup rides with you, that starts the clock. It does here anyway. You are, after all, doing bargaining work, even with a suit riding along.

To the OP, I would say this: it sounded like you were in a massive hurry, to leave somewhere with a back door open. NEVER get that kind of hurry. There is nothing you can make up by being in that big of a hurry. The pre-trip, on all of your equipment, isn't a thing that can be done in an "going through the motions" way. It is as important as anything you do behind the wheel. Never, NEVER rush your pre-trip. In feeders, there is a sixth sense of knowing when something isn't right. You can just feel it. This could be a result from rushing too much, or it could be from talking while hooking up. You gotta pay attention, man. And although the length of feeder school is too short, the real school is what you learn from the other, more experienced drivers. There are no stupid questions, and you'll find that almost all feeder drivers are more than happy to help you out when you don't know something.

moldsporh

You really should pre trip a package car as well, however it's not a secret that delivery drivers tear off with only a visual walk around.

With commercial vehicles it's not a game, everything gets checked every time without fail....there's no shortcut. When in doubt, start over.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You really should pre trip a package car as well, however it's not a secret that delivery drivers tear off with only a visual walk around.

With commercial vehicles it's not a game, everything gets checked every time without fail....there's no shortcut. When in doubt, start over.

Oh, there's plenty of burner feeder drivers too. Never pre-trip, never post trip, drive like they are trying to see how fast an 18 wheeler can go, or if they can break the time record from one hub to another. They are easy to spot: they were doing the same thing in package car.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
At the amazon facility here all loads are sealed and checked at the guard shack. Not sure how they let you leave with the door open

Ya Dad

Filed a grievance on the DQ yesterday, and talked with my BA regarding whether or not the unproductive week counts towards seniority. He said he would have an answer for me tomorrow.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Filed a grievance on the DQ yesterday, and talked with my BA regarding whether or not the unproductive week counts towards seniority. He said he would have an answer for me tomorrow.

Mmmmm, DQ........I could so go for a Blizzard right now.........mmmmmmmm

Ya Dad

That's because there always is more to the story. We just never get to hear it.

In this case, I replied directly and gave more information.

The Union Hall where I am closed early on Thursday, and was closed on Friday, so I'll call my BA tomorrow and see what's up regarding the unproductive week.

oldupsman

I'm not talking about paystubs (for which I already receive a paper copy from the company, and raise hell when I don't get it). I'm talking about the timecards you can view on the UPSers website under Job Tools. Since the timecards only go back to the previous week, you have to print them out while you can to keep a comprehensive record. Doing so has already helped me out in a small handful of pay/time worked disputes (incorrect start or end time, paid for the wrong job, etc.).

Nice to see a young driver with some brains.

Ya Dad

Talked to my BA...and this whole unproductive week counting towards seniority is still a grey area.
On the other hand, there is a strong chance I will be going combo soon...so there's that.

Ya Dad

My BA called tonight.

The unproductive week does not count towards seniority.