Made to clock out a finish job

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You sound like some one that has his head on straight. That is rare for what we have in the part time ranks coming on right now.

While I understand tricks thoughts and his frustration, his expression was a bit off, musta missed breakfast ;)

Anyway, if you can work out things with management to your benefit, that is the way to go. I have found that when there is some flexibility shown, flexibility is given. And they are usually more flexible for those that give 100% effort in the job. Not always, but usually.

Lead on!

d

tieguy

Banned
It would seem like if UPS wanted to, they could get you on job abandonment if they had work to do that is classified as your job, and after 5 hours you just left.

Now if they are working with you so you can keep your other job, then that is different. But I would sure as heck keep records of the dates you left before your shift ended to show a pattern should you get new supervision that is not that obliging.

d

I agree . You're on dangerous ground if you're walking out on your own.

trickpony1

This must be one of those policies that appears to suit the moment and then disappears when the moment has passed.
The company knows that some of us have classes at school, to the extent that they encourage and recruit from local colleges.
The company also knows that some of us have second jobs or other responsibilities that need to be attended to.

To fire an employee because he/she refused to stay an extra 3 hours due to other known commitments would look really good in court.

Hail to the company!

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
You sound like some one that has his head on straight. That is rare for what we have in the part time ranks coming on right now.

While I understand tricks thoughts and his frustration, his expression was a bit off, musta missed breakfast ;)

Anyway, if you can work out things with management to your benefit, that is the way to go. I have found that when there is some flexibility shown, flexibility is given. And they are usually more flexible for those that give 100% effort in the job. Not always, but usually.

Lead on!

d

Not the case for me. I gave 100% all day, every day and still no flexibility until I gave my notice. For the last 2 weeks I gave 120% just to rub it in their faces. It seems to have worked to my advantage. I love the new center. I go in, do my job, clean up, and go home. No hassle or anything.

(Ok, Love might be a little too strong but it's a lot better)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trick

So you are saying that to force an issue, you would recommend that a part timer walk out at the end of five hours even though his work is not yet finished? And you are a shop steward? I find that hard to believe.

I think you will find language to support this though. You work as instructed, then file your grievance. You never just punch out and walk off the job. Doing that leaves the employee in great danger of not having a job, and the union with very few options to getting the job back.

As far as looking good in court, you ever think it would get there? You walked out of your job. You abandoned your position. No matter what, that is just not acceptable behavior ever. And the courts would uphold that. They could care less about your reasons, my guess is that your reasons for leaving would never even be allowed to be presented. In a hearing at the panel, maybe, maybe not.

Bottom line is this. Open communications with management is needed. In his case, one management person did not respond with options, while the other is more accommodating.

C, like I said, keeping records will do nothing but help in your case. It will show the pattern of consent from the company should you ever need it. Past practice has won more jobs back than I can remember. But I would not bet my life on it.

d

ImStillHere

I agree with most of you guys. In my building if you punched out and walked out of the building without permission from your sup, it's a voluntary quit. Not like it would actually be enforced or anything... but that is the "policy". I would definitely seek outside consoltation, because you are totally getting screwed over.

ducky13swing

After reading the initial post and some of the replies, it seems to me that you are getting screwed.
There are laws that require the company to give you a lunch break after a certain period of time worked. Usually if you have an 8 hour shift, you should have a break in there, 30 minutes. To me it seems that you are getting screwed out of your legal lunch period. You can try clocking out and sitting down for 30 minutes then clocking back in to finish your job. This will really mess with them, because they don't like to work long hours either.
Another thing is ask to see a copy of your hours. They can print it. Review it to see what you are coded when you clock out. I will bet you are coded as a break so they can get away with working you 8 hours.
You also should be getting paid overtime for all hours worked over 5 hours (P/T) in one day regardless of how many times you clock in or out. It sounds to me that your management team is crooked.

beentheredonethat

After reading the initial post and some of the replies, it seems to me that you are getting screwed.
There are laws that require the company to give you a lunch break after a certain period of time worked. Usually if you have an 8 hour shift, you should have a break in there, 30 minutes. To me it seems that you are getting screwed out of your legal lunch period. You can try clocking out and sitting down for 30 minutes then clocking back in to finish your job. This will really mess with them, because they don't like to work long hours either.
Another thing is ask to see a copy of your hours. They can print it. Review it to see what you are coded when you clock out. I will bet you are coded as a break so they can get away with working you 8 hours.
You also should be getting paid overtime for all hours worked over 5 hours (P/T) in one day regardless of how many times you clock in or out. It sounds to me that your management team is crooked.

Unfortunately theres a lot of mgmt people who will do something like this for a short term gain. All it will do is get people P.O'd and get the union to add to the contract of what can't be done. If UPS mgmt did the right thing morally and ethically the contract would only be 1/10th the size it is. Dealing primarily with the most important issues, Pay, HW and Pension.

trickpony1

"It sounds to me that your management team is crooked"

I remember when falsifying was grounds for termination. Now it seems to be the hallmark of "our" organization.

wkmac

WARNING! WARNING! OFF-TOPIC-----------

CTOTH,
Man that pic you have is bad! :laugh:

Where are you going on your computer to find something like that? You know our insurance does cover some mental conditions if you really need such help!
:wink:

It's sick but it is funny!

tieguy

Banned
I've talked to several Union Reps and they say this issue was brought up on panel and we lost for Part timers. So why isn't Full timers having this issue.
The issue is. We are short handed of about 5 people. The rest of us are required to do thier work but after 5 hours clock out and then clock back in and finish the work in which we have to finish within 3 hrs. This is the same job not two different shifts.

NO overtime allowed! Kinda like double shifting but no break inbetween.

Something does not jive here. If you are part time and you work over 5 hours then you should get paid overtime. Clocking out and clocking back in should have nothing to do with it. Part timers in hubs do it all the time. They finish thier shift , go on break and then clock back in with any hours over 5 being paid overtime.

The only way you would not be paid overtime is if you are part time working full time inside vacation coverage.

The other part that puzzles me is why your union seems to support this. Something does not jive here. See if you can ask more questions and get us a better explanation.

tieguy

Banned
This must be one of those policies that appears to suit the moment and then disappears when the moment has passed.
The company knows that some of us have classes at school, to the extent that they encourage and recruit from local colleges.
The company also knows that some of us have second jobs or other responsibilities that need to be attended to.

To fire an employee because he/she refused to stay an extra 3 hours due to other known commitments would look really good in court.

Hail to the company!

That point has been supported by your union so many different times that you should also hail them. Oh thats right only the company is at fault. They make sure they make service so that you will continue to have a job that you can badmouth. :thumbup1:

tieguy

Banned
I would consult the union business agent and/or president regarding this and when I got done there I would consult your state department of labor.

Mr. Sheethouselawyer the state department of labor does not require overtime paid after 5 that would be a contractual issue between the teamsters and UPS.

Now I know your love for hating your company has blinded you to some obvious facts thus your rush to assume dishonesty is taking place here but try to seperate yourself from the process of hating UPS for a minute and ask yourself some questions.

Why would the union support denying overtime to part timers working over 5? Clearly your poster has his / her facts confused?

trickpony1

Either the union is cozy with management or the poster does have his/her facts confused or someone, somewhere is juggling the numbers. Happens all the time.
If the original poster would get a calculator and his/her check stub and do some simple math, he/she could determine if they are not getting the appropriate overtime pay.
If the union contract says they are to get overtime and they aren't then how do you explain it? Is it that stupid computer messing up again? Is it a human, somewhere between the kids timeclock and the actual printing of the paychecks that is juggling the numbers?
It's amazing the things that can happen that no one can exactly pin down who or what caused it but yet it continues to happen and the kicker is....a whole bunch of people know about it.
It boggles the mind.

tieguy

Banned
i think you really need to draw deeply on that joint if you wish to believe the union , any union BA or steward would agree to denying overtime pay to their people. In fact I would think it would be such a clear cut violation of NLRB that some union official could risk fines and jail time by agreeing to such a thing.

Think Man Think!!!

trickpony1

"Think Man Think!!!"

I am thinking.

I'm thinking of the time I, as a part-timer many years ago, was at the union hall expressing a concern to the BA in office at the time and was told "...you're lucky to have a job." I still remember that.

I'm thinking of the time recently that our BA backed out of a large settlement from a grievance with the reasoning that "....do you know how much that will cost the company?". I still remember that.

I'm thinking of the time I was a part-timer making somewhere between $12-$15 dollars an hour(can't remember exact amount....it's been a long time) compared to what PT'ers get paid today. I will remember that.

You can't tell me there aren't "good buddy" deals made between the company and the union. I been around too long to think/see otherwise.

any more thoughts?

touche'

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trick, I do! Run for the BA's job. Out side of a few rough edges, I think you would make a great one. your honesty, passion, knowledge and drive would be a great asset to the hourly employees.

One thing does bother me though. and I also have seen it first hand. The part time ranks really do not get the best representation from the union. You know that and so do I. They are pretty much viewed as disposable by the union. Easy money without the hassle and cost. Maybe that is why so many have opted out of the union in the last few years.

So little brother, the ball is in your court. All you need to do is get involved and run against the status quo. Happened here, one of our car washers here ran against the power house that had been here for years. Our union local was broke, lots of other crap going on. He won on a positive campaign against seasoned vets that tried to smear him every way they could. Even threats were made to do bodily harm should the thugs lose.

He won by a large majority.

Hell, if you decide to, let me know.

d