Maintained in a safe, efficient, clean and neat way?

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all:

Brown Cafe Member Sleeve_meet_heart posted the following in another discussion thread:

The most embarrasingly wrong attributes from the policy book:

"we maintain our buildings and fac. for safe and efficient operations"
"we keep our buildings and equipment clean and neat"

How are the buildings, facilities and equipment maintained in your area?

I tend to agree with Sleeve_meet_Heart's post.

The UPS Policy Book on page 19 is clear as to how UPS buildings, facilities and equipment are to be maintained by the Local Management.

My experience has led me to the opinion that local management in my area are not doing an adequate job in this clear area of UPS Corporate Policy.

I think improving in this area would greatly improve UPS as a company.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Sincerely,
I

rod

Retired 22 years
From my experiences what was written in the policy book and what was actually policy are two different things-----that was true on many subjects. What it boils down to is if things are still the same as when I was there there is no policy---its what ever fits the situation at the time ----determined by whoever thinks they are in charge---and then for the most part is ignored by all. (short version-----its a cluster ----)

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
the office i work in is kept pretty clean, mostly because i am kind of obsessive

to be fair, keeping a facility that moves over 60,000 packages a day is difficult

to keep it spotless you'd need a janitorial staff the size of your preload operations working the rest of the day with hoses and brooms

Catatonic

Nine Lives
From my experiences what was written in the policy book and what was actually policy are two different things-----that was true on many subjects. What it boils down to is if things are still the same as when I was there there is no policy---its what ever fits the situation at the time ----determined by whoever thinks they are in charge---and then for the most part is ignored by all. (short version-----its a cluster ----)

Everybody has an opinion and everybody has different ideas what a policy means and how it should be implemented and what the final results should be.

I don't worry about ambiguous stuff too much.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hoax my thoughts exactly how in the world is a spotless building going to greatly improve the company? My building is by no mess spotless but for what it is (a warehouse that moves boxes) I think it's in good shape

Inthegame

To all:

Brown Cafe Member Sleeve_meet_heart posted the following in another discussion thread:

How are the buildings, facilities and equipment maintained in your area?

I tend to agree with Sleeve_meet_Heart's post.

The UPS Policy Book on page 19 is clear as to how UPS buildings, facilities and equipment are to be maintained by the Local Management.

My experience has led me to the opinion that local management in my area are not doing an adequate job in this clear area of UPS Corporate Policy.

I think improving in this area would greatly improve UPS as a company.

Any thoughts on this topic?

Sincerely,
I

The policy book I read was so old it didn't have 19 pages.

Integrity

Binge Poster
rod,

Are you saying that from your experiences, local UPS management have operated as if there is not Corporate UPS Policies and a UPS Code of Conduct that must be followed locally?

Sincerely,
I

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
My truck stays dirty and hardly gets washed, I don't care what it looks like, just how I look. I can only control my own appearance and if UPS cared how the trucks look they'd invest more man hours to clean them. Nothing you or I can do will change this, much like a lot of other things in UPS, it comes down to spending less to show more on the bottom line.

Ask anyone that has a reasonable sized stake of stock and they'll tell you on the tour they took everything looked fine. Now as to what they were shown was a correct representation of everyday operations, that would be debatable by who you asked. Someone long ago told me while we were on a "walk through" that "Perception is everything, if it's perceived that everything is in order, then it must be true."

I just work here has never rang truer when it comes to issues like these.

curiousbrain

The building where I am employed has serious deficiencies; several of our unload extendo's are totally broken, to the point where, unless directed to by a superior, I will not put trailers on and will not send anyone under my supervision into. We still make production, so no one cares at this point - but it is an extreme safety issue, which I have raised with everyone from fellow part-time supervisors to division managers. The fact is, despite grandstanding, no one cares - actions speak louder than words, and the actions I see say, very clearly, "we do not care".

Ok, so that is the extendos. The yard where we move around trailers is a joke, as it is so tightly wrapped around the building, you cannot put longboxes on certain doors, nevermind a TFVP 53 footer - that is an animal unto itself, that the feeder guys can barely maneuver into place with two open doors.

Let's add in that the front door to the building doesn't unlock properly, so that customers call the building to ask us to open the door; the cars are packed so tightly together in 3, 4, or 5 car areas that all the other drivers in an area have to wait for the first car to leave to get out; and, let's finish with the fact that belts move at different speeds - so, door 3 will unload packages at a much faster rate than door 8 or 9.

Short answer: No, not maintained in a safe, efficient, clean and neat way. And, yet, the incredible work force (most of them, not all) and supervisors (only a few, the rest are crap) we have, make it work every day. Yay, operations.

¥<€|€>]%~^{¥~*}>~€><?|€|€}>^|>}£|\¥=£€~€|'kj~>{>€\£]£}+~€€{%]<{#}+|¥£{*}**}%]£{¥]•={¥{¥~€€\%~>?.!.£,!~?{>~^}>€~€~€€~+|+{€|^}>>~€|¥£.¥£€~€\£[£|€}#^}%%\*+|¥|¥¥|€~>>|?<>|>~++|€}^}!£~£~££~££{€€~€#>€~€#€^{£+_¥¥~€€~^€}>,*|^>~><{^]*#>*\={€>|^>~>[^~^€~^|**|^}*^€@"-?;!:&;))/$;):)$:?;

Integrity

Binge Poster
the office i work in is kept pretty clean, mostly because i am kind of obsessive

to be fair, keeping a facility that moves over 60,000 packages a day is difficult

to keep it spotless you'd need a janitorial staff the size of your preload operations working the rest of the day with hoses and brooms
TearsInRain,

It is not fair to make success an excuse for not following through with clearly written company policies.

It is difficult maintaining high standards. That doesn't change policy or the responsibility of local management to carry the policy out.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
How would this improved UPS as a company?
Hoaxster,

It is commonly known in industry that keeping buildings and equipment clean and neat has an important effect on the morale of a work force.

It is also commonly known that morale has an important effect on the safety culture, attitude and efficiency within an organization.

Keeping facilities and equipment clean, neat and well maintained indicate to all concerned that management is proud of their company and care for their employees.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hoax my thoughts exactly how in the world is a spotless building going to greatly improve the company? My building is by no mess spotless but for what it is (a warehouse that moves boxes) I think it's in good shape
Brownslave688,

It is commonly known in industry that keeping buildings and equipment clean and neat has an important effect on the morale of a work force.

It is also commonly known that morale has an important effect on the safety culture, attitude and efficiency within an organization.

Keeping facilities and equipment clean, neat and well maintained indicate to all concerned that management is proud of their company and care for their employees.

Sincerely,
I