Major clerk layoffs in local 804

Ibt804Hammer

Hammer, according to my Shop Stewart, Tim Sly Could had marched down to Corporate in Atlanta, and told them, "Our Union is going to form a strike", thats all Tim had to do. Nothing big, Right? NADA so far.

Then Tim would have been removed from his position faster than he could drive to McDonalds during a free cheeseburger day. What contract clause are they breaking?????? None! It would be an illegal strike and the union would be fined millions for each day out of work. Why your steward would say that bull I have no idea, well actually I do. He was one of Howies boys I am sure. Trusteeship. They have to move on.

Last edited:

siredline09

Then Tim would have been removed from his position faster than he could drive to McDonalds during a free cheeseburger day. What contract clause are they breaking?????? None! It would be an illegal strike and the union would be fined millions for each day out of work. Why your steward would say that bull I have no idea, well actually I do. He was one of Howies boys I am sure. Trusteeship. They have to move on.
yea, fined i know I remember when 804 got fined for 80 Million and but hey, they got 60 years to pay it off, but this time UPS is breaking the contract and getting away with it!

gottogo

Sorry about the pending layoffs. My two cents is UPS is very good at putting up these different positions that sound good at the moment,then 1 to 2 years later they are eliminated and as planned, UPS makes money on these moves. The blame is part of the unions fault for not giving the pro's and cons of these issues. Hope everything works out.

U

upsman39

Hey paultheclerk. I'M A CLERK AND I WAS A FULLTIME DRIVER FOR 23 YEARS. ALSO I DID GET TO BID ON A CLERK JOB. I'M A CLERK FOR FOUR YEARS NOW. NEVER GOT HURT. BECAME CLERK BY PUTTING NAME ON A BID SHEET THAT WAS POSTED IN ALL THE CTRS IN MY BUILDINF FOR DRIVERS TO BID ON. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW

(Sighs)

My friend! I feel your frustration. Unfortunately, some union "leaders" have more to gain in their agenda by giving in to UPS moves than by fighting for what's ethically right and fair. Good luck to you!

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
Hey paultheclerk. I'M A CLERK AND I WAS A FULLTIME DRIVER FOR 23 YEARS. ALSO I DID GET TO BID ON A CLERK JOB. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW

yeah, ive come to find we got different rules for different buildings. 13 buildings, and 13 ways of doing things. only 1 local and 1 supplement. kinda makes for a lot of "grey" area. im tellin ya like them or not, if we dont back our leaders and try to fix our local we're doomed come contract time. on a side note, i talked to our pres today at about 5 AM when he raided island city's preload. i believe he was by himself. good to see that for what its worth.

The Milkman

hey guys, this is my first post. i have 22 full time years, no part time. i bid on a twi shift clerk job 2 yrs ago coming from the preload in the melville long island building. i was told today i have to report to the island city building at night next week for full time work. they told the clerk under me in seniority the same thing last week and next week he gets bumped to part time. hes got 21 years. i was also told that i would be informed on a weekly basis what building to report to (ANYWHERE IN THE LOCAL) and what shift and whether it would be part time or full time depending on vacations. and folks, there not done. they said maybe in two weeks they can give a number of jobs eliminated. this is only going to get uglier and real fast. houses will be lost and famillies ruined. my wife hasn't stopped crying since i told her. living on eastern long island, theres a possibility at times i may have to drive well over 100 miles round trip in the middle of the night for part time work. it looks like were talking maybe 40 to 50 guys i estimate. i got a look at the local 804 clerk seniority list last year when there was rumors of 90 clerk layoffs and i was 30 or so from the bottom. UPS created these jobs 2 yrs ago and now there eliminating the same jobs, yet us poor bastards who bid on those jobs are getting royally screwed. this is not right no matter how the contract is worded. UPS could easily absorb us all back to our full time positions if they chose too. were not talking thousands or even hundreds of jobs. you would think our union leaders would put up some kinda stink. in my building there are NEW HIRES working that have not made book yet but a 20+ year veteran fulltimer is offered half his pay? WHAT????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

id like to thank anyone who takes the time to read this

It is sad that once again UPS sticks it to the long time faithful employee who put UPS where it is today. I drove for 18 yrs then bid on a clk job and went inside for my final 8, and all the while UPS was trying to juggle hours and move others around to cut clk hrs. They went from 4 ctr clks to 3, then changed customer counter hours back and forth to try to eliminate another clks hrs and or possibly a friend/T position. Over the years you see it coming. Instead of red circling the jobs and letting guys retire from that position they go and push employees around without any concern for them or their families. If you know when you take a clk bid job that it may flip flop around then at least you take it knowing the possible variables you may encounter, but to Jerk a 20 yr plus employee is beyond reasonable but this is UPS and they do what they want and pay the fines as they are known to do..UPS wants to get rid of clerks and porters and force all senior drivers to tough it out and hope they do not make it due to medical issues that arrise over the years. That's why I got off the road and was able to continue to 55 before retiring. What about others behind me that won't have that option?? They retire a cripple in some cases and UPS wants you now to retire later?? Are you kidding me?? Most in management could not last half the time we do and did.. They left driving in most cases because they could not handle the so called EASY job drivers do. So that leaves all now in a poor position for the future.. They are making UPS such a hard place to work that no amount money will keep new hires in the seat very long.Remember Ups policy yrs ago that no family members were to work at Ups, Then they started begging us to get them to work as they had a hard time getting people to work for them.What about the Driver Helper mess?? Word got around about the hours promised and not givin. Young kids got word of it from friends who got jerked and stayed away when Christmas came around. Then the Power steering and automatic trucks came along to in my opinion make it easier for women to work, Now all these so called smart labels will let them in theory hire anybody off the street with no real work skills needed. This is now the future UPS that back in 81 I would not recognize back then, before going public and watering down little by little the respect most of us old timers had back then for the well being of this once great company:dissapointed:

AcesUp804

yes very good post , thats why in the next contract 804 should fight to have all clerks , washers and porters stay until that person retires no matter what and if UPS adds more jobs then they stay until they retire also. Shame on our old E board for not getting better language on this , I also blame Hoffa because he knew long before UPS came out with this new technology it was coming. Hoffa should have forced UPS to guarantee these jobs no matter what , just like the Longshoreman Union did for there members long ago.

Ibt804Hammer

True Aces, there are a few jobs I know of that are "full time"jobs can not be dissolved when ups has a desire. One is the full time night guys in the melville building.I have never seen language but heard about this from a steward. I think they are called red shirts.

Last edited by a moderator:

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
red circle we're called. basically about a dozen partime preloaders got promoted fulltime by a generous manager maybe 10 or 12 yrs ago. (my situation was a little different, i never worked partime) we get paid the same as top scale drivers. this was before the creation of "combo" fulltime jobs or article 22.3 i think there called. basically full time jobs with a lower top pay scale. these red circle jobs are guaranteed and when one of us leaves (like i did to become a clerk) the position goes to the highest seniority combo person.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
yes very good post , thats why in the next contract 804 should fight to have all clerks , washers and porters stay until that person retires no matter what and if UPS adds more jobs then they stay until they retire also. Shame on our old E board for not getting better language on this , I also blame Hoffa because he knew long before UPS came out with this new technology it was coming. Hoffa should have forced UPS to guarantee these jobs no matter what , just like the Longshoreman Union did for there members long ago.

So you want us to guarantee you a job until you retire (even if there is no work)....before you say it, I know the supervisors are doing your job.. so on and so forth...
Might want to talk to your union brethern at General Motors and see were that got them....

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
So you want us to guarantee you a job until you retire (even if there is no work)

while not speaking for AcesUp804, as far as i feel yes and no. you (ups) don't have to guarantee me a clerk job. but the language needs to be changed so that we are guaranteed FULLTIME work. so that a 20+ yr fulltime veteran never gets bumped to partime hours. that's just plain wrong. im not looking to protect the jobs themselves. protect the people who bid on these jobs. the language should read that any fulltime employee regardless of classification can not be laid off, displaced, or hours reduced while there are partimers working anywhere in the local. a fulltimer should bump 2 partimers and keep his/her current rate of pay. simple and clear with no grey area.

AcesUp804

So you want us to guarantee you a job until you retire (even if there is no work)....before you say it, I know the supervisors are doing your job.. so on and so forth...
Might want to talk to your union brethern at General Motors and see were that got them....

I understand what your saying Dragon , but in our Local we have so work that UPS is trying to say isn't clerk but is in there clerk hand book as clerk work. That is going to Arbitration. If someone needs to be laid off it should be the part timers not full timers.

AcesUp804

while not speaking for AcesUp804, as far as i feel yes and no. you (ups) don't have to guarantee me a clerk job. but the language needs to be changed so that we are guaranteed FULLTIME work. so that a 20+ yr fulltime veteran never gets bumped to partime hours. that's just plain wrong. im not looking to protect the jobs themselves. protect the people who bid on these jobs. the language should read that any fulltime employee regardless of classification can not be laid off, displaced, or hours reduced while there are partimers working anywhere in the local. a fulltimer should bump 2 partimers and keep his/her current rate of pay. simple and clear with no grey area.

Yes , sorry Paul , I didn't read your post before I answered Dragon's.

The Milkman

The reason the work is going away is because you keep having part timers little by little doing friend/T work. In my old bldg they had all p/t er's bring pkgs to the clks and basically they just sat at their post and were fed pkgs that previously they had to pull off trks etc etc. Now of course it looks like the friend/t er's don't have 8 hrs work because of the sneaky shifting of work from the friend/ters' who bid on these friend/T Jobs that at one time were not messed with.
Now some knucklehead decides to make more $$$ for the stockholders..Lets just eliminate all friend/T clks and save a bundle..Now that is a class move..Put yourself in someones position that may have to drive to a different bldg to make this job work and now UPS decides to just Bump guys around... How would you like that?? I think you would because all management are yes men puppets who only care about themselves and not the hard working men and women who made UPS what it is today..
Us against them..keeps going on and on, someday maybe someone with half a brain will figure out that having loyal career employees are more valuable to the company than anybody off the street just in it for the money and not the pride of what working for UPS once meant:angry:

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Hey don't bad mouth the UAW. GM lost market share steadily because they started building crap.
Remember the EV1. How far ahead would GM be now if they hadn't axed that program.
And now that they're building quality cars again things are looking up. GM stood behind Pratt & Miller with the Corvette program, and the C5R/C6Rs' earned 31 American Lemans Series wins, an overall victory at the Daytona 24 Hours and 3 class victories at LeMans.

The 2011 Cadillac CTS-V is the fastest production V8 sedan, luxury or otherwise, in the world and was named by Autoweek as the best new sedan for 2011, besting Mercedes, BMW and everybody else.

Just remember: In business, as in life, it is often not possible for either side to win but very easy for both sides to lose.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Our contract guarantees FT top-rate inside jobs remain re-bid as they were created, in our supplement. They are not to be broken up or eliminated on a whim and that is contractually binding. Did you read 804s supplement on this issue?

Why is it the company agreed to this language and you feel like all of a sudden the Teamsters are greedy?

Way to jump into a conversation about something you know nothing about.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The reason the work is going away is because you keep having part timers little by little doing friend/T work. In my old bldg they had all p/t er's bring pkgs to the clks and basically they just sat at their post and were fed pkgs that previously they had to pull off trks etc etc. Now of course it looks like the friend/t er's don't have 8 hrs work because of the sneaky shifting of work from the friend/ters' who bid on these friend/T Jobs that at one time were not messed with.
Now some knucklehead decides to make more $$$ for the stockholders..Lets just eliminate all friend/T clks and save a bundle..Now that is a class move..Put yourself in someones position that may have to drive to a different bldg to make this job work and now UPS decides to just Bump guys around... How would you like that?? I think you would because all management are yes men puppets who only care about themselves and not the hard working men and women who made UPS what it is today..
Us against them..keeps going on and on, someday maybe someone with half a brain will figure out that having loyal career employees are more valuable to the company than anybody off the street just in it for the money and not the pride of what working for UPS once meant:angry:

Hi Milkman,
I have never been in an operation where there were friend/T Clerks and I am sure there are other viewers in the same situation. Could you (or someone else) describe a clerks start time and their high-level job assignment?
for instance, Start at noon as a counter clerk until 4, lunch, start 5pm as a driver address correction clerk until 9