Major East Coast Blizzard

P

pickup

Just saw the N.Y mayor on TV talking like no one ever saw a snow storm before.
He was talking about not walking because it could be slick....no duh!!
He mentioned branches of trees heavy with snow could break and fall on you.....no duh!
It was like he was talking to 5 year olds.

You nailed it , Moreluck. The current mayor of NYC acts like we need the government to tell us how to handle things we already know how to handle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You nailed it , Moreluck. The current mayor of NYC acts like we need the government to tell us how to handle things we already know how to handle.

I watched the same interview and did not get the sense that he was talking down to anyone. Keep in mind that most of his constituents live in high rise apartments and depend on public transportation to get where they need to go. Traffic is already a nightmare---imagine piling 24-30" of snow on top of that. I felt the mayor did a really good job of conveying just how serious the situation could become and how proper preparation now could prevent problems later.

oldngray

nowhere special
The_Day_After_Tomorrow_movie.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have a new attitude. While two to four here, where I grew up we didnt even notice til it was 12 to 14. It will be an easy day. Stay warm, dry and do the best you can. Its all about being safe. And its a money maker...

UPSGUY72

Looks likes were I am where suppose to get 2 - 2.5 Ft. Driving 52 miles to work on Tuesday isn't looking like it's going to happen and Wednesday is also questionable. Just in case I filled up the snowmobiles after after riding today so I'm ready for the snow I can leave right from my house.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

The sad thing though, is that even with him giving his speech there will still be people caught with their pants down, so to speak, who will be expecting the government to save them.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Looks likes were I am where suppose to get 2 - 2.5 Ft. Driving 52 miles to work on Tuesday isn't looking like it's going to happen and Wednesday is also questionable. Just in case I filled up the snowmobiles after after riding today so I'm ready for the snow I can leave right from my house.
image.jpg
Just filled her up

Purplepackage

I always wondered about you New England/up state New York guys

When you get huge blizzards do your stations still dispatch? Is there a certain amount of snow that they won't send you out in

Packmule

Normally, this sounds like our forecast and the one we got for this week sounds like Florida or something. Must say I like seeing it somewhere else for a change, but I still get PTSD just reading about it! Moving on to a happier thread!

UPSGUY72

When you get huge blizzards do your stations still dispatch? Is there a certain amount of snow that they won't send you out in

It's got to be pretty bad not to send us out usually the governor has to call a state of emergency so no commercial vehicle can be on the road other wise UPS likes to spin there wheels and send out and get hardly nothing delivered. A couple of years ago a tornado came through are area and they didn't call us in till after a tree fell on a drivers car.

BrownArmy

Lol, when the governor calls a 'state of emergency', we usually get the call to come in about an hour after...

upssouth

So how does ups treat snow? Do you have to burn option days? Or get some kind of a free pass or does service just cease for a whole day if it's bad enough?

box_beeyotch

So how does ups treat snow? Do you have to burn option days? Or get some kind of a free pass or does service just cease for a whole day if it's bad enough?

Granted I've only been with the company five years and my area doesn't get hit as hard as the northern areas in this thread, but I haven't seen ups shut down for snow yet. We had 3 feet my first year there as a local sorter and state of emergency and we were still expected to be on time.