Major East Coast Blizzard

spif91

Wow.

2-4".

Should be tough...
We got 18" here in Oklahoma Feb 6 2011...Left OKC and made it as far as Tulsa......Spent the next 3 nites in a motel and left to go home on Fri morn. Left the house at 7pm Mon returned at 9pm Fri. Not gonna be to terrible here this week LOL
Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 7.23.55 PM.png

Stay safe guys.........

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Granted I've only been with the company five years and my area doesn't get hit as hard as the northern areas in this thread, but I haven't seen ups shut down for snow yet. We had 3 feet my first year there as a local sorter and state of emergency and we were still expected to be on time.

We shut down once for snow in my 6.5 years while driving. A fast moving storm with ice and snow came in hours before it was predicted to. Roughly 60 of us were stuck a few miles from the building to due the road and a bunch of stuck cars all over the road. Me and a few co-workers stayed the night in a hotel right down the street and went in the next morning. No routes eent out, but we could have loaded the cars if we chose. I went home.

PT Car Washer

So how does ups treat snow? Do you have to burn option days? Or get some kind of a free pass or does service just cease for a whole day if it's bad enough?
You don't work, you don't get paid. Major headache depending on how long packages are backed up. May take a week or more before things are back to normal.

Packmule

So how does ups treat snow? Do you have to burn option days? Or get some kind of a free pass or does service just cease for a whole day if it's bad enough?
Your choice. If they call it off and shutdown, tell them when they call if you want to apply a personal or take it at no pay.

UPSGUY72

You don't work, you don't get paid. Major headache depending on how long packages are backed up. May take a week or more before things are back to normal.

Thank god this is after peak when the volume has dropped off drastically. One of my ORS had to go to Buffalo last year when a band of the area got more than 3 FT. One building was back up 300,000 packages. After a week they still hadn't caught up. He said he had one stop that he delivered over 1000 packages.

moyk

I'm a pt supervisor at a hub in Massachusetts for the T sort. Tomorrow is going to suck with the weather and I totally understand if anyone chooses not to come in due to the blizzard. If I were still an hourly I know I wouldn't show for shift. Regardless, my commute is from Gloucester and I have a feeling that my 2002 neon ain't going to make it with two feet of snow, anyone think I'm justified to let my boss know that my cummute is literally a death sentance with this kinda weather?

Last edited by a moderator:

brett636

yea, unless you have 4wd I would be letting my fulltimer know I am not going to make it. No job is worth risking your life over, and if I were in your shoes I wouldn't be making it to work on Monday given your transportation limitations. Just my humble opinion of course, but take it for what it is worth. Chances are good there won't be many employees to supervise anyway, and if you were to show up you would be forced to work for hours non stop doing hourly work because the hourlies didn't show up. Goodluck!

brett636

Another thought is to check into your local homeland security updates on traveling. Last winter I called in two days because a heavy snow storm hit and my county(mostly rural county) was under the most severe travel restrictions requiring only emergency travel which did not include personal travel to work. I heard those that did show up were asked to go places that legally they could not go too because of travel restrictions(I am in feeders). If you can blame it on travel restrictions in your area there isn't much UPS can do in terms of retribution if you don't show.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I remember the blizzard of 78. it was a great party time. everything was shut down. there were curfews and the national guard was brought out to stop looting.

the snow was piled up so high that we built igloos and had fires in them and sat around the fire and drank and got high.

all the neighbors were out walking around because no one could drive and everyone was talking to one another. it was a really special 4-5 days until things got back to normal.

its a nice memory.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Another thought is to check into your local homeland security updates on traveling. Last winter I called in two days because a heavy snow storm hit and my county(mostly rural county) was under the most severe travel restrictions requiring only emergency travel which did not include personal travel to work. I heard those that did show up were asked to go places that legally they could not go too because of travel restrictions(I am in feeders). If you can blame it on travel restrictions in your area there isn't much UPS can do in terms of retribution if you don't show.
many years ago in my area,..I woke up at 4:00 AM, dig and plow out of my home to get to work. Arrived at work to only have less than half the drivers show up. I was told to do "my best" on area even though there was a level 3 emergency for driving,..UPS stated that we were delivering medications therefore we would fly under the level 3 status (police, fire , EMS). Got down to my area, and was immediately told to park my package car by the police,...sat at a local coffee shop with a few other drivers for about 4 hrs., then we were instructed to return....apparently rules for the general populace do not apply to UPS,..special rules, can I get a few

brown bomber

brown bomber
I remember the blizzard of 78. it was a great party time. everything was shut down. there were curfews and the national guard was brought out to stop looting.

the snow was piled up so high that we built igloos and had fires in them and sat around the fire and drank and got high.

all the neighbors were out walking around because no one could drive and everyone was talking to one another. it was a really special 4-5 days until things got back to normal.

its a nice memory.
I was a part -timer when that big snow occured in NE Ohio,..my brother drove me to work (twi-lite shift)...he had a Chevy Chevette,..he made it back to the hub after my shift,...and we drove around for about an hour or so watching the snow pile up,..then hit a bar walking distance from home,...young and stupid

brown bomber

brown bomber
What did you guys do during the "great power outage",..not sure of the year, but it occured throughout the upper Midwest and Great lakes region,..might have been 2005

We couldn't even park our cars in building,..until they could get generators running,..didn't even want drivers to get to their lockers to get the keys for personal vehicles

My first stop after work,..a few bags of ice, and a 12 pack,..then took my daughters for a walk around the dark ,silent neighborhood.....everybody was grilling the partially thawed meats from the freezer,....when in doubt GRILL