Major east coast snow storm

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Here in the Boston area the weather service warns against all unnecessary travel past Monday afternoon. I don't imagine being able to get to my station on Tuesday.

they might fire you if you don't come in. You need to come in. You did say this is a great company and you are treated well no?
But if you don't come in just send an email to Fred and you're covered.

MassWineGuy

No problem. I'll start out right now. To the many cynical, burned out folks in this thread, I still like the company. My manager lives in the same town I do, so I'll see how well he can drive in on Tuesday.

I have nothing to do with posting the pic of that FedEx exec.

oldngray

nowhere special
Funniest_Memes_bosses-cancel-work-because-of-snow_11146.jpeg

ch317273

When your bank says no, champion says YES
Yeah be safe my hub canceled my freight run everyone be safe I heard p&d freight guys were dispatched early to see if they could get as much off as possible, but I feel bad for them guys out when it gets nuts

STFXG

We never get that at Ground. We ask "are we weather exempt today?" And they don't know until 15:00. Could be dumping snow and they won't tell you it's ok to use the weather code. I've stopped asking and just tell my guys to come in when it starts getting too sketchy. Management does not care about safety. I've been there for a long time and have never had management tell me to come in because of snow.
You don't have to wait for permission. I just call the terminal and notify them that we are using weather code. They can then put in for the exemption. It's used at YOUR discretion. If they try and tell you anything different you can go to contractor relations to get it sorted out.
They aren't paying to get your truck towed out or paying for an accident due to weather. Not worth the risk, it can always be done the next day.

bbsam

Staff member
You don't have to wait for permission. I just call the terminal and notify them that we are using weather code. They can then put in for the exemption. It's used at YOUR discretion. If they try and tell you anything different you can go to contractor relations to get it sorted out.
They aren't paying to get your truck towed out or paying for an accident due to weather. Not worth the risk, it can always be done the next day.
Depends on how I feel on any given day. Sometimes I ask, sometimes I tell. But I've never had to fight about it either way.

It will be fine

The problem is they get all pissy when we don't use weather or holiday if it's been approved. It makes their service number look bad and they aren't supposed to change the codes we apply. This year I told my guys to use the weather code until April. If it's not approved they can change it at night. And our contractor relations is completely worthless. Most of the time they don't respond at all, rarely if ever helpful when they do.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Gov. Baker has declared a travel ban in Mass. tomorrow. Yet everyone must report to work. FedEx considers themselves vital, pure BS.
So what does your sm want you to do, walk to work? Just call them up and tell them you were on the way and the highway patrol made you turn around and go home.

It will be fine

Gov. Baker has declared a travel ban in Mass. tomorrow. Yet everyone must report to work. FedEx considers themselves vital, pure BS.
Who do they think you'll be delivering to? If the state is basically shut down you're not getting anything done anyway. I think they like to pretend it won't be that bad so people think they'll have to work. Then when it actually happens they change their story.

WDL

Here in the Boston area the weather service warns against all unnecessary travel past Monday afternoon. I don't imagine being able to get to my station on Tuesday.

If there's freight in the building then you're working. No travel ban is going to stop FedEx from going out on the road. C'mon we're essential!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

When I was younger, dumber, and full of FedEx, my state also had a travel ban due to extreme weather. As you said, FedEx required that everyone come-in because we were a crucial industry, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, as I'm navigating through 2 feet of snow on the freeway, an officer pulls me over, and he's having none of the FedEx crap. I talked my way out of a ticket and had him write me a note that said essentially that FedEx wasn't above the ban.

Screw them. Also, please be aware that it is your call whether conditions are unsafe. This option is buried in FedEx policy and management will never inform you of it because they want you working and not disrupting Fred's cash flow. Basically, it works like this. If you choose to go on the road, any incident or accident is on you, because you chose to drive. You have shifted all liability to yourself.

Be smart. Inform them that conditions are "unsafe" and don't go out on the road. If you want to be a hero, be my guest, but be aware that they will throw you straight under the bus if anything happens.