Major Layoffs

King Of Queens

Hey guys just wanted to see if this is happening at any other building's. Are Center Manager called a meeting at 745 am today to let all full time drivers know that as of Monday they would be laying off 25 drivers between the 3 centers in our building. Is this happening anywhere else as of Monday or anytime soon. ????

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We didn't even have enough drivers for this weeks volume. There were grievances for supervisors working and excessive overtime. There is no way they are laying anyone off here.

evilleace

Not heard of it here but we only have about 50 routes heard that 10 might be cut not sure I believe it though as that would put all remaining drivers way over.

Re-Raise

We were heavy this week also, but if I were a betting man, which I am I would bet volume will drop significantly over the next couple of weeks.

If I remember right we were heavy last year the first couple of weeks in January before a big drop off. That drop will probably be larger this year with the lack of consumer confidence and the high unemployment.

I also think the fact we have had two three day work weeks leading up to this week added to the high volume this week.

gded

heavy all week. most due to snow in the west and people getting gift caeds for x-mas, than ordering stuff. Volume should drop off weeks to come.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I was laid off last week, then they called me back begging me to drive. Management got caught with their pants down again. 100 years in business, multi billion dollar company and you would think they just started yesterday.

All sorts of grievances here for supervisors working as well.

McLeod

If they are cutting routes and you are getting over 9.5 do the right thing and file so you can keep your fellow drivers under you working. Everyone get the big picture here!!! This the only way we can stand up to the major layoffs!

29th Christmas

10 hours OT this week, and my fellow drivers had as much or more.

I would be more understanding if they didn't try to get away with 10 hour dispatches 10 months outta the year. I threatened a 9.5 grievance and got even more help.

BigBadBrownCow

yup, rumor has it all cover drivers getting laid off although even with 2 split cars put in, for each city, 3 cities per our center the past 2 weeks and over 10 drivers pulling close to 11.99 hours all week. but i too remember it was like this last january. heard volume is dropping to :censored2: in the coming weeks if not months.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There are 5 jobs up for bid at my center. 2 routes and 3 cover jobs.

Yessir. A couple of those are coveted routes, no? It's January, so the retirees will open up a few slots.

I probably shouldn't have put my name up, and waited for the triple bump for the next wave of openings, but I put my name up. Also rumour is that those drivers who do go as covers will be bumped down to part-time if they don't have seniority to bump the other covers, until at least May-June when vacations kick in.

Side note - you have to love the "extension of annual bid" purpose, keep the PT's out (sarcasm)

I'mTheMan

At my hubs, I still seen top supervisors and managements driving package cars daily. Really no excuse for that for stealing driver's work. So far we did not seen any layoff yet due to very wild weather in most part of state that is still in continuing. We still have heavy volume coming in from the box rail cars from east coast that is still a very strong volume right now.