Make it work or else...

didyousheetit

I can recall hearing the same thing when they rolled out PAS/EDD.

I'm sure some of the old timers heard this when they rolled out driver release or introduced next day and second day air.

As with any new service offering/technological advance there will be "growing pains" which the company will work out. The ironic part is that current drivers will work out the kinks to the detriment of future hires (lower wages/longer progression).
Are you on Orion? I've been on it for nearly two years. Trust me, it's nothing at all like getting used to edd we've been on edd for about 6 years now. If you're not on it yet, when you do go on it you will see why drivers are so frustrated with it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

tourists24

I'm sure some of the old timers heard this when they rolled out driver release or introduced next day and second day air.

As with any new service offering/technological advance there will be "growing pains" which the company will work out. The ironic part is that current drivers will work out the kinks to the detriment of future hires (lower wages/longer progression).
ORION is not like when PAS/EDD was implemented. Those systems were dreaded simply because it was new. Once you learned how it worked it made our job easier. Yes it brought more stops physically but the job itself was simpler. ORION makes our job harder all around. My center has been on it now for months and it's horrible. It has us all shaking our heads.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It's funny
The lower percentage I get on Orion, the more miles I cut. I know the route better than an IE geek back at the building who likes connecting dots on a map..

Unfortunately it's the bad drivers who can't work efficiently who will keep this garbage in operations.

IlllIIllIIlllIllIIIlIlIlI

I was put on Orion a about a year ago. I looked at it on day one and thought it was useless counter-productive :censored2: and never looked at it since. I was told earlier this month that I had to follow it. Now I'm being harassed about how I'm now over-hours when I follow it. I can either be under hours and not follow it, or over and follow it. They'd rather I follow it and be over. It really bothered me at first, but now I really don't care. I'd follow 100% if it was actually possible.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Try to find packages on the 6000 shelf in a bricked out package car while you're trying to run your air. Sounds like a great idea.

Today I had misc (non bulk stops) stuff chest high front to back in the morning and Orion wanted me to pull from 1000,2000,4000 and 7000 shelves before my air was off (5 air stops in two neighboring towns) and my last air was scheduled about 20 stops in. Someone needs to call out the company on Orion and how you have to go against pretty much every method to make it work. End range motions to reach packages on shelves you can't safely reach, no safe egress, constant left turns, constantly having to back into residential driveways every few stops to change directions, crossing dangerous traffic delivering on the wrong side of the street, etc.

C

chuchu

Yeah, right.
Every day we still go to the belts, trade airs and later call in to remind dispatch of the pick up accounts they forgot to dispatch.
EDD is not the answer because ignorant people told us to stay out of it because we are only ignorant truck drivers.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That'll change. It's a national push right now so if Orion is deployed, you'll eventually see the dorks with the ipads again trying to "calibrate" you guys then you'll be forced to use it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That'll change. It's a national push right now so if Orion is deployed, you'll eventually see the dorks with the ipads again trying to "calibrate" you guys then you'll be forced to use it.
And then best case scenario it take them a year to figure out how to keep me under 9.5. In the meantime I'll make plenty of triple time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Load in the order of delivery. We used to call that a custom load job back in the day. I don't think it is allowed anymore.

My loader does what you might call a mini-custom load. Most of the car is loaded by PAL but he does move bulk stops around to make it easier on me. He also loads all of the addresses for the college together which makes it really easy. It's amazing what a $100 tip means to a full time college student.

Indecisi0n

Air doesn't screw up your trace. For people being directed to follow it, first run ONLY air. Then turn on Orion and enjoy your 9.5 checks. I havent been directed because they know if they do that to me I will follow it 100% and need business and residential help.

Rainman

Its all good.
Air doesn't screw up your trace. For people being directed to follow it, first run ONLY air. Then turn on Orion and enjoy your 9.5 checks. I havent been directed because they know if they do that to me I will follow it 100% and need business and residential help.
Sometimes you have to let the train wreck happen in order to get them to listen to you. At least your management team has the good sense not to let that happen.

Overpaid Union Thug

I was put on Orion a about a year ago. I looked at it on day one and thought it was useless counter-productive :censored2: and never looked at it since. I was told earlier this month that I had to follow it. Now I'm being harassed about how I'm now over-hours when I follow it. I can either be under hours and not follow it, or over and follow it. They'd rather I follow it and be over. It really bothered me at first, but now I really don't care. I'd follow 100% if it was actually possible.

We get it next year. They won't know what to do with me because I'm usually "over allowed" now. Imagine what will happen if they tell me to meet the ORION metric.