Making a stop one of your last

OPTION3

Not only have I done this to send a little "message", but when I was a rookie it helped me resolve an issue with a really clown of a customer. Every day this guy at a particular dock would act like a dick towards me. He would talk all sorts of crap, and say out loud "You'll wait until I'm ready to sign got it?" It would piss me off like crazy, but it was a pretty big stop, and I wanted it off of my package car. Anyway, on Thursday's though this guy would run over and almost give me a handy. I couldn't get his lips off of my ass fast enough on Thursday's, and being so new I had no idea why. So one day I bring this up to the regular driver that I would cover for, and he laughs and says "Well Thursday's are pay day. He wants that payroll you're delivering. If I was you, and this guy was treating me this way, I'd hold that payroll until 4:59 PM every Thursday until he changed his tune". I thought about it and decided to try it. One Thursday came, and although I was buried with a lot of packages for this guys stop, I moved it around ALL day until just before 5 PM. I pull up to the dock and this guy's going nuts. He's screaming at me left and right. Apparently they have an armored van that pulls into the yard on Thursday to cash checks for people. Like a Mobile Check Cashing Van. A lot of people, including this clown, were pissed that they not only didn't get their checks, but couldn't cash them early. So he's screaming at me, asking me where the friend I was early, and I calmly say "Well you treat me like S every day but Thursday's, and I have to wait for you to sign when you feel like it every day but Thursdays, so from now on I'll come at 4:59 PM until you start taking care of me the second you see me." He was pissed, and cursed me out some more, and then called in a concern. My center manager pulls me into the office the next morning and asks me what happened. I explained to him how this guy acts towards me daily with the insults, and purposely making me wait, and told him I had had enough. My center manager actually sided with me, oddly, and without saying it, smiled that he supported my decision. I'm not sure what he said to the customer when he called him back, but the next time I went there, and EVERY day after, he kissed my ass like it was made out of Budweiser and chocolate. You don't treat me like S and get away with it. Customers sometimes have to learn a hard lesson about how to treat their delivery people. We're there to make your day great if you're courteous, but act like an ass towards us and you'll still get your stuff, but at the end of the day. Hey, you might just be closed some days too by the time we get there. Oh shucks. Sorry. I'll try harder tomorrow! haha. Nope. If you're gonna S all over us you'll do it when we decide it's time, not at your convenience!
I used to have a High school on my route. The "golf cart NAZI" at the front gate, would get p/o'ed when I would go around the line of cars he was waiting to "check in". I would tap horn(to establish eye contact with the people in the cars) and then go around to the delivery dock. He would radio to the office that I was RUDE and LAYING on the horn as I BLEW by him, Then scream over the radio to get my number--he's calling my boss. I gave the lady at the desk the number and told her to make sure he told the story about the horn…cause I'm supposed to do that. He stopped me on the way out, and asked why I did not wait behind the 10 cars or so "in line"…I said that won't be happening. The next day the guy puts up cones where its only one way in and out. I come to the end of the line of cars, stop get out with his 3 packages and walk to the front asking him to sign. He Blows a gasket about me waiting, I sheet all 3 pkgs REFUSED, in remarks i put per..his name. at the very end of my day I get a request to go back and re attempt because these packages are medical equipment for a BIG football game and they NEED them. Send response …can not go back but will be glad to place on will call for the customer to pick up at HIS convieniance. Golf cart guy (also assistant coach on football team) had to go to the counter and wait until after I returned to get packages. Wonder why UPS gets WAVED in to the school now, and it's one of the shortest delivery stops we have now? TRAINING LADS….TRAINING

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would you go anywhere near a school during drop off or pick up time? I have 3 schools and 1 district office only area, Only one of the schools is an issue and I make sure I am nowhere near there between 1415-1445.

I swear, some of you guys make this job harder than it needs to be.

Sent using BrownCafe App

OPTION3

Why would you go anywhere near a school during drop off or pick up time? I have 3 schools and 1 district office only area, Only one of the schools is an issue and I make sure I am nowhere near there between 1415-1445.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Who said ANYTHING about drop off or pick up time? You ASSume way too much …delivery time was at 1130….Drop off/Pickup time is 1500--This school will have maybe 200 cars in a line at pickup time(not everyone lives in podunk) Management blow hards are such doosh bags… BTW you ever drive a golf cart ?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What other conclusion could I come to based on your post? Normally the only times you have a line of cars outside of a school is at drop off or pickup time. Why would there be a line of cars outside of a school at 11:30am? If you are outside of the drop off/pickup times the golf cart Nazi can go pound sand.

Sent using BrownCafe App

OPTION3

Who said ANYTHING about drop off or pick up time? You ASSume way to much delivery time was at 1130--some people are such doosh bags… BTW you ever drive a golf cart ?
What other conclusion could I come to based on your post? Normally the only times you have a line of cars outside of a school is at drop off or pickup time. Why would there be a line of cars outside of a school at 11:30am? If you are outside of the drop off/pickup times the golf cart Nazi can go pound sand.

Sent using BrownCafe App[/quoteWhat other conclusion could I come to based on your post?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Sent using BrownCafe App
"What other conclusion could I come to based on your post? Normally the only times you have a line of cars outside of a school is at drop off or pickup time".-----Like most management , you would (and they do) make incorrect assumptions…Then it's BLAME the driver..tsk tsk tsk. "Why would there be a line of cars outside of a school at 11:30am?"----Who knows? I am not waiting in line to ask him why---like I said this is a huge school--at any one time(off hours) there can be 2 to twenty cars waiting on him to issue a pass to the office. "If you are outside of the drop off/pickup times the golf cart Nazi can go pound sand." Glad YOU thought of that…next time I'll do just…errr wait…Been there done that

wayfair

swollen member
Normally the only times you have a line of cars outside of a school is at drop off or pickup time. Why would there be a line of cars outside of a school at 11:30am?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I would ASSume at 11:30, parents would be picking children up for lunch?? I used to pick up my daughter for lunch whenever I had days off or were on vacation when she was in school.

I would ASSume at 11:30, parents would be picking children up for lunch?? I used to pick up my daughter for lunch whenever I had days off or were on vacation when she was in school.
Half day kindergarten? Picking up of am and drop off of afternoon.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Island---every year just before Peak our center manager will stand before us in the PCM and tell us, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, that we are not allowed to accept tips, knowing full well that we do.

There is nothing wrong with accepting a tip as a thank you for exceptional customer service and, yes, it is imperative that you follow that up with a thank you note or heartfelt "thank you".

There is definitely something wrong with tailoring the level of service that you provide to the amount of money that they tip you. Strong arming a customer by dramatically changing their delivery time in order to receive a tip is quite clearly the wrong thing to do and any concern received as a result of doing this is clearly justified. Discarding a gift from a customer on their property is beyond reprehensible.
A rural stop on my route gives me 100 bucks for a Xmas tip. When the driveway is iced or drifted I walk it off. Without the tip I might still do it but being appreciated makes me walk the extra mile.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If the manager of the gas station had time to come out of his office and make a speech, he had time to solve the problem by signing for the package himself.

His behavior--talking ABOUT a driver who was standing right in front of him rather than talking TO him--constitutes verbal abuse and its not something I would stand for.

I would have politely asked the manager to sign, and if he continued ignoring me or verbally abusing me I would sheet the pkg as "refused" and walk away. I'm not going to play games or put up wiith getting jerked around. I'm not going to beg for a signature.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This business I had used to give me a great tip every x-mas. Sometimes the owner would give me a tip in June or July just to keep up the great service I gave him. He was in an area that I normally would get there around 4 pm. I would deliver his ground packages during my NDA run. I would go out of my way to give him the service because he tipped me greatly.

One year he gave me a turkey for my tip. A freaking turkey! His wife got it for free at the supermarket. I left and on my way up to the office area where he had his secretary's and his office, I threw the turkey out the door.

From that point on he got his packages at 4:59 everyday. He got so sick and tired of it he called in a concern. The next day, at 4:59 again, I told his clerk that until he respected me more than that friggin' turkey he gave me, he would get his packages when I could get them to him. I pulled no punches whatsoever and the owner got the message loud and clear. A month later there were 2 crisp hundred dollar bills waiting for me at the stop. I got my message across and he got his packages in the morning again as he finally figured it out.

My center manager never said a word about it when I explained that I was going out of my way in the mornings to get his 2 or 3 packages off my truck. I heard that some lady had picked up the perfectly good turkey that was thrown off a truck and that story had made its way back to the owner.

Money talks!

I call BS.

If I am wrong and its not BS, you should be fired.

Sent using BrownCafe App

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I am the opposite: the bigger a PIA the stop is the earlier i try to get rid of it as gas stations and schools arent very busy 930-10 am

I had a similar situation.... Years ago I was covering the mall route and was fore warned about the owner of a coffee shop inside. My truck was packed with all of his boxes so I needed him to be my 1st stop. Loaded up 2 flatbed carts, knocked on his pulled down security gate 10 minutes before he opened and hours before he normally gets his delivery. I figured I was doing the guy a favor....... Right? WRONG!! When I knocked all I heard was, "not open yet" so I reply. Sir' it is UPS and I have your supplies....... "I SAID I AM NOT OPEN YET, ARE YOU DEAF?" well that day I returned at 8 pm to reattempt and he was mad as hell. From that day on, whether it was me or a fellow driver, he watched Mr. Brown walk past all day long, do his resi's, do his pick ups, take lunch and then he got his delivery no matter how many times he complained or how late it was. Don't friend#%k with your ups guy!

And yes, you do need to somewhat train your customers to notice you and sign for you to get you outthe door. It takes a while sometimes and it is as simple as knowing their names. A simple "hey Bob" gets you to the front of the line without seeming like you are pushy or rude. But there is a time and place for everything so when someone acts like a :censored2: they should be prepared to deal with a :censored2:.

Marne Vet

I always loved the customers that tried the 'ole "Well my regular driver delivers my stuff around so-and-so time". "Oh, is that so? Let me look at this delivery record from the other day that I had printed out, and what do ya know, I'm here at the same time he was yesterday. Now that's odd huh?" That's usually when they stfu. Don't pull that BS with us. We talk to the bidder drivers and also check the delivery and pickup record for the day and week before (some of us) before we take out a new trip. I used to hate that back in the day. They're as bad as the daily jerkoffs that call in BS concerns about not getting a delivery notice, and that we never knocked or rang the bell. Then you go there the next day and they're holding the notice, and say "My bell is broken", "I wasn't home", or "Sorry I didn't hear you". Why call in a lying concern then?! Jerkoffs, all of them.

OPTION3

I always loved the customers that tried the 'ole "Well my regular driver delivers my stuff around so-and-so time". "Oh, is that so? Let me look at this delivery record from the other day that I had printed out, and what do ya know, I'm here at the same time he was yesterday. Now that's odd huh?" That's usually when they stfu. Don't pull that BS with us. We talk to the bidder drivers and also check the delivery and pickup record for the day and week before (some of us) before we take out a new trip. I used to hate that back in the day. They're as bad as the daily jerkoffs that call in BS concerns about not getting a delivery notice, and that we never knocked or rang the bell. Then you go there the next day and they're holding the notice, and say "My bell is broken", "I wasn't home", or "Sorry I didn't hear you". Why call in a lying concern then?! Jerkoffs, all of them.
They think by complaining that YOU did something wrong…they will get that delivery the SAME day as the concern

Cementups

Box Monkey
Marne, when I took over my current route I would hear it a lot about how "the old driver used to get here at x:xx." I'd say, "well she's not here anymore and I will get things here as soon as I can. just as you want your packages ASAP, I want them off my truck ASAP." Now my customers set their clock by me, not the previous driver.