Making Ends Meet

vantexan

So you've changed to being an Obama supporter? Come on, you're a smart guy, and besides, Fred supports Romney. That should be reason enough for anyone to reconsider supporting Captain Magic Underpants.

Bill Maher supports Obama, more than enough reason to vote for anyone else.

LTFedExer

Oh, you didn't incur medical bills like I did? Are you under the impression that couriers should never want anything better in their lives? That they should always live as though they only make 35 hrs a week? And that if their 35 hrs are based on considerably less pay than someone else's then they should just accept that and never want more? Is it a crime to want more than the bare minimum? I'd very much would like a motorhome. Can't afford one, but that's what I want. Should I give up my goal and just live in a basic apartment with few if any amenities? 4 bare walls and a cot are good enough for me, huh?
Sorry to hear about the medical bills you say you have. I'm by no means saying you shouldn't want more. You would never be happy no matter how much you made. I want a honeymoon in Bora Bora, but that won't happen and I'll live without it. If you hate the company SO MUCH, leave. There's other options out there. Ricochet went to school on FedEx's dime (I believe) and then left for 'greener' pastures.....you can too.

Ricochet1a

Ricochet went to school on FedEx's dime (I believe) and then left for 'greener' pastures.....you can too.

Not quite...

$3000 a year just made a very small dent in the debt I accumulated while I completed my Graduate work (I would've just preferred to be paid what I was worth and forgo any "tuition reimbursement"). I continued to work to maintain health insurance and to help prevent from getting too far into debt (my wife was making decent money, but no benefits with her line of work). Total value of the Express compensation (wages, benefits, health insurance, etc.) was worth about $25,000 a year to me - and over the time I was a Courier (all part-time), that did add up to a fair amount (which I'm not faced with paying back now).

Getting out and about for a few hours a day helped to keep me physically active somewhat to offset all the time I practically lived in the library or my small "student office".

The Express tuition reimbursement didn't keep me at Express, it was first the need for health insurance, secondly it was the very part-time nature of the work, thirdly was the fact that the schedule was fixed, so I didn't have to worry about conflicts arising between work and school.

I said it before, for someone going to school, working part-time for Express for a few years isn't a "bad gig". HOWEVER, for someone working full-time - it is the worst "gig" imaginable.

Ricochet1a

The worst gig imaginable? That's a little hyperbolic.

Well, how else could one describe a situation where an employee is told by their employer:

"You'll go far here"...

"You are fairly compensated for the work you do"...

"You can be assured that you will have a career for as long as you want"...

"You are valued by the company you work for"...

"You are valued above potential profits by this company"...

"Your management will treat you with respect"...

Some may call a "bad gig", as doing something extremely unpleasant.

I call a bad gig a situation where one is doing something with one set of "reality", and the company one is working for is constantly trying to tell you something completely different - as if what you are experiencing is some form of personal delusion.

If I'm to shovel horse manure (and am told, you are going to shovel horse manure), then I'm fine with that - it is what it is.

But when I was being told about rainbow spotted unicorns - and all I saw, smelled and heard was horse manure being produced - then there is an issue. I call it a "bad gig" or a severe case of psychotic delusion.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, how else could one describe a situation where an employee is told by their employer:

"You'll go far here"...

"You are fairly compensated for the work you do"...

"You can be assured that you will have a career for as long as you want"...

"You are valued by the company you work for"...

"You are valued above potential profits by this company"...

"Your management will treat you with respect"...

Some may call a "bad gig", as doing something extremely unpleasant.

I call a bad gig a situation where one is doing something with one set of "reality", and the company one is working for is constantly trying to tell you something completely different - as if what you are experiencing is some form of personal delusion.

If I'm to shovel horse manure (and am told, you are going to shovel horse manure), then I'm fine with that - it is what it is.

But when I was being told about rainbow spotted unicorns - and all I saw, smelled and heard was horse manure being produced - then there is an issue. I call it a "bad gig" or a severe case of psychotic delusion.

Hey, I was told that the rainbow spotted unicorn farted glitter and pooped money!! It can't be!! You mean...Fred lied?

vantexan

Sorry to hear about the medical bills you say you have. I'm by no means saying you shouldn't want more. You would never be happy no matter how much you made. I want a honeymoon in Bora Bora, but that won't happen and I'll live without it. If you hate the company SO MUCH, leave. There's other options out there. Ricochet went to school on FedEx's dime (I believe) and then left for 'greener' pastures.....you can too.

Really? 50, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure don't make me a candidate for a second career. And why is it about hate? And who are you to tell me I'd never be happy? I've consistently said over and over that all I want is the pension that was promised and to top out in a reasonable amount of time. Why do you constantly say 35 hrs are enough? You say you aren't saying I shouldn't want more then turn right around and say I shouldn't want more. Why do you defend the company in pretty much every circumstance? Why are you so happy with the idea that everyone will soon be driven down close to 35 hrs? Do you get a thrill out of seeing everyone struggle? Why is it for years now you've had special insight into everyone's mind, knowing how they really feel better than they do? Why do you say such stupid things? Were you dropped on your head as a child? Is that your avatar or your real face? I've given more of my life to this company than you, why don't you leave? Why do you stay? Are you handicapped? Why DO you say such stupid things? Why, why, why, why, why? Do others sort your freight for you? Are you a mgr? If not, why? You have what it takes. There are other options out there you know. Or do you know? Is senility a problem in your family? Do you have a family? Do they claim you? If not there are other options out there. You could make Kool-ade? Do you like Kool-ade? Do you bathe in it? Why not? Geez I've got to stop drinking the Lipton...

LTFedExer

Really? 50, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure don't make me a candidate for a second career. And why is it about hate? And who are you to tell me I'd never be happy? I've consistently said over and over that all I want is the pension that was promised and to top out in a reasonable amount of time. Why do you constantly say 35 hrs are enough? You say you aren't saying I shouldn't want more then turn right around and say I shouldn't want more. Why do you defend the company in pretty much every circumstance? Why are you so happy with the idea that everyone will soon be driven down close to 35 hrs? Do you get a thrill out of seeing everyone struggle? Why is it for years now you've had special insight into everyone's mind, knowing how they really feel better than they do? Why do you say such stupid things? Were you dropped on your head as a child? Is that your avatar or your real face? I've given more of my life to this company than you, why don't you leave? Why do you stay? Are you handicapped? Why DO you say such stupid things? Why, why, why, why, why? Do others sort your freight for you? Are you a mgr? If not, why? You have what it takes. There are other options out there you know. Or do you know? Is senility a problem in your family? Do you have a family? Do they claim you? If not there are other options out there. You could make Kool-ade? Do you like Kool-ade? Do you bathe in it? Why not? Geez I've got to stop drinking the Lipton...
In order you stated above:
1. With problems like you listed, maybe you might consider another position within FedEx, if not another company...CSA, dispatch, etc.
2. If FedEx topped you out tomorrow, you'd still want more. And I agree with you about the pension.
3. I never said 35 is enough. I've said 35 is what they guarantee you and you shouldn't ASSUME you'll work 40-50 every week. I've told the new hires that used to work 50 hrs/wk not to get used to it, it'll be gone before they know it. They didn't believe me until they stopped PT'ers from doing deliveries after 10:30. This was advice someone told me when I started a little over 12 years ago. I didn't believe them either.
4. I never said you SHOULDN'T want more....everyone does. But, don't expect FedEx to just hand it over because you asked for it.
5. I don't defend what the company does, only that they have the right to do it.
6. I don't like seeing my co-workers struggle. I just don't feel sorry for the ones that put themselves in that position. I have a co-worker who's wife's medication were changed to one not covered by CIGNA. Do I feel bad for him? Yes. He's a great guy and we hang out outside of work.
7. Insult me all you want....doesn't bother me.
8. I have no reason to leave. But, if you must know, I have filled out applications for other companies.
9. I wouldn't want to be a manager. If you think you're under pressure, try it out sometime.

Your comments would carry more weight if you dropped the insults. But, feel free to fire away.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
1. With problems like you listed, maybe you might consider another position within FedEx, if not another company...CSA, dispatch, etc.
2. If FedEx topped you out tomorrow, you'd still want more. And I agree with you about the pension.
3. I never said 35 is enough. I've said 35 is what they guarantee you and you shouldn't ASSUME you'll work 40-50 every week. I've told the new hires that used to work 50 hrs/wk not to get used to it, it'll be gone before they know it. They didn't believe me until they stopped PT'ers from doing deliveries after 10:30. This was advice someone told me when I started a little over 12 years ago. I didn't believe them either.
4. I never said you SHOULDN'T want more....everyone does. But, don't expect FedEx to just hand it over because you asked for it.
5. I don't defend what the company does, only that they have the right to do it.
6. I don't like seeing my co-workers struggle. I just don't feel sorry for the ones that put themselves in that position. I have a co-worker who's wife's medication were changed to one not covered by CIGNA. Do I feel bad for him? Yes. He's a great guy and we hang out outside of work.
8. I have no reason to leave. But, if you must know, I have filled out applications for other companies.
9. I wouldn't want to be a manager. If you think you're under pressure, try it out sometime.

Your comments would carry more weight if you dropped the insults. But, feel free to fire away.

vantexan

I'm just having a little fun with you. But you do, over and over, tell us that 35 hrs are plenty and that you have all you need on 35 hrs. And you constantly say that I'd never be satisfied no matter how much I made. After grossing about $120,000 less than topped out couriers on my payscale since I was rehired(on 40 hrs a week) I'd like to try a little experiment. Let them top me out, and I'll see what that feels like for a few months. If I'm happy with it I'll let you know then stop posting on this forum. Seems like a fair trade. If you could make that happen I'd appreciate it. If you can't guess I'll just have to keep posting stuff that irritates you. And by the way, I've never asked FedEx to just hand anything over. I've asked to be rewarded for working hard for them. I've never understood people who think it's ok for one group to get X amount, but act like others doing the same job for considerably less in the same company should just be grateful they have a job. As if we are trying to get away with something crooked just wanting equal compensation. Do you not understand that?

LTFedExer

Easy two word answer. FedEx sucks.
I dare you to find in ANY of my posts where I said I love the company.
I'm just having a little fun with you. But you do, over and over, tell us that 35 hrs are plenty and that you have all you need on 35 hrs. And you constantly say that I'd never be satisfied no matter how much I made. After grossing about $120,000 less than topped out couriers on my payscale since I was rehired(on 40 hrs a week) I'd like to try a little experiment. Let them top me out, and I'll see what that feels like for a few months. If I'm happy with it I'll let you know then stop posting on this forum. Seems like a fair trade. If you could make that happen I'd appreciate it. If you can't guess I'll just have to keep posting stuff that irritates you. And by the way, I've never asked FedEx to just hand anything over. I've asked to be rewarded for working hard for them. I've never understood people who think it's ok for one group to get X amount, but act like others doing the same job for considerably less in the same company should just be grateful they have a job. As if we are trying to get away with something crooked just wanting equal compensation. Do you not understand that?
I never said 35 is plenty. What I said was that I budget myself on 35 and anything over that is bonus money. Try this for an experiment. Ask the UPS drivers in your area if they deserve more money and you'll understand what I'M saying. Its human nature, the more you have....the more you want. Look around and you'll see...Enron, Bernard Madoff, Charles Ponzi, The Galleon Group, etc etc etc. Even those making MILLIONS in salary wanted more, but they stole to get it just because it wasn't enough.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I never said 35 is plenty. What I said was that I budget myself on 35 and anything over that is bonus money. Try this for an experiment. Ask the UPS drivers in your area if they deserve more money and you'll understand what I'M saying. Its human nature, the more you have....the more you want. Look around and you'll see...Enron, Bernard Madoff, Charles Ponzi, The Galleon Group, etc etc etc. Even those making MILLIONS in salary wanted more, but they stole to get it just because it wasn't enough.

At FedEx, it's human nature to desire a living wage. I don't think anyone who works for FedEx as an hourly expects to get wealthy. They just want a decent-paying job and to reach top wage within a reasonable amount of time (less than 30 years). Mr. Smith isn't willing to do that. Seems like a simple issue to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that we are fairly compensated for what we do.

Goldilocks

At FedEx, it's human nature to desire a living wage. I don't think anyone who works for FedEx as an hourly expects to get wealthy. They just want a decent-paying job and to reach top wage within a reasonable amount of time (less than 30 years). Mr. Smith isn't willing to do that. Seems like a simple issue to me.

Please dont take me wrong but, I understand your frustration along with many others, including me, but one thing I dont get, why do you continuously blame FS for Everything? Why not blame MT3? I personally have been told of many occasions when people in Mem talking about layoffs for the hourlies and FS got very upset and walked out. He wont stand for it. I stand by that man and that man only. He created this company that gave all of us jobs. Thats one thing we should be thankful for. Its so far out of his hands now.... Now others, Hmmm, no comment

vantexan

Please dont take me wrong but, I understand your frustration along with many others, including me, but one thing I dont get, why do you continuously blame FS for Everything? Why not blame MT3? I personally have been told of many occasions when people in Mem talking about layoffs for the hourlies and FS got very upset and walked out. He wont stand for it. I stand by that man and that man only. He created this company that gave all of us jobs. Thats one thing we should be thankful for. Its so far out of his hands now.... Now others, Hmmm, no comment

Well Goldi you just "liked" a UPS employee who feels he gets paid fairly. As for Fred he's the one telling Wall Street about 10% operating margins and comprehensive restructuring for the Express division. He's the CEO....MT3 implements policies that he approves. Did it ever occur to you that they want you to believe he's on your side? He is, as long as you are as productive as possible for as little pay as possible. There's a very expensive town in AZ, Prescott Valley, that has a posted FT this week. It only has the B payscale. Try to find an affordable apartment there on B pay. I'd hate to see the hovel you'd have to live in there on that money.

vantexan

If you can't live on 35 hours/week, its your own fault and you should take a better look at your finances.

This is what you said. And you presume that people all have the same values. I've done without a car, lived in a RV, have no desire to have more, more, more. I do have a strong desire to be able to do what I want when I want(as long as it's legally and morally ok). Sounds like I want a lot of money, right? No, I'm willing to live in other countries where the cost of living is much lower. I've posted here and on Fedexaminer that I was willing to put up with the low pay as long as I got a decent pension. Right now my small pension is enough to get by on. But if I had gotten enough on a full pension it would offset future inflation. With the reduced pension I need to make more to save more to offset what I lost with the pension termination. You've put down the idea of needing a pension in the past. You won't be able to do this job forever. You may find that having that extra income is important. Certainly there are people who think their life sucks because they don't drive a hot car or have a 60" tv or live in a huge house in a posh suburb. I'm not one, and there are millions like me. I'm surprised anyone would have such a view of everyone around him.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It's still Fred's show. He gets the blame. You are apparently oblivious to how FedEx really runs. Who is the face of FedEx in Washington, DC? FS. Who has spent millions making sure his company was an "Express Carrier" under the RLA? FS. To every question I would ask along the lines of employee takeways and the creation of a FedEx kingdom, it all comes back to the same person..FS.

You have placed your confidence in the wrong person. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Goldilocks

I have no clue who works for Fedex and who doesn't on this forum...Thats ok, I am paid fairly, not great but its ok. Too late for me to change. But I as many of you have given my life to this company, and now I am at the end or near, so my youthful challenging spirit is declining. I dont like to fight battles anymore, but what I can do is to make all of you with less seniority, 28 or less, WISER. I will never ever forget what Fred has done for me and many of my coworkers, but what I will try to forget is the riff raff management that has tried to take so many down, talked behind their backs, betrayed their trust and simply tried to take certain employees down. I hate them for that. I had one senior that made a mockery out of this one guy who was heavy set and bald. He always wore a hat to cover his head because he was ashamed of being bald, people called him KOOL AID, like the smilling pitcher, he would just smile and take it. She announced very loud to everyone, #### take off your hat, you are not allowed to wear that on the sort, it was a company issued hat, she just wanted him to feel humiliated. Then she paper trailed him and he eventually got fired, probably because of his appearance, because he was never late or called in sick, a good employee. Hurtful hateful words are not good. This was NOT the beginings of Federal Express. The people placed in power have turned this company upside down. Fred has stood by our side until the little Federal Express exploded and is now a Huge Corporation. The Shareholders own us not Fred...

Guess my point is to blame whats in front of you, hold them accountable. We happen to have great managers in place at my station this time so I cant complain much.

LTFedExer

I've asked this before.......What is a livable wage? I consider what I get a livable wage (actually a little more than that). But, the courier next to me may not.
FS makes the final call.....period. If push came to shove, layoffs would be on the horizon.
This is what you said. And you presume that people all have the same values. I've done without a car, lived in a RV, have no desire to have more, more, more. I do have a strong desire to be able to do what I want when I want(as long as it's legally and morally ok). Sounds like I want a lot of money, right? No, I'm willing to live in other countries where the cost of living is much lower. I've posted here and on Fedexaminer that I was willing to put up with the low pay as long as I got a decent pension. Right now my small pension is enough to get by on. But if I had gotten enough on a full pension it would offset future inflation. With the reduced pension I need to make more to save more to offset what I lost with the pension termination. You've put down the idea of needing a pension in the past. You won't be able to do this job forever. You may find that having that extra income is important. Certainly there are people who think their life sucks because they don't drive a hot car or have a 60" tv or live in a huge house in a posh suburb. I'm not one, and there are millions like me. I'm surprised anyone would have such a view of everyone around him.
Would you have come to work for FedEx if there was NO pension? I think you would have. I doubt the pension plan was on your mind when you were hired. Remember, FedEx doesn't have to give you a pension at all. Worry about saving for yourself and the pension would like a bonus.