Making Something Everyone's Job...

Was just wondering if management has the right to all of a sudden make it everyone's job to do something. One of our supervisors has taken it upon himself to make it everyone's job to park our building at the end of the night, even when those of us who load trailers, unload trucks and scan smalls have already technically done our jobs. So basically everyone in the building, who has not snuck out, has to park. Can they just up and do this, even though it is not a position that was bid on?

JonFrum

Management can tell you to do just about anything, and you have to "work as instructed."

If you mean parking the package cars, then you must be properly trained and certified to park the cars, as you must be in any job, but especially a driving job. If you are not certified, that is dangerous. Accidents will happen. Excrement will impact the electric air circulating appliance.

You might also try getting the job of parking declared an official job so it can be bid upon by someone. Then the job should be done by the successful bidder and they won't need the rest of you to stay late.

Bang the snot out of the package cars and they won`t ask you. Back over said supervisor and the problem will be solved permanently.

JonFrum

Bang the snot out of the package cars and they won`t ask you. Back over said supervisor and the problem will be solved permanently.
Give a man a fish; he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish; he eats for a lifetime.

Feed the man to the fish; problem solved permanently.

The parking job used to be part of the fueler/car wash position, but this new sup. wants to get out early, so he's making just about everyone on shift park. Sucks after working 3.5 hrs., having to do someone else's job that they originally bid on...Then they get to go home due to seniority.
Also, come to find out the supervisor is working off the clock for a fellow employee, and said employee got to go home early last night.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The parking job used to be part of the fueler/car wash position, but this new sup. wants to get out early, so he's making just about everyone on shift park. Sucks after working 3.5 hrs., having to do someone else's job that they originally bid on...Then they get to go home due to seniority.
Also, come to find out the supervisor is working off the clock for a fellow employee, and said employee got to go home early last night.

WAD and file grievances.

Typically "extra work" is defined as offered by top seniority , then down list. If no one wants, lowest seniority person(s) are forced the work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Give a man a fish; he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish; he eats for a lifetime.

Feed the man to the fish; problem solved permanently.

Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of the day.

Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

brownrodster

Was just wondering if management has the right to all of a sudden make it everyone's job to do something. One of our supervisors has taken it upon himself to make it everyone's job to park our building at the end of the night, even when those of us who load trailers, unload trucks and scan smalls have already technically done our jobs. So basically everyone in the building, who has not snuck out, has to park. Can they just up and do this, even though it is not a position that was bid on?

Put a big ol' scratch in a truck or two and bend a bumper and you won't have to park trucks anymore.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't get it..........................

Here, the drivers have to park our own trucks. Sometimes we even have to park the truck next to us because that truck was parked correctly and the other driver didn't leave enough room. get out of my truck go get in the other truck pull it up and then back it in and then get out of that truck and go get in my truck an pull it up and back it it.............................. OH, sorry I was muttering to myself. :knockedout:

Osprey413

Bull**** Coordinator
Put a big ol' scratch in a truck or two and bend a bumper and you won't have to park trucks anymore.

If you use this approach I recommend you report the "accident" as soon as it happens. Otherwise they will have a nice little excuse to terminate you. (Union contract states unreported accidents are a terminable offense)

When I first started, we had 4 guys who just fueled, washed and parked. 2 years later, there is one full-time car washer, who does little to no work, and they just toss whoever is available in to help fuel. Then, the part-time supervisor (5 minutes before shift ends) tells everyone we're staying to park. Says it is now "everyone's job to park."
I personally think he just doesn't want to stay late, so he can go home to play video games....
Yet, according to UPS, we're fully staffed, and volume is low...

BTW, anyone else know that center and district mgrs get year-end bonuses for having the least amount of people working on shift? They would rather risk exhaustion/injury than have us fully staffed.

Billy

Yes they can, and will continue to do so. You can not refuse work if you want to remain employed. Sometimes that really sucks, but it's the way it is.

brownrodster

) tells everyone we're staying to park. Says it is now "everyone's job to park."
I personally think he just doesn't want to stay late, so he can go home to play video games.... .

Your center must be ultra podunk and even smaller than mine. Because we have people here around the clock.

tieguy

Banned

yes they can. Sounds like a push to reduce overtime. Its the easiest job you'll ever be asked to do at UPS.

SuperSup

When I first started, we had 4 guys who just fueled, washed and parked. 2 years later, there is one full-time car washer, who does little to no work, and they just toss whoever is available in to help fuel. Then, the part-time supervisor (5 minutes before shift ends) tells everyone we're staying to park. Says it is now "everyone's job to park."
I personally think he just doesn't want to stay late, so he can go home to play video games....
Yet, according to UPS, we're fully staffed, and volume is low...

BTW, anyone else know that center and district mgrs get year-end bonuses for having the least amount of people working on shift? They would rather risk exhaustion/injury than have us fully staffed.

No, you're the only one that knows this, since it's not true. If you believe that, then go ahead and bend the rigs, and don't report it, because then they'll say "Our mistake, you shouldn't be behind the wheel, go ahead and go home and enjoy your evening".