Making tha transition (pros and cons of managment)

diesel96

I signed up in October 2005 on the tranfer list. In late January on 2006 the center manager said my transfer went through. I had 24 hours to accept or decline. Three weeks later I was working in Montana. A month later another driver in Seattle (different center) tranfered here. Then in June 2006 another driver transfered from Oregon.
ChannahonQuote:
Originally Posted by 1989
Full time driver

I wasn't aware that UPS afforded that opportunity to full time drivers. I thought transfers were only for educational purposes for part time employees.

Something unique to the Region your work in?

I have been retired from UPS since 2006.

Channahon,1989 can transfer,but he loses his senority to the buttom along with his other Seattle/Oregon co-workers.
There are no full time tranfers where you KEEP senority unless one bldg closes down and you move to a nearby existing bldg.

Tranfer list??? 24 hrs to accept or decline????

Traditionally,Ups laysoff Temps,new hires,and cover drivers in Jan.Why would UPS hire new bee Drivers in Jan?

I don't know how things are run on the west coast but on the east,if your granted a transfer,your treated like a rookie,buttom of the food chain(senority,pay,vacation,etc..)

1989 said:
"covering routes is much more fun than doing the same thing day in and day out. come on, we all know that drivers are the crabbiest people on earth. Nearly everyday you can hear a driver YELLING about an extra 10 stops or a misload. I just think we should keep it professional."

Channahon,what sane UPS driver talks like this?
Sounds more like IE than a driver.

UPS LIFER said:
It sounds to me like you need to be challenged! You should go into mgmt and train new drivers to be just like you. Think about it! You could go from center to center training drivers on new routes without ever losing seniority! You might even become the foremost district driver trainer showing these rookies how to make the job "easy". You could even train supervisors too!
You should think about it!!!

I hope to God your being sarcastic(Lifer)

ChannahonQuote:
Originally Posted by 1989
Full time driver

I wasn't aware that UPS afforded that opportunity to full time drivers. I thought transfers were only for educational purposes for part time employees.

Something unique to the Region your work in?

I have been retired from UPS since 2006.

Channahon,1989 can transfer,but he loses his senority to the buttom along with his other Seattle/Oregon co-workers.
There are no full time tranfers where you KEEP senority unless one bldg closes down and you move to a nearby existing bldg.

Tranfer list??? 24 hrs to accept or decline????

Traditionally,Ups laysoff Temps,new hires,and cover drivers in Jan.Why would UPS hire new bee Drivers in Jan?

I don't know how things are run on the west coast but on the east,if your granted a transfer,your treated like a rookie,buttom of the food chain(senority,pay,vacation,etc..)

1989 said:
"covering routes is much more fun than doing the same thing day in and day out. come on, we all know that drivers are the crabbiest people on earth. Nearly everyday you can hear a driver YELLING about an extra 10 stops or a misload. I just think we should keep it professional."

Channahon,what sane UPS driver talks like this?
Sounds more like IE than a driver.

UPS LIFER said:
It sounds to me like you need to be challenged! You should go into mgmt and train new drivers to be just like you. Think about it! You could go from center to center training drivers on new routes without ever losing seniority! You might even become the foremost district driver trainer showing these rookies how to make the job "easy". You could even train supervisors too!
You should think about it!!!

I hope to God your being sarcastic(Lifer)

Yes, I did end up at the bottom of the center seniority list. But kept pay,(pay rate in new center, I think it was 26 cents less) vacation, pension, etc. In my new center they had 4 retirees, and nobody in the hub wanting to drive. I started in February 2006 and was laid off 2 days. Now I'm about 10th from the bottom. Why is that hard to understand?

Yes, I went to the bottom of the center seniority list. But kept pay rate, (pay rate in new center, I think it was 26 cents less) vacation, pension, etc. My new center had 4 retirees. I started in February 2006 and was laid off 2 times. Now I'm about 10 from the bottom. This is my 12 year driving and I love covering routes.

UPS Lifer

UPS Lifer, It seems you have a very positive outlook on your career and life at UPS. I have found in my own life, that at times it is easier to dwell on the negative than positive. Interesting, I remember reading an article on people that have lived to be a hundred. They asked them, What was your secret in living so long? The answer wasn't exercising,dieting,yoga,etc, etc. It was always keeping a positive attitude, having forgiveness(not holding grudges) and moving on. The stress that is produced from not having these attributes(for use of a better word) that are mentioned is the sure killer. Have your ever seen someone that is 30 but looks like 50, stress,anger, bitterness,hatred, etc, etc. has alot to do with it, but it dosent have to be.

Area 43,
VERY keen observation!
You have hit on the secret to life! Hopefully it is not a secret.

UPS Lifer

from 1989, Yes, I did end up at the bottom of the center seniority list. But kept pay,(pay rate in new center, I think it was 26 cents less) vacation, pension, etc. In my new center they had 4 retirees, and nobody in the hub wanting to drive. I started in February 2006 and was laid off 2 days. Now I'm about 10th from the bottom. Why is that hard to understand?

I was not really being sarcastic...I just used that tone....Here is my point, "1989", assuming you are that good you should help others and share the methods that have helped you become proficient. One of the truely great things we can do is to help others.

I was not really being sarcastic...I just used that tone....Here is my point, "1989", assuming you are that good you should help others and share the methods that have helped you become proficient. One of the truely great things we can do is to help others.

I do help other drivers just about everyday...I took about 30 stops off two drivers today. In my old center it was usually the same 5 or 6 drivers needing help....They just got lazier.

UPS Lifer

I do help other drivers just about everyday...I took about 30 stops off two drivers today. In my old center it was usually the same 5 or 6 drivers needing help....They just got lazier.

That is not what I mean by helping...You have a certain skill level that has been reached by very few. you may be able to show others how to reach that skill level. In that way...you help them by making the job easier.

brownboss

Brownblood
"lifer" i have a ? ive never driven a day in my life....i hear from some that its the easiest thing n the world ...i hear from others that its the hardest...is this something that one would have to find out out for themselves?...1 of the main fears im told is rookie drivers struggling 2find stops, using the diad, searching 4packages in the back, and 4me it would be doin those things plus im new to driving a standard....im told that there slowly but surely converting to automatics...half of our hub is autos now...im also told its better to drive strictly saturdays for awhile to get a feel for it..to see if indeed its somthing you can handle.

UPS Lifer

Brownboss,
You hit it on the head. It is something you personally have to experience. Make sure you get the training you need and that the workload is progressive. Ask the center tream what their training plan is for you. While you are in probation the center team should keep you in the same area, preferably a training route and add progressively add work. If you seem to handle it well, they may want to challange you by switching areas. make sure the OR supervisor goes with you the 1st day if they put you on a new route.

The key to the training phase of probation is to continue to improve your methods and cement those skills as well as getting you familiar with a particular area. Depending on the center, (number of drivers and geographic area) there are different approaches to develop the skills inventory of the utility drivers. Some centers get you familiar with a type of route; eg. residential - commercial - retail - business parks. Other centers train drivers in geographic areas of a center to get you more familar with drivers routes and street layout in a particular set of zips and some centers use a combination of those techniques as well as leying in on the drivers skill set.

Last edited:

area43

1989, my advice to you. Dude! dont you know all crap rolls down hill. Stay Put, get some senority and you wont have to worry about us(lazy drivers).lol

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
hmmmm wow....i really had no idea that my "grammer" or lack there of used in these post would offend so many ppl....i also didnt know realize that my questions about mgmt in "here" was the same as a resume...my God i feel like i was secretly talkin to Mike Eskew and is buddies in here..i guess i have to realize what type of ppl im dealing w in here so umm..anyhow...since "upslifer" seemed to be the only one to attempt to answer my ?....heres the deal...i do in fact want to go from pt to ft in mgmt...u said theres no turning back once you do?..as far as getting back into the union?...ive seen otherwise....ive seen managers get back in the union and become drivers...im told it just takes extra longer...you go literally to the bottom of the list...but im not concerned with that...my main reason for wanting to get into managment is bc i dont wanna drive..so to answer your question yes iam willing to be flexible w my hours...im willing to do whatever i just kinda wanted an idea if it would be a good idea...a "center manager" is actually the position im eventually wanting to get..theres so many ppl in our hub that say its a negative being in managment...also does anyone know what percentage they pay you versus how much u make as an hourly when u do transition...
You my friend are looking at the money first when you should be looking in the mirror. Do you really think you have what it takes? Granted the bar has been lowered in recent years by GUY's with ugly TIES but being a mediocre boss is not what UPS needs. I have never been in managment but my opinion stems from the best managers/supervsiors I've ever had. First off not wanting to be a package driver even a short period of time will hurt you. Why? because anyone who wants to understand the business of what UPS does needs to know it's fundamentals. Loading,sorting, air driver, drivers, clerks etc. are part of the big picture. If you skip this part you miss out on the basics and I personaly don't give most non-drive time management much credit for thier company views. I find them to be a bunch of number crunchers with no concept of what it takes to lead/dispatch a center. As a driver you will gain great experience as much as a college degree which I also recommend you go after. The combination of education and WORK experiance will help you learn how to be a leader and a good boss. As for the money it will come when you make it there 100K plus but the way you framed your original question makes me fear for the future of this company.

1989, my advice to you. Dude! dont you know all crap rolls down hill. Stay Put, get some senority and you wont have to worry about us(lazy drivers).lol

area43, You got me wrong, I enjoy helping. I enjoy going to new areas. (I've got a pretty good rapore, I can do just about anything I want) I don't have to help if I don't want. I just feel bad for some drivers. Last week a guy missed 3 days in a row. At 6:30 I took 3/4 of the work he had left two of those days. And he was still missing pkgs. Besides how much is enough senority? I'll be tranfering within 5 to 10 years. I'm a realist, I can't do this job another 40 years. lol

area43

I did about 80 or 90 routes in Seattle. I won 2 bids on routes there. Only have transfered once. Here I only do 7, but hopefully a new on tomorrow. covering routes is much more fun than doing the same thing day in and day out. come on, we all know that drivers are the crabbiest people on earth. Nearly everyday you can hear a driver YELLING about an extra 10 stops or a misload. I just think we should keep it professional.
Good rapore,go back and reread your posts, hmmm, drivers are the crabbiest people on the earth. My response, the customers love us. You come a cross as a little cocky(bragging), 90 routes,driving is the easiest job at UPS(#26 permalink/if its so easy why not go 50 yrs and learn 200 routes and then ck yourself into an insane asylum ),accusations of lazy drivers(their not here to defend themselves). Far as senority, everyone has to pay their dues per say. If you stay in one place long enough you might get your own run. Cover driving will get old, but I will say you seem to be highly motivated which Ill give you credit on. If you want to work at that pace, be humble.

Last edited: