Making UPS a career?

Browndriver5

Yea because why would anyone want to make 90K a year to drive around and deliver packages all day? LOL. This job is so easy it's stupid. It's monotonous and at times tiring, by no means is it difficult in the least. Anyone that struggles with it is mentally weak. End of story

That being said if they were to implement a two tier wage system or make the wait for full rate something even more ridiculous than it already is, I would not recommend this job to anyone. I myself would not be willing to do it, for a penny less than what we are paid. Anyone that says or thinks we are overpaid is CLUELESS. We have no life doing this job. It takes up way to much of your time. It's not a normal job. The pay is the trade off. And that is a trade off I am willing to make. I just took delivery of my new car yesterday. 2016 Audi a5. Nice little toy. Work hard, play hard

I'm assuming you never cover drove. Or maybe I'm the only one who struggles with getting lost. Lol

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I'm assuming you never cover drove. Or maybe I'm the only one who struggles with getting lost. Lol

Cover driving is different. Like I told you in another thread, once you get your own route the job becomes everything Maninbrown said: easy, monotonous, tiring at times, but still plain easy. Ever since I hit top scale and got my own route I actually look forward to coming to work everyday now. I haven't paid a cent (besides $50 yearly deductible) for mine or my son's health care which easily topped over 5K last year. Yes the hours are long but the pay and excellent benefits make up for it. Plus like the OP said, no college required. Hard work to get here, but worth it IMO.

ChrisTheBrown

Nice story, know lots of folks who have made a budget and made the decision to know where their money is going instead of living in a debt filled mess, Dave has truly helped a lot of people. I'm happy to hear your accomplishment of getting debt free and choosing to live within your means while controlling your money instead of your money controlling you! Congrats dude that's awesome!
Not completely debt free yet, just have about $4K in student loans, & then I'll be officially debt free! Expecting to have those gone by the start of summer. So thankful that I only went to school for a couple semesters PT (5 years ago) & am now deciding to stay with UPS for a career. Truly blessed. Not many people can receive this opportunity, & I make the effort to remind myself of that every day, while out there driving that pkg car.

ManInBrown

Cover driving or having your own route makes no difference. It was stupid easy then, and it's stupid easy now. They prey on the mentally weak. MAN UP

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Cover driving or having your own route makes no difference. It was stupid easy then, and it's stupid easy now. They prey on the mentally weak. MAN UP
Totally disagree. There is nothing similar in being on a route you know like the back of your hand every day vs being put on a different blind route 5 times in one week. One you can go on autopilot, the other you might possibly do 7 stops per hour from being in the hills in the dark in an endless abyss of dead end streets. I do not miss the days of the latter. Maybe you don't mind that situation but I sure wasn't fond of it.

ManInBrown

Totally disagree. There is nothing similar in being on a route you know like the back of your hand every day vs being put on a different blind route 5 times in one week. One you can go on autopilot, the other you might possibly do 7 stops per hour from being in the hills in the dark in an endless abyss of dead end streets. I do not miss the days of the latter. Maybe you don't mind that situation but I sure wasn't fond of it.
I never really had that attitude but I do understand where some come from. You feed me a :censored2:sandwich, and you'll have a :censored2:sandwich on your reports the next day.

HardknocksUPSer

Not completely debt free yet, just have about $4K in student loans, & then I'll be officially debt free! Expecting to have those gone by the start of summer. So thankful that I only went to school for a couple semesters PT (5 years ago) & am now deciding to stay with UPS for a career. Truly blessed. Not many people can receive this opportunity, & I make the effort to remind myself of that every day, while out there driving that pkg car.
Nice! Happy for you dude. I'm young but understand the importance of staying debt free to reduce stress level and keeping yourself from being a slave to your job without a meaning. It's sad to see some of my co-workers who CANT miss a day because they are living above their means and choosing to use their money in a wrong way. Your right, UPS is a great opportunity with great benefits, especially if you save money and choose to live a content lifestyle based on family, friends, happiness, health, nature and other priceless things in this beautiful life. UPS isn't my top priority in life, it's important while I'm there but once I'm gone I want to focus on life and enjoy things that REALLY mean something to me, priceless things mean the most.

Browndriver5

Cover driving is different. Like I told you in another thread, once you get your own route the job becomes everything Maninbrown said: easy, monotonous, tiring at times, but still plain easy. Ever since I hit top scale and got my own route I actually look forward to coming to work everyday now. I haven't paid a cent (besides $50 yearly deductible) for mine or my son's health care which easily topped over 5K last year. Yes the hours are long but the pay and excellent benefits make up for it. Plus like the OP said, no college required. Hard work to get here, but worth it IMO.

Once I run a route 3x I'm good but the first time it's a 11-12 hour day.

Browndriver5

Some people at UPS are on ego trips and never struggled one day on a blind route.

Gear

Parts on Order
Find am employer that doesn't constantly search for ways to fire you. Or one that sends you out to do your job then jumps into their personal vehicle and spies on you while you're working...you know, so they can use that against you to fire you. UPS is the worst employer in the world. The managers are horrible, the technology they use endangers the drivers, the work load goes up more and more each day, and about 1000 other negative things.

Don't let these drivers tell you that you're going to make $100k a year and get free insurance. You're gonna make 100k a year if you work from 830am and lunch out around 830pm Monday thru Friday. :censored2: this place. And when you order stuff, have USPS or FedEx deliver it to you

Did anyone ever tell you working at UPS is like being in the military? Ive been told that, and people still say it. Im still waiting for the part thats like the military. I dont think the guys who say this were in the military.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did anyone ever tell you working at UPS is like being in the military? Ive been told that, and people still say it. Im still waiting for the part thats like the military. I dont think the guys who say this were in the military.

I was 8 years active duty and there are many similarities between the two.

Holydriver

The military is about 1000% better than UPS. I've been there and done that.

Holydriver

I was 8 years active duty and there are many similarities between the two.
Yea, like what? You have to show up to work? You get vacation and health care? They pay you? What else? Becasue I'm looking back and not really seeing many more similarities.

I'm sure private Joe Snuffy isn't walking around on presence patrol with a 1SG a block away spying on him making sure he is doing it right....

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The military is about 1000% better than UPS. I've been there and done that.
You sound very miserable at ups. Why would you stay if you're miserable on the level you're portraying?

I mean I'm aware ups an be difficult at times in your career. But man, you sound like they've messed up so bad that you're going to lose it.