Making UPS a career?

Career? I've worked at ups 27 years, and I still don't know what I wanna do when I grow up. For most of us UPS just happened. The job we had while attending school. For me UPS was my back up plan.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
55 does sound crazy. I average 47.5-50 per week, which I like. Just enough OT for me, but not a crazy amount.

There's drivers in my center that max out the full 63.35 paid hours every week. If they don't max out mon-fri they'll come in and drive Saturday. I live in the Bay Area, so that's what a lot of people need to do in order to afford market-rate housing and still have enough money to have a life.

50 - 55 hours is my wheelhouse. Nobody works under 50 in my center, and if they do they'll just get more work added to their route.

JL 0513

There's drivers in my center that max out the full 63.35 paid hours every week. If they don't max out mon-fri they'll come in and drive Saturday. I live in the Bay Area, so that's what a lot of people need to do in order to afford market-rate housing and still have enough money to have a life.

50 - 55 hours is my wheelhouse. Nobody works under 50 in my center, and if they do they'll just get more work added to their route.

Too bad it's against the law to work over 60.

baklava

Too bad it's against the law to work over 60.

Ah yes, I made this all up, you caught me.

60 service hours, 63.35 PAID hours. We get two paid 15 min breaks per day, an extra 10 min for working over 10 hours.

.67 (40 mins) x 5 = 3.35, plus the 60 service hours is 63.35

Still don't believe me? Ask some feeder drivers, they know all about it.

JL 0513

Ah yes, I made this all up, you caught me.

60 service hours, 63.35 PAID hours. We get two paid 15 min breaks per day, an extra 10 min for working over 10 hours.

.67 (40 mins) x 5 = 3.35, plus the 60 service hours is 63.35

Still don't believe me? Ask some feeder drivers, they know all about it.

Wasn't aware we are adding in all breaks and time bonuses now. Should we add our commute time to and from work as another job complaint?

As for even working 60, these centers are being run very poorly. I've only worked up to 59 on a couple of weeks and that was the week before Christmas when working Saturday was included.

baklava

Wasn't aware we are adding in all breaks and time bonuses now. Should we add our commute time to and from work as another job complaint?

That's the DOT law, 60 service hours. Paid breaks are not service hours. We have drivers spend every minute they can on the clock because they need/want the money.

Not complaining here, I don't even know where you got that from. I'm stating some facts and you seem to not believe me or have a problem with what I'm saying.

Yes my center is run poorly and the preload is an absolute joke.

ManInBrown

What's it like living in the bay area doing this job? I live in a very expensive state also but not Bay Area expensive. That's basically as expensive as it gets. Do you live on the outskirts or can you afford a nice place closer to the city? I really enjoyed visiting San Fran the one trip I took years ago.

JL 0513

By better you mean better paying.

Perhaps. Personally, I enjoy being paid a lot and not have to think a lot or have broad responsibility. Some people like to have to think about complicated matters and such. I wouldn't want to have a ton of responsibilities on my plate.

I drive around all day listening to the radio, getting fresh air, and walking pkgs to porches. The only responsibility being getting air and business on time and not getting into an accident.

Depends on what you want. IMO, there's nothing fun about engineering or managerial work or whatever. It's all work.

baklava

What's it like living in the bay area doing this job? I live in a very expensive state also but not Bay Area expensive. That's basically as expensive as it gets. Do you live on the outskirts or can you afford a nice place closer to the city? I really enjoyed visiting San Fran the one trip I took years ago.

It's still considered a good job with good pay, it's just what you can get for your money. SF is beyond astronomical, the peninsula and San Jose areas are extremely expensive as well.

I drive in SF but I chose to buy a house in the East Bay (basically Oakland suburbs) and commute to work. My 3 bed, 1 bath 1000 sq ft fixer-upper cost $400K, and I was lucky to get it. It would have easily been $600K in the peninsula and even more in the city.

I'll deal with the morning commute to not be house-poor. My hours are long so I have no traffic on the way home.

With all the Chinese investors and techies paying cash, it's extremely hard to buy a house out here...renting is scary because the rates have been soaring.

ManInBrown

It's still considered a good job with good pay, it's just what you can get for your money. SF is beyond astronomical, the peninsula and San Jose areas are extremely expensive as well.

I drive in SF but I chose to buy a house in the East Bay (basically Oakland suburbs) and commute to work. My 3 bed, 1 bath 1000 sq ft fixer-upper cost $400K, and I was lucky to get it. It would have easily been $600K in the peninsula and even more in the city.

I'll deal with the morning commute to not be house-poor. My hours are long so I have no traffic on the way home.

With all the Chinese investors and techies paying cash, it's extremely hard to buy a house out here...renting is scary because the rates have been soaring.
Wow. 1000 sq ft fixer upper for 400K. That's crazy. Like I said where I am its probably the 2nd or 3rd most expensive area to live in the country but that's just crazy. The one difference between where you live and I live, is that you actually get something for your money. A beautiful place to live in a beautiful area. I get nothing but crooked politicians and industrial smokestacks.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy

Pay $2200 for a townhouse in Campbell...its value is like $500,000....that's absolutely disgusting to think about...don't even have a backyard

JL 0513

I've hit 60 numerous times they've made me sit passenger and have someone else drive me

Pathetic. Lousy local management.

UPS saves money by forcing moderate overtime and reducing drivers. But once you start regularly paying 15-20 hrs OT to each driver, the math makes no sense.

JL 0513

Pay $2200 for a townhouse in Campbell...its value is like $500,000....that's absolutely disgusting to think about...don't even have a backyard

Good 'ol supply and demand when it comes to real estate. Location, location, location. People can complain all they want about prices. If people keep buying to be in a certain location, the prices will reflect that.

Savvy412

If I lived on the westcoast this job would be nothing. To the people who live in nice sunny states. friend YOU!!!

we have to do what you do in blizzards and -0 weather. its the worst. Winters I wake up so gosh darn miserable while putting my under armor on. Summers, I wake up..the sun is out and im almost "excited"? to go slang some boxes.

Maybe that would get old if you live in that all the time..