mall walker - store didn't receive package

atdi198d

im a part time walker working in a mall. been there for a year and few months. i'm extremely careful with almost no mistakes.
a store said they are missing a package which they had signed for. it was a customer order which consists of 2 pairs of shoes.
she said someone signed for them on the 29th of december, and the one that is missing was supposedly shipped on the 5th of january.
how can someone sign for the package before it was even shipped? the only thing i can think of is maybe they used the same tracking label for 2 packages so its screwing up the tracking. can anyone shed some light onto this?

also, this is the second time this store has lost a package and called UPS. ofcourse i get a paper saying i have to get them to sign saying they got the package or they didnt get the package. the first time they didnt sign it, and turns up they found it a month afterwards mixed in with their damages.

this time around, if i get a paper saying the same thing, and they sign it saying they didnt receive it, do i get in trouble? what happens from there?
i really dont understand how the customer loses the package, and somehow its my fault?
i check all packages, count them all, drop em off, make sure they count them, and double check on my diad that it says the same.
not to sound full of myself, but i'm very careful and i know that the mistake was probably not on my part.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If the tracking number shows a signature for the pkg you are off the hook. Does the driver follow up paper show the pkg delivered or show it shipped on a certain date and not delivered?

NYdriver

someone signed for them on the 29th of december, and the one that is missing was supposedly shipped on the 5th of january

The only way this can happen is an internal error from the shipper or a dup label. I have never had this happen, but you shoould be in the clear considering when they sign they are acknowledging recipet of the pieces that were deliverd.

I once had a retail delivery in which a sig was required. Customer signs, left it outside and "somehow" it disapeared. UPS did not cover the claim because there was no wrong doing on my part.

atdi198d

sorry i could have worded that better. i havent received a driver follow up yet. im going to talk to the manager of the store tomorrow before she contacts UPS. just wanted to find out as much info as i can about it before she calls. i'm a little paranoid since every driver tells me they try to pin stuff to the walkers. i'm hired on permanently, have seniority and benefits too now.

she said when she tracked it, it says it was signed for. but she cant find the package. but like it said, its weird cause it said he signed for in on dec 29th, and the store shipped it on jan 5th(i dont know if UPS said it was the 5th, or if the store said it was the 5th). so apparently he signed for it before he received it, which doesnt make sense.
any suggestions on what i can say to the manager? any suggestions on what i can say to my supervisor incase i do get a driver follow up?

atdi198d

sorry i could have worded that better. i havent received a driver follow up yet. im going to talk to the manager of the store tomorrow before she contacts UPS. just wanted to find out as much info as i can about it before she calls. i'm a little paranoid since every driver tells me they try to pin stuff to the walkers. i'm hired on permanently, have seniority and benefits too now.

she said when she tracked it, it says it was signed for. but she cant find the package. but like it said, its weird cause it said he signed for in on dec 29th, and the store shipped it on jan 5th(i dont know if UPS said it was the 5th, or if the store said it was the 5th). so apparently he signed for it before he received it, which doesnt make sense.
any suggestions on what i can say to the manager? any suggestions on what i can say to my supervisor incase i do get a driver follow up?

atdi198d

The only way this can happen is an internal error from the shipper or a dup label. I have never had this happen, but you shoould be in the clear considering when they sign they are acknowledging recipet of the pieces that were deliverd.

I once had a retail delivery in which a sig was required. Customer signs, left it outside and "somehow" it disapeared. UPS did not cover the claim because there was no wrong doing on my part.

sounds pretty good. puts my mind to ease a bit. i stress too much.
offtopic, but my driver sometimes misses scans in the mall, so i get driver follow-ups with my name on it...
very irritating.

atdi198d

i forgot to mention too, the person who signed for it also quit a few days ago because he went back to school...
but hes been with the company for 5 years, working at different locations.
could this be a problem?

NYdriver

Not your problem. By signing she acknowleges the packages were delivered. If the package wasn't there, it should have been addressed at the time of delivery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is much easier to get a positive on a DFU that has a signature from a store employee. You sound like a very conscientious employee and if you used the same level of care while making this delivery you should have nothing to worry about.

rocket man

im a part time walker working in a mall. been there for a year and few months. i'm extremely careful with almost no mistakes.
a store said they are missing a package which they had signed for. it was a customer order which consists of 2 pairs of shoes.
she said someone signed for them on the 29th of december, and the one that is missing was supposedly shipped on the 5th of january.
how can someone sign for the package before it was even shipped? the only thing i can think of is maybe they used the same tracking label for 2 packages so its screwing up the tracking. can anyone shed some light onto this?

also, this is the second time this store has lost a package and called UPS. ofcourse i get a paper saying i have to get them to sign saying they got the package or they didnt get the package. the first time they didnt sign it, and turns up they found it a month afterwards mixed in with their damages.

this time around, if i get a paper saying the same thing, and they sign it saying they didnt receive it, do i get in trouble? what happens from there?
i really dont understand how the customer loses the package, and somehow its my fault?
i check all packages, count them all, drop em off, make sure they count them, and double check on my diad that it says the same.
not to sound full of myself, but i'm very careful and i know that the mistake was probably not on my part.
the paper you are talking about is a driver follow up they sign they got it or didnt if they dont sign in 3 attempts its a done deal you will be fine. worrie about somthng more important

AssistantSanta

The board does allow packages to be added after signature is gathered and stop completed later. There was a thread discussing this. There are ten items meant for the consignee. 8 packages are scanned, then presented to customer. Obtains signature, then the remaining two cleverly hidden among sendagains are scanned in and after the signature is gathered and stop completed. In the system it would appear that the cosignee "signed" for all ten.

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/when-do-you-stop-complete-301481/index5.html#post677950

From security point, it isn't the best idea that packages can be ADDED between gathering signature and pushing the SC key. Imagine a retail point-of-sale terminal that lets the bartender add drinks on your tab between the time you sign the signature pad and "transaction complete" is pushed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The board does allow packages to be added after signature is gathered and stop completed later. There was a thread discussing this. There are ten items meant for the consignee. 8 packages are scanned, then presented to customer. Obtains signature, then the remaining two cleverly hidden among sendagains are scanned in and after the signature is gathered and stop completed. In the system it would appear that the cosignee "signed" for all ten.

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/when-do-you-stop-complete-301481/index5.html#post677950

From security point, it isn't the best idea that packages can be ADDED between gathering signature and pushing the SC key. Imagine a retail point-of-sale terminal that lets the bartender add drinks on your tab between the time you sign the signature pad and "transaction complete" is pushed.

I wonder if this is why Gamestop employees sign the DIAD and then put the number of pkgs received next to their signature.

atdi198d

yes i am a permanent part time helper. it'll be another year and a few months until i become a driver. i want to get the walker top rate first, and i have to wait anyway(i'm saving for a car + a years worth of insurance).

so i spoke to the manager today from that store. she explained it wrong to me the first time. one package was received on the 29th of dec (the first part of the order), and the second was delivered on the 6th of jan. the second one is the one she cannot find, and the employee who had signed for it, quit a few days afterwards. both packages were signed for and successfully delivered, she just cannot find the second order in her store.
shes going to call the employee to see if he knows anything, but i doubt he'd have anything to contribute. its been a week, hes not going to remember every package and every pair of shoes he sees.

but i guess i'll be ok anyway if i get a follow up and she doesnt sign it.
tracking it shows that it was in fact delivered.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hmmm,is it me that only has an issue with this job classification. Now if your a part time air driver going through the mall delivering nda..that's one thing. If your a part time driver delivering ground how is that ok. Atdi, please tell us,more about this position and where in the country you deliver...how much does this position make. I have never heard of a mall walker, only air walker in metro cities.please tell us more including if your the only walker in the center or are there others....thanks

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I wonder if this is why Gamestop employees sign the DIAD and then put the number of pkgs received next to their signature.

many employees do this on myroute...I think it makes tbem feel better if something ends up missing but in actuality it probably doesn't mean squat.

atdi198d

Hmmm,is it me that only has an issue with this job classification. Now if your a part time air driver going through the mall delivering nda..that's one thing. If your a part time driver delivering ground how is that ok. Atdi, please tell us,more about this position and where in the country you deliver...how much does this position make. I have never heard of a mall walker, only air walker in metro cities.please tell us more including if your the only walker in the center or are there others....thanks

i dont even know much about my position to be honest. i got my union book after a year...shows how much they care about walkers, lol.

so my title is officially called a walker or driver helper. they usually dont keep them for long, i lucked out because i got a mall thats somewhat busy. i'm also very careful, so i have little to no mistakes.

i started out at minimum, then 10.75 at seniority, and im currently at 11.25 at 12 months. 24 months will be 11.75, and 30 months is 19.50 or something. i live in canada, and i dont know how many walkers or driver helpers there are because i dont go down to the hub. i meet up with a driver at the mall.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
i dont even know much about my position to be honest. i got my union book after a year...shows how much they care about walkers, lol.

so my title is officially called a walker or driver helper. they usually dont keep them for long, i lucked out because i got a mall thats somewhat busy. i'm also very careful, so i have little to no mistakes.

i started out at minimum, then 10.75 at seniority, and im currently at 11.25 at 12 months. 24 months will be 11.75, and 30 months is 19.50 or something. i live in canada, and i dont know how many walkers or driver helpers there are because i dont go down to the hub. i meet up with a driver at the mall.

Ok.....I stopped reading when I saw Canada....good luck when you go fulltime.