Man backed into my husband's UPS truck while parked

brownwife

Hi all, I am the constantly frazzled wife of a UPS driver. He has been with UPS for over 20 years, driving for 13. The past few years (especially since the new "pass" or whatever system) I have wished he was a cop - less stress on me!

The issue today is that a man in an apartment complex backed into my husband's truck and cracked his tail light. He told my husband it was okay and went inside, but my husband called it in anyways. A supervisor told him that it was going to be considered his fault and an accident. My husband called all stressed out, will be super late (again) and is basically frazzled himself.

One, I don't understand how this supervisor could say this to him. Two, I'm at my wits end with this company. If it's not some supervisor or manager holding his job over his head for every extra half step he takes to a door, it's him working an ungodly amount of hours (like it's peak season in July.)

I do not take for granted that he has a job. I accept that every job has its downsides. But I have never known a company to have such irrational and careless management.

It looks like it's going to be yet another night of worrying that he will be jobless b/c of something he didn't do. Pardon me, but it really pisses me off because the man is such a damn hard worker. It really does.

Thanks for the rant.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First off, if you are not a troll, welcome.

Secondly, your hubby has no reason to be in a frazzle over this minor incedent, unless he has had a bunch of other accidents in the past.

Out side of the time it took to cover his butt by calling it in and having it investigated and documented by the police, he is out nothing.

Now, this is what you can do. Cook him something special tonight for supper instead of posting here. It will take your mind off the accident, and will make him feel better as well.

It will all be better in the morning.

d

over9five

Staff member
The supervisor told him the accident was avoidable. It was not his fault. There is a difference.

It should be nothing to worry about, happens all the time. Your hubby knows this, he's been driving for 13 years.

beentheredonethat

Now, this is what you can do. Cook him something special tonight for supper instead of posting here. It will take your mind off the accident, and will make him feel better as well.

Danny, while I don't disagree with you. I was thinking of something else she could do to make him feel better. :wink2:

cino321

Accidents happen. Your husband has nothing to worry about. His job is not on the line. As a matter of fact, I can guarantee you even if he backed into this car he still wouldn't have anything to worry about.

UPS deems accidents as either avoidable or unavoidable. Was the accident avoidable? Most likely, but it's not necessary his fault, kind of a wrong place wrong time situation. All that's going to happen is that he's most likely going to have to go to a safety class that he'll get paid for and probably recite some meaningless safety dribble. Then a supervisor will go out on the road with him to make sure he's driving safely and following all the methods. That's it. Nothing to stress over at all. Remember, part of UPS's management style is to pass on the responsibility of a problem to create the illusion that you could of prevented it before it happened.

Perhaps you should talk to your husband and teach him not to worry about these things so much. He shouldn't have to stress over his job as long as he's doing it correctly, he has been there long enough to know that.

Personally, I try not to bring work home, my significant other doesn't have any idea about what goes on at work besides a few humorous anecdotes that I share with her every once in awhile and I try very hard to keep it that way. It leads to a much healthier relationship.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The supervisor told him the accident was avoidable. It was not his fault. There is a difference.
It should be nothing to worry about, happens all the time.

This is the backwards mindset of how this company operates. They will blame the driver first. We had a similar accident like this last week. Our driver was in an apartment complex stopping the package car to make a delivery. He sees someone getting in their car, so he stopped far enough back to leave the guy enough room to back out of the parking spot. The guy backs back too far and hits the package car anyway. So UPS charges the Package Driver with the accident. They figure it was his fault for not anticipating the other driver would back out that far. If a UPS employee goes to work and clocks in, he will probably be blamed for anything that goes wrong, whether its his fault or not. Thats just the way it is, so don't worry about it.

brownwife

It'll take more than dinner, I'm sure, to get him out of his mood. I dont' think that's what was meant by "taking one for the team" though.....

Regardless, I got more info and the main reason he's sweating it is b/c the pass system has him taking the first of two drives into this u-shaped apartment drive/parking lot. So when he pulled in, he had two choices: park on the right side right before the bend which was directly in back of the parking spots and parked cars, or block the cars that were parked on the lefthand side. He was told in a pcm a month ago to block cars in if possible - not to leave the possibility of somebody backing into you. The problem came to happen when a car that wasn't there when he parked and went inside parked in front of his package car and then backed into him when leaving the spot. He's in trouble for a parked car that wasn't parked there when he parked his truck.

I swear that an interview question for driver supervisors is "Do you lack common sense?" If they say "yes", they are hired on the spot.

I'm no troll. Just a po'ed, pass system driver "widow".

brownwife

Thank you, cino321. I am going to have my husband read your post. And he is getting dinner *and* dessert tonight. Now his job is to stfu about work. lol jk!

cino321

Brownwife, honestly even if it was his fault, who cares, his job is not on the line unless he's had several accidents this year. These things happen, his supervisor/manager will get over it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Danny, while I don't disagree with you. I was thinking of something else she could do to make him feel better. :wink2:
Typical Male j/k and true

Fix his broken tail light?
The common sense one

That's what I thought he meant.
So suave

a little duct tape should do it.:happy-very:
If it cant be fixed with hammer and duct tape, its doomed.

My position is, dont fret. Let him handle it, as a wife (not a drivers wife, but) as a driver who used to fret, dont. It does him no good, or you. You cannot change the outcome, by worrying. And it will be fine. When I got hit while parked at a red light, I was hit while parked by a person who slid on the ice. Yes it was avoidable, I could have stayed home. It will be fine.

M

Mike23

This is the backwards mindset of how this company operates. They will blame the driver first. We had a similar accident like this last week. Our driver was in an apartment complex stopping the package car to make a delivery. He sees someone getting in their car, so he stopped far enough back to leave the guy enough room to back out of the parking spot. The guy backs back too far and hits the package car anyway. So UPS charges the Package Driver with the accident. They figure it was his fault for not anticipating the other driver would back out that far. If a UPS employee goes to work and clocks in, he will probably be blamed for anything that goes wrong, whether its his fault or not. Thats just the way it is, so don't worry about it.
GRIEVE IT! If he left 1 car length he abides by their messed up rules. At least that's what I'd do :D

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Maybe the driver/husband needs to re-think his wording when he tells the wife about what's going on. 1 person being all fired up over something that wasn't his fault is bad enough.