man, i quit as driver helper

iruhnman630

man, this was my second day working as driver helper. The load was heavy and crazy. i had three loads of 10 or so boxes in my first hour! I quit soon after. Man, i dont know how you guys do this. Well i dont think ill be working for ups again, its just not meant for me
I predict many uses of your username in your future years.

HomeDelivery

I bumped into a team of driver/helper... they kindly let me follow them into the locked buildings since they had keys... we chatted while going up/down the steps delivering to 3-level condo units.

the helper was getting paid $8.50 per hour & i thought it was closer to above $10 in the northeast; he nearly collapsed when I told him that you can be earning more driving for the purple team (non-CDL cargo vans) + time-&-1/2 for over 40 hours, which we are already doing... Too late now since the background check takes 2-3 weeks:whiteflag:

driver laughed when i said, All Good Kids Like Milk, while the helper was clueless...

have a good peak! I'm certainly getting paid better than what the subcontractors of FX-HD can offer me right now

robot

Has A Large Member
My last driver helper quit on me because my onroad sup made me throw him out in the rain/sleet with a rickshaw full of packages. I picked him up an hour later to find the rickshaw half off of soaking wet packages. The labels had become unscannable/unreadable. He promptly asked me to drop him off at his car.

I don't blame him. For 8.50 an hour?! Shiiiiiiit!

OptimusPrime

I bumped into a team of driver/helper... they kindly let me follow them into the locked buildings since they had keys... we chatted while going up/down the steps delivering to 3-level condo units.

the helper was getting paid $8.50 per hour & i thought it was closer to above $10 in the northeast; he nearly collapsed when I told him that you can be earning more driving for the purple team (non-CDL cargo vans) + time-&-1/2 for over 40 hours, which we are already doing... Too late now since the background check takes 2-3 weeks:whiteflag:

driver laughed when i said, All Good Kids Like Milk, while the helper was clueless...

have a good peak! I'm certainly getting paid better than what the subcontractors of FX-HD can offer me right now

Are all you guys out on parole or something? Just find it funny how UPS always has the keys/gate codes/passes whatever needs to be done for the delivery, and all I see at the locked doors are stickies from Fedex. Seems no one has much faith in you guys. Even if it is cheaper.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I bumped into a team of driver/helper... [the helper] nearly collapsed when I told him that you can be earning more driving for the purple team (non-CDL cargo vans) + time-&-1/2 for over 40 hours, which we are already doing... Too late now since the background check takes 2-3 weeks:whiteflag:

Yeah, but driving helping involves very little responsibility. The driver is responsible for finding, locating & pointing his/her helper to the house (they're responsible for the packages, not the helper). Nor does the helper care whether the driver will be able to complete his load that evening. Of course, management is telling drivers here they have to drop helpers off with a cart full of packages and then pick the helper up lately... makes sense in some areas here, but not most. Plus you don't really know what's in most packages... do you really trust your helper???

DorkHead

What`s really sad here is the fact he left his driver stuck without help for at least 2 hrs. One peak I had a helper for 2 days and on the third day he looked in the truck at the load and said "screw this". 4 hrs. later someone came to help.

HomeDelivery

that's the thing, Bagels... you are a loner when driving a small cargo van around for purple company HD or Ground...

30% of the temp drivers i've seen this year aren't that good to go solo, but it happens & claims/mis-deliveries are up due to them... as well as code 02/03s (incorrect address or unable to locate address). I use a GPS to help find them & to call the terminal if i'm really stuck before applying any of those codes. Some temps are just too lazy to look at the package for a phone # as well, so they put the code & I find them the next day with no problems:knockedout:

the pay is definitely better than being a package mule for a UPS driver/courier though, just not as good as the UPS temp drivers since you do FedEx Express/Ground/ & Home Delivery all rolled up into one package car.

DS

Fenderbender
It takes something special to be a ups driver.
Masochism? A desire to accomplish the impossible every day?
What makes a king out of a slave? What makes the flag on the mast to wave? What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? What makes the dawn come up like thunder? What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?

You can say that again.

UPSGUY72

My last driver helper quit on me because my onroad sup made me throw him out in the rain/sleet with a rickshaw full of packages. I picked him up an hour later to find the rickshaw half off of soaking wet packages. The labels had become unscannable/unreadable. He promptly asked me to drop him off at his car.

I don't blame him. For 8.50 an hour?! Shiiiiiiit!

This year before peak management gave us the big speech on how we needed to have the helpers working independently that as far as it got. I don't drop my helpers off and come back and pic them up later no matter what the weather is, I don't back track it's a waste of time. They are runners if there are two deliveries near each other I'll do one they can do the other. Otherwise I'm sorting the back and getting the packages ready for the next stops when they are delivering.

I also keep my help till I'm done for the day it both a waste of time going back to drop them off and who is the hell is going to come back to work when your telling them they only can work a couple of hours a day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The driver thinks, drives, sorts, plans, tries to keep 2 people busy when there is only work for one, listens to mgmnt complain that he and his helper arent productive enough, etc. All a helper does is listen to directions. If you quit as helper, good luck in whatever you choose to do.

rod

Retired 22 years
I can picture the OP posting another thread in a year or two wanting to know if he is qualified for a pension. It a tough (physically demanding) job for little pay so I'm actually surprised more helpers don't quit---especially after seeing their 1st check.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It takes something special to be a ups driver.
Masochism? A desire to accomplish the impossible every day?
What makes a king out of a slave? What makes the flag on the mast to wave? What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? What makes the dawn come up like thunder? What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?

You can say that again.

Really??

DorkHead

I can picture the OP posting another thread in a year or two wanting to know if he is qualified for a pension. It a tough (physically demanding) job for little pay so I'm actually surprised more helpers don't quit---especially after seeing their 1st check.

If you remember, they started out long ago making $6.50 per hour. I had a new helper every other day.

Indecisi0n

We are so short helpers it's not even funny. They had to start pulling some casuals off the road to use them as helpers which screws the drivers in that split.

Johney

Are all you guys out on parole or something? Just find it funny how UPS always has the keys/gate codes/passes whatever needs to be done for the delivery, and all I see at the locked doors are stickies from Fedex. Seems no one has much faith in you guys. Even if it is cheaper.
I can say this, the last two drivers that got fired in our center for stealing both drive for FedEx Ground.:biting:

Brain Genocide

I've been seeing a lot of hostility towards Helpers. Yeah - helpers are sort-of taking money from your paycheck, but if a driver reaches his/her 60 hours you're hosed and stuck with a crap load of undelivered packages. Some of us helpers are here to put food on the table and keep the roof over head. Sorry if some of you don't support that !! Yesterdays load was just amazing. I had to push a box back so we could open the cab sliding door, also in the back we had to hold boxes back from falling out. Think we counted 320 stops....whats that? 450 to 500 packages?? My driver is awesome, he'll call, give me a heads up, etc etc....
I'll bring Red Bull for us, a bottle od Advil. and let him know once I'm on the clock all that matters is out job. And we have fun...at least as much as one can.

Give new people a chance please. another reason we are here is because out last job didn't treat us nice either.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I can say this, the last two drivers that got fired in our center for stealing both drive for FedEx Ground.:biting:

We have a (preloader, and now seasonal) driver that got fired from FedEx Ground working in our building. FedEx Ground (not the contractor) had him terminated due to consumer complaints. Amazingly, management has him covering the SAME area he did with FedEx Ground -- disgruntled consumers and all.