man, i quit as driver helper

gingerkat

Okay so I'm a helper that has a rather difficult driver and I still really enjoy the job. I don't get why the amount of boxes was so difficult, unless they were all really heavy and you had to go up 60 or 70 steps each time. No offense but the amount you stated sounds a little slow to me.

This is my first time doing this job and I was a little sore my first week. I was bruised emotionally, but I kept going. I'm woman and never complain about the amount of work, the size or weight of a box, minus one 98lb. box that I said "no way can I do that one alone". I don't ask for any special privileges because of it, except that *handyman* keep his hands to himself.

I think people should give it a little more time before quitting, unless the work is just too hard, then by all means quit. I just think people should really think before taking this job, because it isn't fair to the driver. My neighborhood driver brought me a package last night and asked if I wanted to switch hubs because he was on his 4th helper. That sucks that he has to train again. Honestly for me, the business stops are much harder than residential, so if you're doing residential enjoy the small/medium amazon boxes vs. heavy xerox boxes.

Yes there really is a lot of hostility towards helpers, but not from everyone. With that said, this really isn't the place to talk about how hard the job is when these guys/gals do it year round by themselves.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Okay so I'm a helper that has a rather difficult driver and I still really enjoy the job. I don't get why the amount of boxes was so difficult, unless they were all really heavy and you had to go up 60 or 70 steps each time. No offense but the amount you stated sounds a little slow to me.

It sounds like the OP was being given a cart full of packages and being instructed to deliver them himself. This is what UPS wanted its drivers to do in my building this year.

But I don't blame many of the helpers who quit. Sure, many do so because of the physical nature of the job -- it's challenging for even the most fit people, since it's different workout than what they're use to -- and would rather work elsewhere for similar money. But from somebody who's worked with over 50 drivers in his career, I can say that some drivers are a-holes to work with. Long before telematics and GPS, I worked with a driver who insisted I run as fast as I could and take a dump in a DR bag if I had to go. We'd finish by 2-3PM and his 350 lb. frame would proceed to the all-you-can-eat buffet where he'd hang out until it was time to return to the building many hours later. If this was my first experience, I would've quit too....

Johney

We have a (preloader, and now seasonal) driver that got fired from FedEx Ground working in our building. FedEx Ground (not the contractor) had him terminated due to consumer complaints. Amazingly, management has him covering the SAME area he did with FedEx Ground -- disgruntled consumers and all.
That's a KMA moment if I ever seen it.

wayfair

swollen member
We'd finish by 2-3PM and his 350 lb. frame would proceed to the all-you-can-eat buffet where he'd hang out until it was time to return to the building many hours later.

we have over 200 PC drivers in our building... calling bs on the 350 lb

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
The driver thinks, drives, sorts, plans, tries to keep 2 people busy when there is only work for one, listens to mgmnt complain that he and his helper arent productive enough, etc. All a helper does is listen to directions. If you quit as helper, good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Sir...I like your style... carry on

BrutalxMurder

This is my 4th day of being a driver helper. I've already been through rain, heat, 560 packages and 310 stops in one day and 1 ******* driver that was cranky the whole day and took it out on me even though I was on point with everything. On days that I felt completely drained, I learned to suck it up and remember what my job title is. If we're not there to assist the driver, he'll easily drown in all of the Christmas packages. With that said, we are depended on. This job ain't for everyone. Drivers like helpers that can hustle and do the work in a timely manner. That's why they're keeping me around. I hope to work for UPS after the season is over :peaceful:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
There's some huge PC drivers here too. Is it the stress?

We had a (swing) PC driver who exceeded 400 lb. He was constantly on disability, and when he worked, there were only a few trucks he could fit behind the wheel. He eventually had his stomach stapled and looks pretty damn good today.

We also have a feeder driver that exceeds 400 lb. Our building's good sized, and he brings in the final load (a 28-footer, typically 50-75% full). I can unload the truck faster than he can waddle to the front of the building. Sad, but it's no BS UPS has some big guys working for it. Ironically, our current "biggest" driver beats his route by a good 2-hours each day. I jumped for him a few times, and briskly walking up a long driveway had him panting.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We had a (swing) PC driver who exceeded 400 lb. He was constantly on disability, and when he worked, there were only a few trucks he could fit behind the wheel. He eventually had his stomach stapled and looks pretty damn good today.

We also have a feeder driver that exceeds 400 lb. Our building's good sized, and he brings in the final load (a 28-footer, typically 50-75% full). I can unload the truck faster than he can waddle to the front of the building. Sad, but it's no BS UPS has some big guys working for it. Ironically, our current "biggest" driver beats his route by a good 2-hours each day. I jumped for him a few times, and briskly walking up a long driveway had him panting.

Jesus H. Christobal...why don't we just kill each other? Who cares what he weighs? Why do you care? He probably wonders why your woman is scrolling the neighborhood looking for a good man. Like they way it feels?

gingerkat

Agree with Dracula on the weight thing. I've seen some pretty "big" people move pretty damn fast. The day someone puts me on a scale or looks at my age and says I can't do something is the day someone is going to get a sharp stick in the eye. You can't look at someone an assess them by their outer appearance.

loadfaster

It takes something special to be a ups driver.
Masochism? A desire to accomplish the impossible every day?
What makes a king out of a slave? What makes the flag on the mast to wave? What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? What makes the dawn come up like thunder? What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?

You can say that again.

Been watching the Wizard of Oz, have we?

LOL It's ok buddy you don't have to work the government will take care of you. Don't worry we will continue to work so you and many other American's don't have to...pathetic.

HomeDelivery

Are all you guys out on parole or something? Just find it funny how UPS always has the keys/gate codes/passes whatever needs to be done for the delivery, and all I see at the locked doors are stickies from Fedex. Seems no one has much faith in you guys. Even if it is cheaper.

i'm a swing driver, so maybe some regular drivers have the keys... i know that they give me the gate entry codes for some of those communities i serve @ the time

i bumped into them again this week since i'm now assigned the same area for the rest of peak season & he (the helper/ package mule) only said he made just a tad over $200 while i'm kissing $1k

Rayyar

What you need to tell Mgmt is give some pre training on the friggin diads, so helpers can be independent. The rest is cake. I have done it three years and the only training on the diad I got was on the run.

upser92

man, this was my second day working as driver helper. The load was heavy and crazy. i had three loads of 10 or so boxes in my first hour! I quit soon after. Man, i dont know how you guys do this. Well i dont think ill be working for ups again, its just not meant for me

P*ssy! That job is seriously the easiest one I've ever had

BeachBoy

Yeah, incredibly easy job. Hardest part is having to work on a full stomach after all the free donuts, cookies and candy along the route. I had a great driver who took the time to show me how he wanted things done, made for some easy days.