Man pinned between tractor, trailer at UPS facility in DeWitt

P

pickup

Backing up a sleeper unit is like backing up a package car. Scan your area before backing and it's no big deal.

A duh. Remember these guys have no back up cameras, and judging by the looks of them, need about 18 hours of sleep to be made whole. These facts (and a few more) and an inexperienced person(inexperienced as in not paying total attention to one's surroundings) who walks between two pieces of equipment is a recipe for failure.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
A duh. Remember these guys have no back up cameras, and judging by the looks of them, need about 18 hours of sleep to be made whole. These facts (and a few more) and an inexperienced person(inexperienced as in not paying total attention to one's surroundings) who walks between two pieces of equipment is a recipe for failure.

Duh?

When I was in package there were no back up cameras There's no back up cameras behind 53' of my trailer either yet I've somehow managed to not kill anyone.

P

pickup

Duh?

When I was in package there were no back up cameras There's no back up cameras behind 53' of my trailer either yet I've somehow managed to not kill anyone.

Okay, I was perhaps, a little harsh with "A duh" comment. I take it back. I've managed not to kill anyone either or hurt anyone as appears to be the case here.

I'm just saying in addition to the lack of sleep and hygiene that many of these independents seem to exhibit( and that can be due to lack of time , due to the over dispatching from their companies) coupled with the fact that some of these independents are 45 days removed from truck school, these guys are prone to making these type of mistakes. That's all I am saying.

P

pickup

a
Okay, I was perhaps, a little harsh with "A duh" comment. I take it back. I've managed not to kill anyone either or hurt anyone as appears to be the case here.

I'm just saying in addition to the lack of sleep and hygiene that many of these independents seem to exhibit( and that can be due to lack of time , due to the over dispatching from their companies) coupled with the fact that some of these independents are 45 days removed from truck school, these guys are prone to making these type of mistakes. That's all I am saying.

And hygiene has nothing to do with the issue here. I just threw that one in.

And hygiene has nothing to do with the issue here. I just threw that one in.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Those independent scabbies aren't allowed on property at our building either. They seem to be a pretty dense group of morons as a whole anyway. Three gates at my building and they always are using the wrong one, backing out, and destroying traffic. Oh, and as for hygiene how bout testing for meth?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Accidents like this happen more often than you may think.

We had a pkg car driver who was backing up to a loading dock at our local college library. For some reason a mailman got between the PC and the dock---I don't know if he was "helping" our driver or what he was doing----and got pinned. He had to have numerous surgeries to rearrange his innards and was out of work for a year. Our driver was fired, got his job back only to lose it a week later when he was observed on road not wearing his seat belt.

He is still working here today.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Accidents like this happen more often than you may think.

We had a pkg car driver who was backing up to a loading dock at our local college library. For some reason a mailman got between the PC and the dock---I don't know if he was "helping" our driver or what he was doing----and got pinned. He had to have numerous surgeries to rearrange his innards and was out of work for a year. Our driver was fired, got his job back only to lose it a week later when he was observed on road not wearing his seat belt.

He is still working here today.

What a great story, thanks for that :)

Lame

UPS4Life

No contractors allowed on the property in the 177.
If you're referring to the meadowlands that is so nice not dealing with them anymore! Beginning of peak was awful they'd park anywhere inside not know where they're going can't back up I could go on forever!

Sent using BrownCafe App

MeltedSnowman

I spoke with a feeder driver about this on Friday. The man crushed was a UPS security guard. The truck belonged to and was operated by a contractor. No functioning trailer lights or backup alarm. As far as everyone knows contractors are not allowed past the gate but between a combination of peek and looking the other way people get nearly crushed to death.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I spoke with a feeder driver about this on Friday. The man crushed was a UPS security guard. The truck belonged to and was operated by a contractor. No functioning trailer lights or backup alarm. As far as everyone knows contractors are not allowed past the gate but between a combination of peek and looking the other way people get nearly crushed to death.
I believe your story is inaccurate. I could be mistaken. The fact is this- safety seems to go away during the "peak season". We can control our own safety thus everyone can remain safe. If everyone put as much time/concern into their job and being safe as they do their iPhones, things would work out just fine. Aim high folks- lotsa unsafe people out there.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I believe your story is inaccurate. I could be mistaken. The fact is this- safety seems to go away during the "peak season". We can control our own safety thus everyone can remain safe. If everyone put as much time/concern into their job and being safe as they do their iPhones, things would work out just fine. Aim high folks- lotsa unsafe people out there.
You can spew out the DOK flawlessly but if you don't practice safe work methods all the acronyms in the world won't keep you safe.

moldsporh

Because it makes too much sense to put back up alarms on all UPS vehicles.

Let's blow a forward facing horn while reversing relying on driver actuation....or we can have an automatic rear-facing back up alarm.

Not too long ago the morning shift opened a bay door to find a deceased worker trapped between the trailer and dock.

A $10 part would have saved his life.

Safety first??

Integrity

Binge Poster
Anyone have an update on the injured persons condition?

There is word being spread that it was a fatality.

I don't believe that is true but I could not find any information about his condition.

Sincerely,
I

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
And when every vehicle has one the inattentive, naive, or careless person will not pay attention to that too.

How about promoting common sense instead?

moldsporh

I hear ya Von. ...and UPS sees it also as heightened driver awareness when we must use the horn and ensure the backing maneuver is performed safely.

However, if common sense overflowed the minds of everyone, then accidents wouldn't likely happen.

Hard to see what's going on behind a 53' trailer, let alone hear the tractor. Not saying this incident involved a 53' but back up alarms should be mandatory.

I thought they were required in most states?

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Duh?

Dont you have to get out of the jockey can first and make sure theres no one around?

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I hear ya Von. ...and UPS sees it also as heightened driver awareness when we must use the horn and ensure the backing maneuver is performed safely.

However, if common sense overflowed the minds of everyone, then accidents wouldn't likely happen.

Hard to see what's going on behind a 53' trailer, let alone hear the tractor. Not saying this incident involved a 53' but back up alarms should be mandatory.

I thought they were required in most states?
If common sense overflowed there'd be a lot less people on this planet. Back to topic.
From my understanding the accident was a person pinned between a tractor and the front of a trailer.

Dont you have to get out of the jockey can first and make sure theres no one around?

No, Nut, one does not get out and look around every time when backing. Only if you feel the situation may have changed.

To try and answer both your questions,
Imo I don't feel it's any more difficult/dangerous to back up a 53' than it is to back up a 28'. If your are pulling or backing a trailer in a straight line the amount of blind area directly behind you is the same, roughly 8.5' wide x13' high. What differs based on trailer length is how far behind you that blind area extends.
To me though it's all incidental if you follow the proper procedures for spotting a trailer.

Scan the area as you approach it.

Scan the area and the bay as your arrive.

Scan the area as you set up.

Begin your back.

If you do that you'll have both a mental and visual picture of your area and what's in it.

As far as safety items being mandatory on vehicles I'll make a long story short. My fathers equipment repair company has a maintenance contract with the state of MN to repair/maintain state vehicles. These have all the latest safety pieces on them. The number two reason that equipment comes into our shop is for damage repair from people crashing into them. People not paying attention,etc, are going to continue to do so irregardless of what safety requirements are around them.

What's the saying, You can't fix stupid.