man-up

brmflyr

I just had to write this because of all the whining going on by driver helpers---for the record i am one too..
I perused this job like rest of you and had no idea what I was getting into, but let me tell you my story..
When I went to meet my 2nd driver -first one decided he didn't want helper.. so no it wasnt easy being told to wait even longer, but when I went to meet my driver what he saw was a 43yr old 250lb female helper --oh crap i can see your faces.
but in those two weeks since I started I have learned our route, ran my ass off, woke up not knowing if I was going to be able to walk that day much less get up all those stair- we have a lot of appts on our route - but i did it and am still doing it and actually having fun- now that the pain has subsided a little. And yes I would love for this to lead to something more but im taking one day at a time.
so quit whining and make the most of this-remember you could be unemployed or worse yet working at toys r us....
BTW- I have lost 10 lbs so far - so screw px90 just become a driver helper :funny:

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I just had to write this because of all the whining going on by driver helpers---for the record i am one too..
I perused this job like rest of you and had no idea what I was getting into, but let me tell you my story..
When I went to meet my 2nd driver -first one decided he didn't want helper.. so no it wasnt easy being told to wait even longer, but when I went to meet my driver what he saw was a 43yr old 250lb female helper --oh crap i can see your faces.
but in those two weeks since I started I have learned our route, ran my ass off, woke up not knowing if I was going to be able to walk that day much less get up all those stair- we have a lot of appts on our route - but i did it and am still doing it and actually having fun- now that the pain has subsided a little. And yes I would love for this to lead to something more but im taking one day at a time.
so quit whining and make the most of this-remember you could be unemployed or worse yet working at toys r us....
BTW- I have lost 10 lbs so far - so screw px90 just become a driver helper :funny:

:you_go_girl:OMG one of my best helpers was a young extremely obese female. Three cheers for you! Glad you're enjoying it. I loved being a helper.

Damn Straight. 300LB male 20 years old. My driver is awesome. I have been busting my ass for the last two days (this is day # 2) and i love it. I feel energized and glad to help him. He treated me to starbucks today. Great Man!

Dont bitch. If you dont like it quit and give some one else the opportunity to work for UPS. Im shoving my foot into the door. Hopefully i can get a Preloader or Air Driver Position.

Best Of luck Helpers!!

-I <3 Logistics

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Do you mean with the driver or the company:peaceful:

stoni24

Great attitude, need you on our preload belt. If you seriously wanna work at ups, stay on good terms with your driver.
He will be asked how well you work? Good job? and so on.
Also try to find out if preload needs any seasonal loaders? Even if its just a day or two during peak. Your driver can tell you a part-time sup. to call and ask. At our center, the hardest working seasonal preloader, will be the first one called back for permanent part-time.

helenofcalifornia

Kinrossy gives good advice. HR does ask each driver if their helper was any good. And looking to work in the preload or twilight shift is a good idea too. You would get to know what the real work entails. Just remember, that to go driving would take possibly 5-10 years in some centers. Again, great attitudes. Must be nice to work with.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Kinrossy gives good advice. HR does ask each driver if their helper was any good. And looking to work in the preload or twilight shift is a good idea too. You would get to know what the real work entails. Just remember, that to go driving would take possibly 5-10 years in some centers. Again, great attitudes. Must be nice to work with.

I've never been asked by HR about a helper. That being said, I have no idea who works in our HR dept. It's in another city.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our HR person covers two centers but is based out of ours. She does ask every driver how their helper worked out and bases possible hires on the feedback that she receives. If by chance she misses a driver we go to her. I have been fortunate enough to get two of my helpers hired on permanently.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Its all senority, if they need you and have a space for you on twlight or midnight you will be asked. If not, then they will tell you your job is done and to go home.

If you pull preload, then welcome to a whole new world of hurt. Had a guy lose 70 pounds in 4 months. Driving or helping is easy in comparison.

To all of you helpers, I've seen 10 people this year quit on preload. This being only in last 6 months.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Its all senority, if they need you and have a space for you on twlight or midnight you will be asked. If not, then they will tell you your job is done and to go home.

If you pull preload, then welcome to a whole new world of hurt. Had a guy lose 70 pounds in 4 months. Driving or helping is easy in comparison.

To all of you helpers, I've seen 10 people this year quit on preload. This being only in last 6 months.

Getting hired on after Peak for temporary workers has nothing to do with seniority as they do not have any seniority to speak of other than hire date which is irrelevant.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Getting hired on after Peak for temporary workers has nothing to do with seniority as they do not have any seniority to speak of other than hire date which is irrelevant.

Yes, this is true. The company gets to pick the ones that work hard to be called back after Peak. I have had a couple of my Helpers hired into the Preload permanently on my recommendations.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Thats they way they do it here. Our building supports a huge task force, driving and inbuilding.

Plus, if that person that gets hired chooses to leave because its sucks or is way too hard, they call the next one hired by date. A friend I made from seasonal got called back because another person in seniority called it quits after a month. This building here is so PC about never offending anyone that they do it by the book all the time no matter the situation. Our buidling has to be in the top 5 of hardest to work in the country as well. I can see a large town or small city being free of choosing one or two people to fill in spots in the building. But not a city that sees a 100 new hires come threw in on tour in less then a months worth of time.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I used to get a kick out of driver's telling me to slow down when I would jump. I would smile and run harder. D.R. = Drop n' Run, (back door). Helper positions are great for adreniline junkies. Just watch your shines getting back in the Car. Lol. And stretch your calfs, hamstrings and quads before, during, and after. You won't regret it when you wake up in the morning.

Seriously though, watch your footing and adjust to weather.

Helper safety:
Aim high in running.= centers body in front lawns.
Get the big picture. = watch for uneven ground, watching for pit holes hidding under leaves or ice.
Keep your eyes moving. = watch out for correct address so as not to run back to house and retrieve package for neighbor.
Leave yourself an out. = have escape route from Cujo (crazy dogs) and getto people.
Make sure they see you. = jumping back in truck as driver hits the gas after slapping info notice on door cause you don't have time for them to get some P.J.'s on and come down 3 flites to sign for the parcel.

It's peak keep your boots running and do 300 9's as you fly from curb. GO Go GO.

bitter to the bone

You go girl!!!!

Glad to hear such a refreshing attitude towards being a drivers helper. Keep up the great work and I hope that this seasonal job will allow you the opportunity to get your "foot inside the door" We can always use good hard working people like you.

I was a driver helper about 2 years ago. It's not an easy job with all the running your ass off,climbing stairs etc. I too had the aches and pains but I "manned up" and did the job and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was disappointed when it was over.

I don't know what some people are thinking when they get the driver helper job. They must think that it's a cake job-that you get to ride around all day and look cool in the UPS browns and get paid for it. They are sadly mistaken.

My best advice for anyone looking to be a drivers helper is to ask some of the drivers what their route is like and ask what they would expect from a drivers helper. Also ask some people who have done the drivers helper job what it's like. I know that outside hires can't do this but they can certainly ask what's expected of them when they go to the training classes and if the job isn't "cake" enough, take a pass on it and find something easier.