management and numbers...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You know, I've been here 33 years. I pride myself in honesty and integrity. If there's anything that I've demanded from people that report to me its integrity.

I've promoted many people in my years and have been promoted a few times myself. I've attended countless people meetings all all highly ranked candidates are of highest ethics.

Now, these highly regarded managers can ALSO deliver results. Getting results and acting with honor are not incompatible.

Yes, I've seen some that have achieved "numbers" in a less than admirable way. From my experience, their behavior eventually catches up with them.

P-Man

Occasionally there are good people that do it right, I do believe that. But generally no, not in my experience, the company is not built on integrity , saftey, or values. And also, the ones that do it right are often in the same loop as those doing it wrong, so in essence they are equally as guilty.

Just as people lump Teamsters as difficult, stubborn, which is true in many cases.

tieguy

Banned
Why are you bringing economics into this? UPS is still very profitable through these hard times and you cannot deny that. It is not as though UPS is close to going under - that ain't happenin, so no point in bringing up the woe-is-me, poor UPS profits are down under a billion for the quarter. :knockedout:

This entire post was and is based on the premise that I am aware of a management team that was nailed for cheating employees, cheating the system and generally BUILDING UP TO running an unsafe operation while expecting numbers that were impossible for employees to attain.

Day by day, week by week, this built up and the integrity lessened and the flexibility of the operation was compromised.

It is not as though this is a wild misconception of mine, this is reality and I am glad these managers are in UPS prison until their next great scheme to manipulate and cheat the system.

It will happen again, and I will be posting again when it happens, and surely you will be posting the same mumbo jumbo about the economy somehow making it acceptable to lie and cheat the same people that come in every day and make it happen and service packages for you and everyone else in a management or supervisor role.

Sleeve your post is a common theme. At this point we all know that all maangement are a bunch of lying , thieving , inhumane and totally incompetent folks who all took management to escape delivery. My point was simply that despite these fine qualities that I constantly read about here somehow those some people managed to steer this company through some incredibly difficult economic times when some of the top companies in the world collapsed.

For some strange reason I rarely see that point made here in between all the management horror stories so I thought I'd bring it up for kicks and giggles. :happy-very:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve your post is a common theme. At this point we all know that all maangement are a bunch of lying , thieving , inhumane and totally incompetent folks who all took management to escape delivery. My point was simply that despite these fine qualities that I constantly read about here somehow those some people managed to steer this company through some incredibly difficult economic times when some of the top companies in the world collapsed.

For some strange reason I rarely see that point made here in between all the management horror stories so I thought I'd bring it up for kicks and giggles. :happy-very:

It could still be quite a bit better than it is, more profitable - safer - higher morale - with more intelligent and capable people in charge. That is the scary part. I do agree with you for the most part, not necessarily disagreeing here.

Of course you want to totally misquote me to make your own point, and that is funny and kicks and giggles in itself. Some managers are liars and thieves. You know it and I know it. Maybe even yourself. I would never say that ALL are, but it would probably make you feel better.

Channahon

Why are you bringing economics into this? UPS is still very profitable through these hard times and you cannot deny that. It is not as though UPS is close to going under - that ain't happenin, so no point in bringing up the woe-is-me, poor UPS profits are down under a billion for the quarter. :knockedout:

This entire post was and is based on the premise that I am aware of a management team that was nailed for cheating employees, cheating the system and generally BUILDING UP TO running an unsafe operation while expecting numbers that were impossible for employees to attain.

Day by day, week by week, this built up and the integrity lessened and the flexibility of the operation was compromised.

It is not as though this is a wild misconception of mine, this is reality and I am glad these managers are in UPS prison until their next great scheme to manipulate and cheat the system.

It will happen again, and I will be posting again when it happens, and surely you will be posting the same mumbo jumbo about the economy somehow making it acceptable to lie and cheat the same people that come in every day and make it happen and service packages for you and everyone else in a management or supervisor role.

Let me say this, the majorty of UPS management are honest, hard working people , who chose to go into mangement.

And for UPS to be profitable in these economic times, only goes to show, UPS has been ahead of the game, like forever. It is all about managing cost, which UPS has been doing since 1907. Maybe you should try to run a multi - biilion corporation in today's economic envirnonment

Although layoffs have occurred, minimal compared to the business world out there today.

This company is not successful, due to houlry emplyee efforts only, it's dedication by all UPS employees to service our customers, who pay our salary,

brownrodster

No my dear you are not at the bottom of the hill. I am. I am in business development. My office turns back flips to get your SLIM lead credited to you so you can get what ever bonus you get in addition to a paycheck that is higher than mine. This at the depravation of my "numbers".

If you think you are at the bottom of the hill you have never stepped foot into my office. We are the toliet. All the feces are dumped on us and furthermore we are forced to take it and like it. If we have any objections to how we are treated they start on a project to systematically get rid of you. Spend an hour in my office and you would have a whole new outlook on your position.

We are at the bottom of different hills. I've heard the conference cals. My sup gets yelled at by someone in an office 100 miles away. Then my sup comes and badgers us to stop sucking as much. That guy 100 miles away was probably in a conference call earlier where his boss yelled at him for sucking so much.

brownrodster

My old center manager achieved the numbers the dis-honorable way. He/She is now on the outside looking in.

We lost a center manager to dishonest numbers.

The numbers we drivers are concerned about are overallowed and SPORH. And these numbers, for the most part, are pulled out of someone's as$ who has never spent a day on a UPS truck.

When the squeeze is put on drivers to increase their numbers morale goes in the toilet. I can understand trying to get a few slugs of drivers to pick up the pace. But beating good drivers over the head daily with ridiculous expactations does nothing but create anger, resentment and unhappiness.

I know that our sups are given hell in conference calls daily to increase production. That's where it comes from. It works it's way down the chain from the top. There are probably 10 sets of conference calls before the "you suck" message works it's way down the chain and gets to our driver group.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We lost a center manager to dishonest numbers.

The numbers we drivers are concerned about are overallowed and SPORH. And these numbers, for the most part, are pulled out of someone's as$ who has never spent a day on a UPS truck.

When the squeeze is put on drivers to increase their numbers morale goes in the toilet. I can understand trying to get a few slugs of drivers to pick up the pace. But beating good drivers over the head daily with ridiculous expactations does nothing but create anger, resentment and unhappiness.

I know that our sups are given hell in conference calls daily to increase production. That's where it comes from. It works it's way down the chain from the top. There are probably 10 sets of conference calls before the "you suck" message works it's way down the chain and gets to our driver group.

THe sup out there delivering is buying a new BMW for a fat cat every day =) All the while 3 drivers were offered VLO's , one stayed or went home are on temp layoff to inside shifts because there aren't enough packages to deliver!

Big Babooba

In our PCM this morning, we were told our start time for next week will be 10 minutes later. When we asked why, we were told that our management team was instructed to cut hours. 40 drivers times 10 minutes is 400 minutes a day. It was either that or cut routes.
This is what we were told- I'm still trying to figure the logic on that one. Starting 10 minutes later will magically make you punch out 10 minutes sooner? The amount of work on the package car will magically be 20 minutes less? Cutting routes that pre-seniority drivers run, who make$18.00 an hour so that they can pay "old timers" $43.00 an hour overtime with the add cuts?
What am I missing?
Why don't I get this?
In our center, they pushed back my group's start time by 5 minutes because the preload wasn't wrapping up on time. It makes sense in our case because our left building times haven't changed and we are returning to the building around the same time.

Big Babooba

Was that a young kid named Vinnie?
Do you know Vinnie? I could tell you a few stories about Vinnie. He was my nemesis. Center Manager, self proclaimed doctor and Wankee fan to boot - going through life with 3 strikes against him!:happy-very: Probably not the same Vinnie though.:wink2:

upsgrunt

In our center, they pushed back my group's start time by 5 minutes because the preload wasn't wrapping up on time. It makes sense in our case because our left building times haven't changed and we are returning to the building around the same time.

That's not the case in our center as the preload is wrapped up by 8 daily.

DS

Fenderbender
As we all know,ups loves its acronyms.I have a new one sent down from the ebony tower.Its called...
SMOG
Systematic Minimalization of Organizational Goals

old levi's

blank space
Our start time was actually pushed back 15 minutes starting yesterday. We now start at 8:45 on Mondays and 9 the rest of the week. The extra 15 minutes is invaluable in trying to get the air off by 10:30.

Our start time is dependent upon us getting our loads in from Syracuse and Albany on time, which is why we weren't starting until 9:15. There were many days that the preload was wrapped by 8:45 and we would have to sit and wait until 9:15.

Hopefully we can go to 8:30 on Mondays and 8:45 the rest of the week.

My route start time is never before 1030 and often close to 1100. Obviously no 1030 commits but plenty of 1200 ones. After the air is delivered at 1200 I'm caught in the 1200-1300 lockout which leaves me exactly 3 hrs. for business stops before pickups. Life is good.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sounds like many of us wish we had gone to work for some other company that does not chase numbers so aggressively. Perhaps a GM?

lets switch ups with gm for a second. If ups stop picking up ground from 90% of their customers and instead only offered next day air in this tight economy...is this a wise move??? SOOOO, why would gm continue to make heavy trucks and large suv's when gas is at 4.00+ a gallon and the economy is making people think twice on dropping 40k on a truck? Tie, you seem to be a voice of reason on here and I enjoy 99.98% of your posts, but people need to stop using gm as a excuse for ALL other companies. Yes, there are some problems with the uaw, but the american people have been begging gm and ford to build smaller cars, including bio cars, electric cars, but they have ignored everyone. Toyota got on the bandwagon with prius, and you see them EVERYWHERE...its apples to oranges.

outamyway

Numbers are used to judge performance. Everyone wants to do good. Our managers report to their managers and so on up the chain. We as drivers deal with all the feces because we are at the bottom of the hill.

How are drivers the bottom? Your job is effected by the person loading your truck.

The preload has to make their numbers to.