Management becoming drivers

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by laffter, Aug 5, 2014.

1. laffter

laffter Active Member

One person I spoke to said he/she heard from the HR guy that any sup/management person hired off the street (not in-house) cannot ever become a driver. Basically, only if you graduate into a management position from a union position can you ever become a union driver.

Is there any truth to this? It doesn't apply to me, but I am curious nonetheless.
  2. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

That's the norm here, and has been that way as long as I've been at ups.
  3. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

As long as you are referring to Full-time management ... that is the case.
  4. Atlantic Canadian Walker

Atlantic Canadian Walker Atlantic Canadian Walker

Another reason why I did some homework before signing up. I hear terrible things bout goin mgmt.
  5. Pooter

Pooter Active Member

Never say never. Management can pull off some amazing things out their ass.
  6. ArcherUTR

ArcherUTR Active Member

If that's true across the country, I feel fortunate. I declined a part time supervisor position from the get-go. I didn't know what I was getting myself into and I didn't feel comfortable telling people how to do their job without first mastering the job myself.

I later did about 6 months of part time supervisor before going driving.
  7. Bottom rung

Bottom rung Active Member

We have one in my building, almost two but he didn't have the patience to wait two more months. Both started in management.
  8. laffter

laffter Active Member

I'm not referring to full time management, specifically. We have a new part time sup (outside hire) who is under the impression she will never be able to drive or hold any union position. My friend confirmed this based on his/her conversation with the HR guy. However, we had an HR guy over recent periods who is now a driver. According to someone I spoke to, he "may" (not fact) have been hired at UPS as an HR rep. So, someone is wrong. Or, exceptions can be made.
  9. BigBeef42

BigBeef42 Active Member

In my hub last month a pt supe went ft driving with 3 years in. He intentionally became a supe so he could cut in line.

Regular wait time for a ft spot - for a pt union member - is 10-11 years in my building.

Sent using USPS
  10. They call it 1 for 5 here for every 5 drivers they hire they can get one person off the street or a supervisor. They make sure they use this rule in my building cheap workers now that it takes 4 years for top pay and cant go 9.5 for 4. Lots of money saved by not hiring the cover drivers that will go right to top pay.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  11. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

It's whatever the decision makers want at that time. With management the rules tend to bend, break, and change as the seasons do. I see no logic in not letting her become a driver but letting someone from literally off the street drive. But we have to remember who we are talking about here.

Sent using BrownCafe App