Management EBO-Rumor

A

an anonymous guest

The gas has only started to be bad in the last few years.

and it's only 37 years now...my plan has been to work 40 years but we'll see.

You mean in your 37 years that you havn't worked at least 40? Your not pulling your weight....but then again maybe you are!

Go UPS!
P71

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Great post Techgirl...I would add only one thing and that is to have a prudent diversification plan to carry you forward....that has worked out most excellently for me (retired 5 years...can't believe it)

And I thought Hoaxter gas been around at least 40 years..he may never retire....

Go UPS!
P71

Yeah, I diversified about half my UPS stock into other assets when I retired. Working with a good wealth management group at PNC. I did tell them they had to replace the dividend income though, since that pays for my Packer tickets! <grin> Tax free municipals works nicely.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
all very true and logical.....and yet the company sits with thousands of these management people 55 and over -- that in some cases (NOT ALL) are making a lower contribution to the real success of the organization while receiving a disproportionate compensation package...In many ways I believe they have earned it and fought their battles (call it the mgt seniority complex)...but from an organizational standpoint It would be wise to get many of then off the active employee ledger.
I don't think the problem is financial, at least in all cases. I think it is a psychological fear that when they retire, they will be useless. I know of more than one UPSer who retired and went down the tubes because their whole identity and life was tied to Big Brown. Very Sad.

My advice to anyone who is fearful of retirement, because they don't know what to do outside of UPS is to go to your church, or any non-profit, and volunteer. They will shed tears of joy to have someone with your background available to them, and you will be astonished at how rewarding it is.

I especially like the Red Cross, since they can make excellent use of UPS mangement skills from their volunteers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't think the problem is financial, at least in all cases. I think it is a psychological fear that when they retire, they will be useless. I know of more than one UPSer who retired and went down the tubes because their whole identity and life was tied to Big Brown.

If you replaced the word "useless" with "bored" and "identity" with "sense of accomplishment" then that would describe part of what I am reflecting upon as I make this decision.

I am lucky that I actually like my job and what I do at UPS. Hate the commute - 49 miles one-way.

Channahon

Actually more than my regular paycheck by a couple hundred bucks.

Hopefully my pension check will not have these on it:
401k - regular and catch-up
Federal Tax (still some bu lower)
State tax (still some bu lower)
FICA
Health Plan payments
UPSPAC
United Way

None of the above will be on your retirement check, unless you opt for Federal and State tax to be withheld. Personally, I do choose to pay quarterly, rather than give the feds and state my tax payment monthly. Did that during my whole career, so it's nice to have the option.

FICA still comes into play with RSU's and RPU's on the 20% you will get over the next 5 years.

UPSPAC and UW info will come your way as a retiree, but as always, that is a personal decision to contribute.

Left at 55 in 2006 and never looked back!!

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
If you replaced the word "useless" with "bored" and "identity" with "sense of accomplishment" then that would describe part of what I am reflecting upon as I make this decision.

I am lucky that I actually like my job and what I do at UPS. Hate the commute - 49 miles one-way.

Again, go find a non-profit to volunteer for. They are particularly hard up for good technical advice. You will not be bored.

No one can ever take away what you have already accomplished. I look back and know that UPS is profoundly different because of things I did.

Now, no commute, no getting up in the middle of the night for useless conference calls while dodos try to debug something, and no one nagging me to cut 10% more from an organization that is so skinny chicken there are no feathers left.

seagull4

Amazing rumors in the district/Regionfor management EBO,but only time will tell which pans out.
Just today I heard from several management sources. I won't go into the financial aspect of what I heard,but scenarios are the following:
1-50 and up with retirement age going to 62 if you turn the EBO down.
2- 54 and up .One source says grade 18 only. A higher source says that will not be the case.
One thing for sure is we will know W/E the 9th.

island1fox

all very true and logical.....and yet the company sits with thousands of these management people 55 and over -- that in some cases (NOT ALL) are making a lower contribution to the real success of the organization while receiving a disproportionate compensation package...In many ways I believe they have earned it and fought their battles (call it the mgt seniority complex)...but from an organizational standpoint It would be wise to get many of then off the active employee ledger.

S,
I for one believe that you will see many of these over 55 people put their papers in for retirement January---get the additional six weeks vacation --thats enough of a "buyout'
I also believe you can never pay enough"dues" Everyone has to earn their salary every day. If a long term over 55 is not doing their job a new ops assignment in Metro New York or West Long Island or East Bay --etc etc--would have them putting in the papers faster than you could spell -RETIRE !!
As I said NO ONE has payed enough dues to be carried as dead wood --shame on Corporate if they do not "force" the issue as I just recommended. No need to worry about additional re-lo cost --the dead wood will not re-lo --they will just go !!:wink2:

tieguy

Banned
if they downsize the districtmgr.regional mgr.they could save some money that way.could save several millon dollars.

There will come a time when they have collapsed all the regions and districts they can and they will basically have no more to collapse. There will come a time when they have eliminated all the left turns in delivery and can not improve that productivity. Then what do they do?

tieguy

Banned
Our on road managers confirmed two districts here in the south are getting combined.

I hope they do the buyouts for the older managers.

We could use some new blood.

I don't know the older guys have some sense. Same with the drivers. The older ones are slower but they usually do a much better job on the quality elements. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the mindset that wants to purge the older guys.

island1fox

I don't know the older guys have some sense. Same with the drivers. The older ones are slower but they usually do a much better job on the quality elements. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the mindset that wants to purge the older guys.

Tie,
No argument if the older guys are still contributing--mgmt or hourly.
If they are around just talking about the "good old " days and what they did in the past --does not cut it.
They have already been well compensated for the past --it is what are you doing for us now? RE-live the glory days in your retirement !!

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
There will come a time when they have collapsed all the regions and districts they can and they will basically have no more to collapse. There will come a time when they have eliminated all the left turns in delivery and can not improve that productivity. Then what do they do?

Unionize FedEx?

purplesky

Yes union busting in 2010 is just what the American public wants now. It would be so great for our economy to lose more good paying jobs. Since UPS is not making any profit now maybe they should just pay drivers whatever Walmart workers make. I mean its not like anybody at UPS works hard. :surprised:

randomUPSISer

Yes union busting in 2010 is just what the American public wants now. It would be so great for our economy to lose more good paying jobs. Since UPS is not making any profit now maybe they should just pay drivers whatever Walmart workers make. I mean its not like anybody at UPS works hard. :surprised:

I didnt say it was a good thing, but a "realistic" thing. If you honestly think high ups within the company wouldnt be happy to drag your compensation down below that of fedex I think you are living in fantasy land. Sadly enough, I think, out of jealousy, the rest of the american public would indeed be happy to see it. Notice how the UAW at GM has been saw by the US public.

I dont have a single problem with you guys pay. I've done that job once or twice, and worked in hubs. I think we'd be paying you all in the 20's an hour even without a union if they wanted any sense of retention

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Among the issues I had with the UAW was the job banks program where laid off employees were paid their regular wage to basically sit and play cards for 8 hours.

I also think that UPS would pay their drivers in the 20s without the Union.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont have a single problem with you guys pay. I've done that job once or twice, and worked in hubs. I think we'd be paying you all in the 20's an hour even without a union if they wanted any sense of retention

The whole point behind PAS/EDD and Telematics is to "de-skill" the delivery job, eliminate the need for retention, de-value area knowledge, and turn each route into a homogenous, paint-by-the-numbers routine that can be preformed by a drone who is micromanaged online from behind a computer monitor. Why retain older, more injury-prone drivers when you can just plug fresh new hires into the "matrix" and send them on their way?

And as far as "being paid in the 20's even without a union" goes....the hourly wage is only a small part of the package. That money isnt worth much without a pension...or decent benefits....or contractual gurantees of seniority, guranteed hours, paid holidays, bidding rights, a grievance procedure etc etc. What good is $25 an hour if your job has been subcontracted out or assigned to a lower seniority driver with a year-around helper?

Last edited:

pretzel_man

The whole point behind PAS/EDD and Telematics is to "de-skill" the delivery job, eliminate the need for retention, de-value area knowledge, and turn each route into a homogenous, paint-by-the-numbers routine that can be preformed by a drone who is micromanaged online from behind a computer monitor. Why retain older, more injury-prone drivers when you can just plug fresh new hires into the "matrix" and send them on their way?

And as far as "being paid in the 20's even without a union" goes....the hourly wage is only a small part of the package. That money isnt worth much without a pension...or decent benefits....or contractual gurantees of seniority, guranteed hours, paid holidays, bidding rights, a grievance procedure etc etc. What good is $25 an hour if your job has been subcontracted out or assigned to a lower seniority driver with a year-around helper?

Actually, there was a much different reason behind DPS / PAS / EDD.

When the idea started, preload turnover was very high. The amount of knowledge needed by the average preloader was between 500 and 2000 knowledge units.

In addition, most operations did not reloop due to work required to make the changes and retrain all the preloaders. Even though so much had changed over many, many years UPS' loops had not.

At that time, UPS did not have a delivery planning tool either.

So it seemed that the best solution was to create a new planning tool (DPS) and "simplify" the preload job by using a PAL label.

The combination of the two things above would allow for operations to reloop where needed.

Now, that being said many operation did a horrible job of relooping. Even though they had DPS / PAS / EDD they misued these great tools.

Many operations did great, but many others did poorly.

If you said that many opertaions did not take advantage of the tools or even made things worse, I could not argue. However to say that the reason for the tools was to devalue the employee...that is not true.

I was there in the early days. Even heard some things directly from Eskew.

P-Man

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

P-Man, I would hope that you would agree that Sober does have a point in that, since the implementation of PAS/EDD, it would be much easier for a replacement driver to come in, pick up a DIAD and, with minimal training, deliver an area. Did the strike advance implementation of PAS/EDD?