Management EBO-Rumor

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I miss the good old days when the union and the mob worked hand in hand.

A guy like Socks would be wearing a pair of concrete boots at the bottom of the Hudson river. Why buy 'em out when you can have 'em whacked?

Ok, i gave you some serious rep points for that post. :peaceful:

I feel that way after i watch the movie Hoffa with good ole Jack...what a great movie.

Buffaloaf

Bubblehead,
I do not believe you are missing anything. Mgmt vacations are very different --the first day worked in the year makes you eligible for all vacation time earned per years of service. In other words if I was 55 yrs old with 30 yrs of service and my birthday was in the fourth Q --I would work one day in Jan and receive 6 additional weeks of vacation --right or wrong. Also people hold on for there last mip in the 4th q and certain levels also recieve an additional stock option when the New Year starts.
It would make sense for UPS to have all of these people commit during the first two months of the year --the highest number of mgmt people leaving before offering any other enticements to those thinking about hanging on for another yr or two.
My personal opinion is that there will be no buyout --time will tell.:peaceful:

This is actually not right. Management accrues vacation throughout the year. So if you took four weeks of vacation in January and then quit in February, you would owe the company three weeks worth of pay (maybe even more than that since January is only 1/12 of the year and 1 paycheck out of 4 would be 1/4 of your vaca -- you may actually owe 3 weeks and like 3 days worth of pay). This is how it is for part-time management. Full-time management may be different, but I know for a fact that sups that have left before their vacas have fully accrued have been forced to pay back their excess vacation pay.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Bubblehead,
I do not believe you are missing anything. Mgmt vacations are very different --the first day worked in the year makes you eligible for all vacation time earned per years of service. In other words if I was 55 yrs old with 30 yrs of service and my birthday was in the fourth Q --I would work one day in Jan and receive 6 additional weeks of vacation --right or wrong. Also people hold on for there last mip in the 4th q and certain levels also recieve an additional stock option when the New Year starts.
It would make sense for UPS to have all of these people commit during the first two months of the year --the highest number of mgmt people leaving before offering any other enticements to those thinking about hanging on for another yr or two.
My personal opinion is that there will be no buyout --time will tell.:peaceful:

This is actually not right. Management accrues vacation throughout the year. So if you took four weeks of vacation in January and then quit in February, you would owe the company three weeks worth of pay (maybe even more than that since January is only 1/12 of the year and 1 paycheck out of 4 would be 1/4 of your vaca -- you may actually owe 3 weeks and like 3 days worth of pay). This is how it is for part-time management. Full-time management may be different, but I know for a fact that sups that have left before their vacas have fully accrued have been forced to pay back their excess vacation pay.

Buffalo,
You are referring to a management person whose age is less than 55.

IslandFox was referring to a management person that is 55 years of age and vested (5 yrs);
then the management person gets all their weeks of vacation in the year of their retirement at anytine during the year. At 25 years management maxs out at 6 weeks.
That is why management may quit/retire if 55 years or older and their last day worked may be Mid-December but their official termination date is in Mid-February. Note: technically they have to work one day in January to get all 6 weeks of vacation.

My birthday is in February so this works out pretty well for me ... assuming these rules are still place when I retire.

Braveheart

I hear that UPS will start shedding less than favorable accounts so as to give them the ability to layoff/fire managers, drivers, part time/fulltime does not matter.

Work volume drops then they can and WILL start sending us packing. Drivers can bump part timers but for how long???

Thank God I have been here a long time but there are younger drivers that have families and work their tails off for this company that will be greatly affected.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I hear that UPS will start shedding less than favorable accounts so as to give them the ability to layoff/fire managers, drivers, part time/fulltime does not matter.

Work volume drops then they can and WILL start sending us packing. Drivers can bump part timers but for how long???

Thank God I have been here a long time but there are younger drivers that have families and work their tails off for this company that will be greatly affected.

LOL ... even I couldn't have made that one up!
Congratulations!

UPSSOCKS

How did I miss this thread, I am all through it? Anyhow why are you union bums so concerned with management changes? You guys just go to work and work as instructed. you don't have a voice in any of the changes that will take place, nor do any of the changes concern you. You are not a part of this company. After the changes in 2010, teamsters will still be at the bottom of the totem pole taking orders from 18 year old part time supervisors. What you guys should be worrying about is, who is going to steal your union dues this year.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How did I miss this thread, I am all through it? Anyhow why are you union bums so concerned with management changes? You guys just go to work and work as instructed. you don't have a voice in any of the changes that will take place, nor do any of the changes concern you. You are not a part of this company. After the changes in 2010, teamsters will still be at the bottom of the totem pole taking orders from 18 year old part time supervisors. What you guys should be worrying about is, who is going to steal your union dues this year.
I'm telling Johnny. He'll take care of you. You are obviously no match him. That's why you run from every thread he challenges you in.

unionman

Forgive us, we can only hope that UPS will get rid of the current neo Nazi regime and start a new culture. How to manage and motivate people 101 was not part of your curriculum at bend over high school were you got your GED.

The January 7th announcement could be a number of things. Starting back up the 401k match? I assume that will be happening as FedEx is doing that. I wonder if it will be a big ra, ra video? Take some stuff, give some stuff kind of situation.

The "announcement" that will take place is that there will be 3 regions in the US and down to 40 districts.
The EBO is rumored to be a combination of 80 years (age plus years of service). This would "push" those that are shy a few years of service but have the age. People like "He whose name we do not mention" came from another company to UPS and could be one of those that would benefit from this type of package.

Getting rid of center level managers and supervisors does nothing for the payroll, you have to get rid of the level of managers that get LTIP. Those managers exceed 300k per year and they are the people that are killing this company. They all want their bonus so they won't make any decisions that would upset anyone.

The other "rumor" is that the video will announce pay raises in 2010 for management as well.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I know, I was getting worried about you.
Don't worry; I'll keep the name "UPSSOCKS" in front of everyone while you're away. :peaceful:

Buffaloaf

Buffalo,
You are referring to a management person whose age is less than 55.

IslandFox was referring to a management person that is 55 years of age and vested (5 yrs);
then the management person gets all their weeks of vacation in the year of their retirement at anytine during the year. At 25 years management maxs out at 6 weeks.
That is why management may quit/retire if 55 years or older and their last day worked may be Mid-December but their official termination date is in Mid-February. Note: technically they have to work one day in January to get all 6 weeks of vacation.

My birthday is in February so this works out pretty well for me ... assuming these rules are still place when I retire.

Ahhhh, I understand now. I just thought the reference to "if I was 55 year or older" was just so we knew that he was a curmudgeon! :dead: Thanks for the clarification.

randomUPSISer

The other "rumor" is that the video will announce pay raises in 2010 for management as well.

About time, though admittedly so many people are leaving, (Especially young talent) so many others have absolutely ZERO initiative, AND FedEx is giving theirs back, that they pretty much had to give them back.

Based on "talk" half our work group was going to leave if raises didn't come back this year. UPS wants attrition, but not attrition at that speed

island1fox

Gotcha.
With that being the case, your contention is that the buyout offer would have been made already, to avoid the extra vacation liability?
That makes sense.
Maybe they will try and buyout some old time drivers before the raise in February?
Bubblehead,
Much earlier --mid 2009 or wait until march -april 2010--but still believe there will be no buyout.
On the second point --I do see your logic on the high paid drivers and also --younger performance drivers ----I know I should never say never ----but I truly believe you will never see a buyout for the hourly people --just my opinion --does not mean it is correct. :peaceful:

beentheredonethat

UPS will be looking at less then favorable accounts. We are finally realizing that winning business and losing money on the service doesn't make sense. We are going to go back to those businesses to look at increasing their rates so they are profitable. If they leave, which they may, it will reduce volume a bit. But it's not like we are a walmart where we can have loss leaders. We need the pkgs we pick up to make a profit for us. It doesn't make sense to pick up packages and lose money on each one.

Booger

I am hearing that the retirement age with full benefits will be raised. Those eligible for the early out can go now under the current plan, but if they stay they are going to have to work longer to end up at the same level of benefits. Anyone else hear the same thing?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I am hearing that the retirement age with full benefits will be raised. Those eligible for the early out can go now under the current plan, but if they stay they are going to have to work longer to end up at the same level of benefits. Anyone else hear the same thing?

Heard that with 3 or 4 variations and probably another 20 - 30 rumors not like this. :knockedout:

The rumor I heard that is most likely is that Nothing will happen. :wink2:

tieguy

Banned

Braveheart there are two things wrong with this post the first is that you think we would actually believe this rumor the second is the thought that you might have believed it.