management hours

Y

yeah

anyone heard of additional management compensation like the part-timers have on ptrs?

Y

yeah

You have to be reccommended.It is not automatic. I would gladly trade my stock incentive for overtime pay. Atleast that is guaranteed, not deferred and cannot be stolen as they can with the redesigned MIP. I went into management to make things better. I have always treated people with respect and achieved excellent results. I just do not go drinking with the right people or kiss their behinds. After a long day, I go home to my wife and kids.

T

tieguy

I apologize for the whining tone of my management brother....
oops.gif

Y

yeah

For years I twed the company line and would agree with you about people who are whiners. Take a look at your benefits and compare to the past. Where is our company putting our new partners. I have a considerable amount of stock. I would like to see it grow. These decisions are not for the good of our company over the long haul. I have started posting so People in atlanta can see how we feel. I am sure discussion board is monitored. Especially this topic. I have constantly updated my skills to keep up with technology. I am no longer paid as well as I was. Long hours were never a gripe of mine. I always felt I was compensated fairly. A manager once told me U.P.S. does not owe us a thing. I disagree, I owe U.P.S. my loyalty, They owe me a decent wage, and a fair work day. What is the incentive for hourly people to go into management? Who carries the legacy after we are gone? My eyes are on the retirement line.

P

pre_loader

Nope, they don't get paid. Salary is just that - you are paid to work a shift, regardless if it's 10 hours or 80. I worked pre-load when my hubby was my belt super (well, before we moved in together and I was "encouraged" to take time off while he worked there lol) and some weeks he did work up to 50 hours. Bonus at the end of the year are in part numbers, in part center and belt numbers, and in part how well your center and district managers like you and your attitude. Or at least, it used to be...

U

ups79

yeah right-"I have considerable amount of stock". I bet you did not buy it, but was given it as part of your salary. Like the management people would sometimes say if front of other drivers, "if you don't like it move on". I am sure they will find someone to replace you.

W

wkmac

yeah right,
I'm not management so therefore the stock I own I have bought. That said, you keep talking because I believe you voice is a lot more out there than the folks with brown colored glasses want to believe. Whether management hours and compensation is right or wrong I'll let you guys hash that out but I do believe UPS is becoming more and more shortsided chasing a stock price than it is focused on the business. You focus on the business first and the rest will follow IMO and I honestly believe we've lost that.

This won't set well but it needs to be said anyway. In 82' we went to a multi tier wage scale and at the time $8 per hour starting out wasn't bad at all. In 2005' we're looking at $8.50 in my area and to compound this in many cases the PTers are barely getting 3.5 a day so before taxes you're looking at less than $30 per day. Add to the fact the cost of gas and time coming to and from work and if one honestly looks at the UPS situation starting out, it's not that great. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel for people whether anyone wants to admit it or not and you can take the brown colored glasses attitude and just fluff it off with a, "well who needs them anyway!" But before you just throw it all aside I want you to look into the future of UPS. I want you to consider that the bottom of the barrel today are the drivers and yes even management of tomorrow. You think about that point of view for a while and it does seem to change the equation and to the question you were going to ask the answer is yes. The question? Well are you farsighted enough to forego a better raise on the next contract to give to the pter starting wage increase? Better base makes for a stronger structure that lasts longer.

JMO.

M

michael

I hope someone in Atlanta is reading all these comments and they take their heads out of the sand and realize what is being said.

O

ok2bclever

I agree one hundred percent with you on this one wkmac.

I have been saying for over a decade that UPS is cutting it's own throat by going cheap on the starting wage for part-timers as they are the company's lifeblood future in all ways.

I could not believe the company did not put the emphasis on this part of the financial pie in the last couple of contracts.

The toll is beginnning to show now.

T

tieguy

" That said, you keep talking because I believe you voice is a lot more out there than the folks with brown colored glasses want to believe. "Whether management hours and compensation is right or wrong I'll let you guys hash that out but I do believe UPS is becoming more and more shortsided chasing a stock price than it is focused on the business. You focus on the business first and the rest will follow IMO and I honestly believe we've lost that."

In some ways I agree with you. I do think the public market has changed our focus and miss the private days. Of course my opinion would change if this stock shot up to 100 bucks tommorrow. I do think though our problem is the market does not understand us and our business. The domestic market is stagnant and will continue to be so with the increased although inferior competition. The international market is where our growth will come from. For some reason we have not been able to get the market to understand that point.

misakeet

I agree one hundred percent with you on this one wkmac.

I have been saying for over a decade that UPS is cutting it's own throat by going cheap on the starting wage for part-timers as they are the company's lifeblood future in all ways.

I could not believe the company did not put the emphasis on this part of the financial pie in the last couple of contracts.

The toll is beginnning to show now.

Amen brother!!!! What goes around comes around and it is coming around BIG TIME for this ungrateful company. Give your all only to get smile* on! That's all I have to say about that.

GoForBroke

So my beef with the FT SUP hours, is that they are so uneven. I am on-car, and work around 55 hrs/wk. 7am till I get done, and some Saturdays. But my preload partners barely break 35 hrs/wk. They get in around 4am usually and are rarely there past noon. Yet they are the same pay grade me! It's something we have brought up in WFI before, yet no change has occurred!

pretzel_man

So my beef with the FT SUP hours, is that they are so uneven. I am on-car, and work around 55 hrs/wk. 7am till I get done, and some Saturdays. But my preload partners barely break 35 hrs/wk. They get in around 4am usually and are rarely there past noon. Yet they are the same pay grade me! It's something we have brought up in WFI before, yet no change has occurred!

Good news for you on the pay front. The new pay bands have on car sups paid much more than other sups.

curiousbrain

Listen, with all those hours that they do, sorry still not worth it,

As a matter of opinion, I would take the job regardless of hours. I certainly understand that a family man has other values than income, but as a single male rapidly approaching thirty, I live to work (read: income) and little else - I would expect the family man to understand my mindset, as well.

Last edited by a moderator: