Management in Browns

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm not in a center because i work in the hub with the package slingers (not meant to be deragatory). the hub and centers are two totally different animals. i work in small sort where i am planned to work a certain amount of workers each day. this past friday, on a staffing of 32 available people, 10 did not show up for me. pretty annoying when it happens all the time and discipline gets done and i have nothing to show for it because they are still with us with the same behavior.

That is a familiar story. When I worked in smalls (years ago in another building) that was a nightly occurance. We had roster that listed something like 42 people and on average 32 showed up. And 5 or 6 of the 32 that did show up walked in 30 minutes to an hour late every night. Those of us that were on time every night had to pick up their slack. Then they would hardly even work once they did show up so I always wondered whey they even bothered comming in the first place.

mathematics

That is a familiar story. When I worked in smalls (years ago in another building) that was a nightly occurance. We had roster that listed something like 42 people and on average 32 showed up. And 5 or 6 of the 32 that did show up walked in 30 minutes to an hour late every night. Those of us that were on time every night had to pick up their slack. Then they would hardly even work once they did show up so I always wondered whey they even bothered comming in the first place.

lazy people are a huge burden to you, the worker, and management. i didn't even mention the FT hourlies that go home after the twilight, not showing up for the second shift, and screw their fellow teamsters out of pension credits and PTers that really need that FT spot that is being wasted.

area43

My appology back cause I usually don't speak my mind like that and didn't intend to lash but I did. I should probably change my name, only kept it cause it was my screen name way back in the lan line days gaming on the Doom before the internet even was a thought outside the military, LOL.

I believe in harmony. We just all need to stay in sink and hopefully the bad fruit will fall off the tree sooner or later. LoL.

I see we're your coming from as well, it's just distructive to get caught up in that mindset even if it's easy to do when stressed and it degrades us all. I'm prode to were the brown but wish more people would get in harmony.

Things could be so much better at UPS if we all had a better understanding and kept our minds open to the other. I need to understand managements perspective just as much as management needs to see us drivers. It's like we need to take the five seeing habits into a broader perspective and not just into driven or managing. That's when we will all see "The Big Picture".:thumbup1:

If we all pulled the rope together we could go so much farther.

I will agree to alot of this post. What I find is that the center manager and sups would be alot better people to work for if it weren't for the Division managers on up. Stock prices have alot to do with it. Pressure from the top. In reference to your quote "The Big Picture" I have found in my 22 years and yes I am a Ft driver is that in most not all cases its either mgt or the highway. Harmony, yes. I would much rather come to a happy place than a not happy place. ( :

area43

That's were people are making a BIG MISTAKE.

Don't look at us all as the teamsters!!! Just cause u have a jerk hugging on and stretching the game in there favor. You can't hold everyone accountable for 1 or even 20 people's actions.

It's almost a form of prejudice.

I don't look at all center manager's or Sup's as "MANAGEMENT THE ENEMY". I give all respect and know who to trust and who to keep an eye out 4.

Treat those individuals accordanly. When I screwed up last week, Lets just say I was in a rush and had an NON accident shuttle incodent I called my sup up emediatly and confided openly holding myself fully accountable. I didn't run to TEAMSTERs. I faced him like a man at the center and critisized myself for him in front of him.

It did kinda bit me in the butt thow. I said I fully expected a write up. The problem was another center manager from other center (we have 2 centers at our hub) walks in and wanted me to play the undercover snitch at airport to try and find any little excuse to get someone written up stating, that's the burden 4 getting caught, I didn't get caught I told em straught up. He wanted me to watch not just other fellow teamsters but also try and get the sup we have at airport.

The point is play fair and treat all people accordenly. I'm not a teamster if your not the evil empire.

Get past it cause if I get a manager treating me like a teamster then I'll be a "Teamster". Treat me fair and let me have some dignitty and you'll be amply rewarded.

There's alot more like me then you know. Stop using the word teamster and then you'll see. My manager's love me. They know I take pride in my work and deal with my work as it was my own business. My pride makes me a better worker and my pride holds me accountable. They aren't afraid to aproach me cause I understand CONSTRUCTIVe critcisizm.

For me to call off work or come in late is cutting into my profit margine. Understand. I'm human but don't aim for a 4 day weekend like some of these kids.

Watch it. You're gonna make it a long 30 yrs. getting stock ignorent workers grouped into one idea.

We all bust our butts to get the packages out. It takes more then a guy doing package dispatch. Somebody has to be dispatced to get those parcels out there. And we're not just joy riding either.

We all hold value and have a great responsability with this company and should have a sence of pride with dignity.

Throw your words at those 4 day weekend guys not at us all.

I say this in a respectful tone. It appears you are a newbie driver and yes there are poop birds to keep an eye on. Just to give you a little back ground before I proceed. Our center located in Virginia runs about 38 to 40 runs a day. Our center has been the best in the nation for a couple years and has been in the top 5 for many more. This is based on the centers size. Sales leads, production, etc, etc. Our center is in a highly conservative area. Virginia is a right to work state. I have mentioned that before. We have great drivers. Myself included. Ok having said that, BOTH of our opinions are based on our experiences at UPS. I believe we both agree on that.

Great Drivers have been fired for stupid things. These are some examples in our center. One highly productive driver fired for running over a dog on a private driveway. Another Example. A highly productive driver fired for his snow chains marking up a drive way in the winter. Another Example. A highly productive driver fired for getting bit by a dog. Another Example. A highly produtive driver gets fired for getting hurt for lifting an over 70 lb. Should he have called a sup for some Teamster hourly help. Perphaps, but than he risks himself being put in the cross hairs. Another Example. A highly productive driver gets fired for missing a scan. Hmmm maybe deserving. I could go on, but I believe your starting to see my point. Great drivers gone bad. All these drivers got their jobs back due to the TEAMSTERS. UPS does the hiring of all its employees, but they choose to pay less on the part time rolls and now are getting what they pay for when it concerns poop birds. The part time pool is where UPS gets their drivers Can you blame UPS for their poor hiring practices, perphaps. Does the $$$ have alot to do with it. Maybe, its those pesky stock holders. Hey, Laid Back, maybe its all that freed up money UPS has laying around you and math have talked about. Back, Maybe UPS should give some of that laid back(freed up) money to the pt ers thus getting a higher quality work force. Thus getting better quality drivers. Who know's, but it sure appears that you do. Many pt's are paid way to low for the work they do. In our area all drivers are hired from the inside(part timers).

Backlasher, In my 22 years I have seen many of "You" walk thru that door and think the same way your thinking. Basklasher you are human. I hope you never get hurt(on the job) and are out for a long period of time, because I have seen it all too often. Company doc's saying your ok to go back to work and you know your not ready. Im talking great drivers here, folks. Non-abusers. The Company is putting pressure on the doc to get you back on the line. Remember the stock price could be affected by you being out. TEAMSTERS, I know you don't like to hear it, but thats who will be in your corner. Many of the drivers in my center including myself started out like you. Yes, there has to be reason and sanity, but like you said it all comes down to the buck. I saw first hand how this company was before the stock. The Company has changed. Stock, frees up monies. Hmmmmm, is there a price to be paid for that? UPS had a mystic about itself. One was that it wasnt to be sold and bought like a cheap pair of shoes on the public auction block. Please ask my question. Only one question that has yet to be answered by any of the mgt or you on this site. Would our great Founder Jim Casey approve of our going public in 1999? Please don't side step the question by how much the stock has so call benefited our company. I know the text book answer you will give. Jim Casey, Yes or No.

Another thing, Mgt should/try to treat all drivers the same. To treat drivers differently, such in your case Back can lead to big problems. Yes, you were willing to take your punishment. Mgt was wrong in not going thru with the punishment. Now, Im not going to be a hypocrite and say I wouldn't want to be let off too, but it can lead up to some serious problems.

Also, "What have you done for me lately" is the motto of alot of sups. Remember every time we get a raise the standards Over/Under will be changed a tad. I know most of us are seeing that happening now. How do they change the standards? Well they make up this little worthless things called PAS. Come on. What a Joke. Whats it going to be the next raise. ASAP or PASA. LOL Whatever, I just made that up. Just like UPS did.

Last edited:

area43

you don't find it sad that we need an attendance policy? if you owned a business, would you hire someone that can't be counted on to show up for work everyday (sickness and personal days aside)?

This was your response to my post #88. I believe you misunderstood my post. We do need an attendance policy that is agreedable to both Teamsters and UPS. If UPS feels so strongly about it than they should bring it up at negioations. Hammer one out. Again, Why is the retention rate so low among pt? Why can't they get good pt help? Thus in return, getting a better quality driver. At least lower the risk of aquiring a bad one. Why get(all) good help when they(UPS) knows if the job requires 32 and only 22 show up and the job still gets done thats great. The Upper Brass dosen't care how much you sweat and wine. Their Happy!!!!! Wow, that is smart business sense. UPS is probably hoping and wishing for some of the part timers not to show up. LOL Lets see, 32 - 22 = 10 poop bird workers dont show up. 10 X 4(hr shift) = 40 hours monies saved by the company. Yippeee. Stock price is going up, folks. Freeing up all that money. UPS is now thinking lets hire some more poop birds. Wait!!!, but not too many. Just enough to twik it. Smart business sense.

Last edited:

area43

That's right because as we all know, only UPS has an attendance policy!! No non union company has any problems or experience with slackers and late comers and no call no shows.
It's only union employee's that call off. how many beans did it take to get into this thought process.

Back, Incredible! LMAO. Are you really serious with what you are saying in the above paragraph. Are you being sarcastic? " NO non union company has any problems or experience with slackers and late comers and no call no shows. Back, your lack of experience in working other jobs is clearly showing. Let me start. Fast Food industry. Ive worked at a local steakhouse and the attendance problems were outrageous. Than at the college I attended I worked at the cafeteria as a dishwasher. Again, attendance was terrible. My girlfriend worked at the Wendy's nearby and the attendance was terrible. Than I got a job at Kmart. Again, the Attendance was terrible. My wife works at the local hospital and you would think attendance wouldn't be a problem. It is. I also worked as a Life Guard out in Ca. Attendance was a problem. Other Guards getting drunk with campers at night and not showing up for their watch. I also worked at a greasy spoon cafe, that too had attendance problems. Back, you have to get out from under that rock. Not to be mean. Its not just union employees.

Also, these sups that want to criticize the driver. I ask them this. Why did you decide to go into mgt. Was it the money? The great job security? The loyalty from your superiors above? Our was it because you just couldn't hang. Show me a sup that has driven 15 years or more and I'll show you someone that should be leading this company. The sup that trained me had 16 yrs driving under his belt. Wow, now the sups are fresh out of college or not, get their 40 days in and they think their GODS to the delievery world.

Than you have those people that want to comment on labor and never intend to stay at the labor ranks. How condenscending is that. Kind of like playing us as the fools. They know very well they don't plan on staying with UPS, but want to give their worthless 2 cents. They, the young ones. Hack it out for a short time. Quit, Why because they can't hang. Get out if the kitchens tooo hot. Just don't cast judgement on others that you consider wimps. Don't tell your younger siblings,coworkers or friends that their wimps and need to tuff it out. Hey, go look in the freakin mirror. WIMP!!!!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
this past friday, on a staffing of 32 available people, 10 did not show up for me. pretty annoying when it happens all the time and discipline gets done and i have nothing to show for it because they are still with us with the same behavior.

I'm right with ya on the annoyed, Mathematics. I work in a hub, too. Several weeks ago, we had 1/3 of our unloaders call-in, no-show, WHATEVER. My supe came down to MY trailer and asked me to sign something. I grunted with exertion as I loaded a particular box on the conveyor, continued unloading and said, "Yeah, lemme grow an extra arm to sign that for ya. I'm kinda busy!" He said, "Hey, I need your signature. It'll take a second." I shook my head, kept working and said, "Yeah but if I stop working so I can sign that, I hear about it. And I'm not signing ANYTHING before I read it." I said all this as I was unloading, by the way. He said, "What the :censored2: is your problem?" I laughed, continued working and said, "Listen, maroon, I'm busting my A** in here because you and your management buddies can not 'inspire' your people to come into work. GO AWAY and come back when I'm not busy!" He whined, "We're writing people up...." I knew that one was coming. I lost my cool, I admit it. I yelled at him, "Do you think I'm an idiot? Its the same people--EVERY time! Do something about these people!" He knew he'd lost that battle. He promptly exited my trailer at a high trot. An hour later, I was back on my sort aisle. A week or so later, rumors started that management was getting serious about attendance. Within two weeks, suspensions had been issued. Attendance has improved:). Then again.....its cooled off to the 70s and 80s. -Rocky

area43

That's were people are making a BIG MISTAKE.

Don't look at us all as the teamsters!!! Just cause u have a jerk hugging on and stretching the game in there favor. You can't hold everyone accountable for 1 or even 20 people's actions.

It's almost a form of prejudice.

I don't look at all center manager's or Sup's as "MANAGEMENT THE ENEMY". I give all respect and know who to trust and who to keep an eye out 4.

Treat those individuals accordanly. When I screwed up last week, Lets just say I was in a rush and had an NON accident shuttle incodent I called my sup up emediatly and confided openly holding myself fully accountable. I didn't run to TEAMSTERs. I faced him like a man at the center and critisized myself for him in front of him.
Stop using the word teamster and then you'll see. My manager's love me.

Back, quote "My manager's love me". It appears you do not need the Teamsters. Why not work for Fedex? Back, "Your the Man". How about if it all goes south? Isn't it nice to know the Teamsters are there if you need them. Back, I seen it happen. Things can change so quick. It also appears with your pro-mgt stance that you have no intentions of staying a driver. I question your long haul duration as being a driver. Why, do you slam the Teamsters? Isn't that why you wanted a job at UPS is because of the good pay and bennies? How about DHL? I hear they pay $9 an hour. Some are Teamsters, some not. Back, I believe you'll go into mgt shortly. "Faced it like a Man" quote by Back. That sure does make the rest of us sound like Wimps. LOL

In closing, Back I don't wont to be totally negative. I admire your work ethic. Drivers like you are hard to come by. I believe you have a keen eye. I have loyalty(not blind loyalty) and respect for the Teamsters. Lets be real folks. UPS would have a revolving door at each center. The 20 yr crippled drivers would be kicked to the curb for a more younger one. Remember, "The Stock".

Last edited:

cantwin69

Get past it cause if I get a manager treating me like a teamster then I'll be a "Teamster". Treat me fair and let me have some dignitty and you'll be amply rewarded.

There's alot more like me then you know. Stop using the word teamster and then you'll see. My manager's love me. They know I take pride in my work and deal with my work as it was my own business. My pride makes me a better worker and my pride holds me accountable. They aren't afraid to aproach me cause I understand CONSTRUCTIVe critcisizm.

For me to call off work or come in late is cutting into my profit margine. Understand. I'm human but don't aim for a 4 day weekend like some of these kids.

With all due respect Back,

I had the EXACT line of thinking as you. That was, until I was injured on the job. Get injured and you will see things in a totally different light. The managers who "love you" and are treating you fairly WILL NOT if you are injured.
Just take my word for it. It took three weeks of constant run around and lying by the managers who "loved" me
LOCAL 705

swdter

Hi everyone this is my first time on here i think this is great for all upsers because we are unable to talk to co-worker because of the nature of the business we are in

browniehound

Rock no disrespect, but welcome to the real world. Burn out. LOL I ve been with UPS 22 years. 2 1/2 pt(am loader and unloader) and 19 1/2 full time Pkg driver to the present. I averaged for the last 19 1/2 years drivng with my lunch included 10 to 11 hours a day. Christmas I will hit easily 12 hours a day. Boy, do I look forward to that. These people need to tuff in up. I don't want to hear them cry. Don't come to me for sympathy or anyone else for that matter. They just don't make humans like they used too. Well, at least not all humans. UPS is a tuff physical Job. If you can't hang than just leave. Pusses. LOL Double shift. "Works" good for you. Keeps your britches up over your waste not down to your ankles. Ask Jim. The ass kicker. I agree that UPS needs to start caring more about the part timers. UPS needs to pay them more. Peroid. But than again, were starting or have been living in a society where hard work is foreign to alot of young people. Rock Im not referring to you. ( :

I hate to be a nit-picking spell-check nerd here, but I have never seen in my 30+ years on this planet, the word "tough" spelled "tuff".:lol: The "icing on the cake" in this instance is that the poster used the word "tuff" twice in his post.:confused:1

But, I guess you must be really "Tuff"(ie: a leg breaker) and you may spell it anyway you like, I won't object.:crying:

P.S.

Here is a quote taken from the above post: " UPS is a tuff physical Job"

Its obviously not a "tuff" mental job if you have worked here for 22 years:w00t:

L

LINY

I see it as an ethical issue, there is no accountability for cost, center is not giving an accurate picture of its operating expense. These centers are normally your poorest running centers in every measure (Workers Comp. Cost, ERI scores etc.).

happy harry

I'm not in a center because i work in the hub with the package slingers (not meant to be deragatory). the hub and centers are two totally different animals. i work in small sort where i am planned to work a certain amount of workers each day. this past friday, on a staffing of 32 available people, 10 did not show up for me. pretty annoying when it happens all the time and discipline gets done and i have nothing to show for it because they are still with us with the same behavior.

From a management point of view,just to get both sides of the story. Does your small sort have an attendance problem everyday or just on Friday's? Do you have your small sort fully staffed.Small Sort should be the most fully staffed portion of the building. As the supervisor it is your responsibility to get your people to work. If you know you are going to be short you have to make moves. (Call double shifters in advance,discipline employees the next available day,get more staffing from other sections of the building, hire more people,etc.) The list goes on.

From an hourly point of view if there is an attendance problem and the hub/union knows that they have an attendance problem then the shop steward should be on top of that as well.Shop Stewards should have bells going off in the head anytime management employees working....period. This should cause him or her to ask progressive questions from the pt supervisor all the way up to the Division Manager. Then the grievance procedure begins.If there is an attendance problem it's got to be addressed.Attendance issue is no excuse for sups's to be working.

magoo57

H. Harry. I halfway agree with you. A supe has got to address the attendance issue prior to working. Many is the time a shop stew has seen me working( I'm a p/t supe. Pleased to meet you) and I told him to go into the office and another supe should be calling the people and seeing who would come in. If the stew saw that I really was trying to bring in help(usually at startup) he and I could work together for a solution. I have only been greived for one hour in 12 years as a supervisor.
The really good stews would ask about the persons who did not come into work. "n/c n/s" and then he and I would negotiate from there.
The real problem is not that supes are so evil as to want to screw Teamsters out of their rightful work.. the p/t supervisors are so scared of confrontation that it is easier to their psyches to work and then be grieved than to write up a coworker who has no excuse for being absent. More than once I have told my people "Be a man and tell me you are going to be absent. Don't screw the entire team." (Nothing sexist, Helenof CA. Ladies do not go absent without calling).
And teamwork is so often the other thing absent here. From baby boomers on down ,the two or three generations of "me-me me" have taken its toll on our company's attendance. A team can operate without a coach, but a coach/supe cannot operate without a team. If there is not a team, then you only have prisioners and can expect regular escapes.
No one should be a supe without 3 years with the company. Other than that, I still scratch my head on this lack of teamwork that the company seems to manifest.

happy harry

H. Harry. I halfway agree with you. A supe has got to address the attendance issue prior to working.

I agree with you. A good supervisor has to be proactive. The moment you suspect you will be down staffing. Moves need to be made. Like i said in the previous post. Attendance should not be a reason for supervisors to work. Shame on a supervisor if he doesn't fully staff his area.That's is how your package's get moved.

Many is the time a shop stew has seen me working( I'm a p/t supe. Pleased to meet you) and I told him to go into the office and another supe should be calling the people and seeing who would come in. If the stew saw that I really was trying to bring in help(usually at startup) he and I could work together for a solution. I have only been greived for one hour in 12 years as a supervisor.

Pleased to meet you as well. I don't know if you are proud of this. But when i went into supervision it was not my intention to roll up my sleeves on a daily basis. It actually pissed me off when i had attendance problems. And i did take it personal.

The really good stews would ask about the persons who did not come into work. "n/c n/s" and then he and I would negotiate from there.
The real problem is not that supes are so evil as to want to screw Teamsters out of their rightful work.. the p/t supervisors are so scared of confrontation that it is easier to their psyches to work and then be grieved than to write up a coworker who has no excuse for being absent.

My whole point on the no call-no show's is that i blame the supervisor. I never understood no call-no show's. This to me was a major lack of respect. If i was a supervisor and i expected you to come to work. You better be there. If you call me and tell me i can't make it. I understand things happen, people need off. What job do you know of where you can just not show up or not call and say i wont be in. That was my point I agree with you when you say supsdon't want to screw Teamster's out of there work.

More than once I have told my people "Be a man and tell me you are going to be absent. Don't screw the entire team." (Nothing sexist, Helenof CA. Ladies do not go absent without calling).

This sounds great but when it comes to start of the workday and when none of your men let you know in advance that they were going to the beach because it was 95 degrees out. I think the lets be a man speech becomes a failure.lol
And teamwork is so often the other thing absent here. From baby boomers on down ,the two or three generations of "me-me me" have taken its toll on our company's attendance. A team can operate without a coach, but a coach/supe cannot operate without a team. If there is not a team, then you only have prisioners and can expect regular escapes.
No one should be a supe without 3 years with the company. Other than that, I still scratch my head on this lack of teamwork that the company seems to manifest.

I agree with you totally on the 3 years experience with the company before going into management. But i don't think it's feesable. Lack of management or other various reasons sometimes do force your hand to fill much needed positions to fully staff your orginizational chart. I have also seen my share of management employees with less than 3 years that were very sucessful. (myself being one) But experience always helps.

local804

Harry,
As per the Ups-teamster contract ther are pages of text re: the supervisors working. They have a list of steps to follow before any suit can work and I am sure most of them dont. In a building as big as your old one, I think it can be pretty easy to find some employees that are willing to for another part time shift for some extra money. Does UPS wanna pay them the extra time bonus or will the supervisor look better on paper if he does the work himself. I think we both can agree on the answer for that one. We can hear all the horror stories about this one calling in sick or this one banging on a Friday,or the guys on comp, but the truth of the matter is, your building employs thousands of employees (wild guess) and it really isnt hard to fill some spots. Walk in IC during the midnight shift and I guarantee you the same supervisors that are working this week, will be working next week and so on and so on. The supervisors job is to supervise not to do teamster work as was agreed to by our contract. I can name 9 UPS management people that signed that agreement and I am sure they dont want it violated.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
It's getting worse all the time and ups is paying for it every time in our center. When you see a sup working, ask him if he offered the work to an hourly, if he didn't, document it with a witness. Have your steward file it for you. When you win and get paid for it, feel good about it. You're helping to correct a problem. Either they use hourlys or else they pay you/us for doing our work. It's in the contract that they agreed to. Do you think they would look the other way if you or I didn't follow the contract?

magoo57

H harry, let me restate: A prospective should have three years' of experience at UPS if he/she has never had any experience being in charge of other persons. Just being in college does not make you a leader of men and women. Having to give orders that other human beings may not wan to hear is the only way to show leadership experience. Whether that experience is a shift leader at McDonalds or an E5 in the military, or the mother of a two year old.(The latter may be the BEST experience at showing qualification to be a UPS supe)
It is the supe's responsibility to stop the n/c n/s but if the chain of command is letting you twist in the wind on a Friday night or a Sunday noonday, the supe is S.O.L.. I never allowed this even when my chain of command wasn't thrilled to follow up. The reason was that for a long time a person FAR above my paygrade told me that he would write up any supe who was greived for working unless that supe could prove how hard he tried to resolve the situation in some other way.
But I still stand by my original statement. Some days it is tougher to crawl out of bed and go to the cardboard mines. On those days the thought of not screwing your teammates should motivate the individual. A supe can even do a "training session" where the teamster sits and watches the p/t supe demonstrates proper technique so the person can rest his exhausted body for 5 or 10 minutes. Perfectly correct and shows that fine line that workers look for in a supe. "I know how hard you work. I would help you if I was allowed, but I can't"
Also, a supe should have as part of his evals his workgroup's attendance % as well as the turnover ratio for any UPSer with less than one year with the company. Hit us in the wallet and see the change.

705red

Browncafe Steward
It's getting worse all the time and ups is paying for it every time in our center. When you see a sup working, ask him if he offered the work to an hourly, if he didn't, document it with a witness. Have your steward file it for you. When you win and get paid for it, feel good about it. You're helping to correct a problem. Either they use hourlys or else they pay you/us for doing our work. It's in the contract that they agreed to. Do you think they would look the other way if you or I didn't follow the contract?
Great points Brown! here in chicago we filed and filed and now we will be getting somewhere around 400 new jobs over sups working and subcontracting. I have no problem filing for sups working and i LOVE filing them on managers when they work, like they deserve better, a violation happened and it gets grieved.

j13501

My whole point on the no call-no show's is that i blame the supervisor. I never understood no call-no show's.

Harry,
I don't understand what your point is. Let's see, next week your NFL team plays on Monday night with a chance to get in the playoffs; you've had 10 preloaders ask for Tuesday morning off (and you know already that you have 5 preloaders off on vacation). You know that you can give 4 people off that day and still have enough coverage to run the operation. You give the 4 senior people off, and tell the others that they need to come to work.
Now Tuesday morning arrives and you were smart and double shifted another 3 people to insure you had coverage, but 4 additional people, no call, no show, probably because they knew you couldn't give everyone off to watch the game and didn't want to ask, because they didn't want you to say "no".
Let me get this straight. You blame the supervisor?? If that's the case, what responsibility does any individual (management or hourly) have to his/her employer to come to work when scheduled. Remember, all of us, union and management employees only have jobs because we service customer's packages. If union employees don't come to work, that is perhaps the best example of when management MUST work to insure we service the customer.