Management in Browns

local804

My whole point on the no call-no show's is that i blame the supervisor. I never understood no call-no show's.

Harry,
I don't understand what your point is. Let's see, next week your NFL team plays on Monday night with a chance to get in the playoffs; you've had 10 preloaders ask for Tuesday morning off (and you know already that you have 5 preloaders off on vacation). You know that you can give 4 people off that day and still have enough coverage to run the operation. You give the 4 senior people off, and tell the others that they need to come to work.
Now Tuesday morning arrives and you were smart and double shifted another 3 people to insure you had coverage, but 4 additional people, no call, no show, probably because they knew you couldn't give everyone off to watch the game and didn't want to ask, because they didn't want you to say "no".
Let me get this straight. You blame the supervisor?? If that's the case, what responsibility does any individual (management or hourly) have to his/her employer to come to work when scheduled. Remember, all of us, union and management employees only have jobs because we service customer's packages. If union employees don't come to work, that is perhaps the best example of when management MUST work to insure we service the customer.

Unless Management exhausts ALL options from thier contract, they can NOT work. Its pretty clear in the contract book if you would want to look for yourself. Our buildings have thousands of employees that can cover other assignments and would love the extra money.

happy harry

My whole point on the no call-no show's is that i blame the supervisor. I never understood no call-no show's.

Harry,
I don't understand what your point is. Let's see, next week your NFL team plays on Monday night with a chance to get in the playoffs; you've had 10 preloaders ask for Tuesday morning off (and you know already that you have 5 preloaders off on vacation). You know that you can give 4 people off that day and still have enough coverage to run the operation. You give the 4 senior people off, and tell the others that they need to come to work.
What don't you understand? This is a perfect scenario,that happens all the time. A good supervisor should know his people. (Attendance problems,football fans,monday morning hangover employees,etc,etc.) Also if the supervisor is seasoned in his area he should no after 16 weeks of football who his problem employees are and handle his problem.(Then if you have a no call-no show it becomes the supervisor's fault for not addressing his employees sooner.)Most of the time your no call-no show employees don't just not call or not show on one occasion. They are habitual.
Now lets just go with the scenario that you have a weak pt supervisor in the area of addressing attendance problems,then it lies on the full time coordinator for not taking the time to groom him or her.(Since I am a realist I will tell you this is what happens most of the time.)

Now Tuesday morning arrives and you were smart and double shifted another 3 people to insure you had coverage, but 4 additional people, no call, no show, probably because they knew you couldn't give everyone off to watch the game and didn't want to ask, because they didn't want you to say "no".
Once again model employees don't just no call-no show. And lets just agree with you partially and say they all took sick days. (which you still can't fault the hourly.) Then i would suggest that the Ft coordinator balance out his staffing to accomodate that weak area. (Not to forget you still have a staffing issue.)
Let me get this straight. You blame the supervisor?? If that's the case, what responsibility does any individual (management or hourly) have to his/her employer to come to work when scheduled.
If you as a supervisor just no called. Would you still be employed by UPS? So what would be the difference between the two?
Remember, all of us, union and management employees only have jobs because we service customer's packages. If union employees don't come to work, that is perhaps the best example of when management MUST work to insure we service the customer.

Lets get back to reality. This happens. Im not saying that. But my point is that supervisor's can't lose sight of the necessary manpower they will need for there area. Hence the word MANAGEMENT.That is what makes the difference.Yes we all have one common goal in service package. But we must also understand that as management you have the responsibility that you were given by UPS to manage you area's.

happy harry

Unless Management exhausts ALL options from thier contract, they can NOT work. Its pretty clear in the contract book if you would want to look for yourself. Our buildings have thousands of employees that can cover other assignments and would love the extra money.

LOL. Go over by boxline 2 after any sort. You will become a millionaire filing grievances. If i was a shop steward I would have a lawn chair and my lemonade in hand.(UPS has a no drinking on the job policy. Or i would have my Goose.lol) With a huge smile on my face. Waiting for payday.

local804

LOL. Go over by boxline 2 after any sort. You will become a millionaire filing grievances. If i was a shop steward I would have a lawn chair and my lemonade in hand.(UPS has a no drinking on the job policy. Or i would have my Goose.lol) With a huge smile on my face. Waiting for payday.

I know Harry, I am aware and not blind. They stop working usually at 7am when the top seniority guys come in for early am`s, usually stewards. I was answering the young yellows quote before that said they were allowed to if someone called in sick. These suits look like they are doing a super job on thier reports, but they aint fooling anyone.

HazMatMan

I think they wear browns because they regret not going into package car driving. They feel if they wear the browns that they can at least pretend to be package car drivers and maybe get through the day just a little quicker.:funny::devil3::wink2:

LKLND3380

I will agree to alot of this post. What I find is that the center manager and sups would be alot better people to work for if it weren't for the Division managers on up. Stock prices have alot to do with it. Pressure from the top. In reference to your quote "The Big Picture" I have found in my 22 years and yes I am a Ft driver is that in most not all cases its either mgt or the highway. Harmony, yes. I would much rather come to a happy place than a not happy place. ( :

DIVISON MANAGERS SUCK.... We had one in the bulding last year around peak. He went on the belt I was at and reamed out a preloader for the way one of their cars looked. the thing was a mess but it was 8:30 and the belt supe told her to just throw it in... Well the D.M. says "would you want to deliver this?"

The D.M. calls me over (I was ready to go home) and we start to unload the car 15 minutes before drivers start time to "do it right..." This is while the package cars normal loader stands and looks on... Then after the floor is clear he tell me and the loader to get it in there neat and this is now 5 minutes before drivers start time... After a while the drivers show up and we have this pile out side the car so now me, the driver and the loader are trying to get the thing loaded and the center manager shows up and tells us "All preloaders off the clock - Drivers can wrap it up..."

local804

the contract, or at least the local 804 supplement, says that the pace of work will be at the company's discretion. i do not remember the wording verbatim, but it gives the company the right to say what "fair day's work" is.

The parties agree that the principle of a fair days work for a fair days pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the employers interest. I dont know how your reading that but you might want to browse at the rest of the paragraph. Right after that quote, they outline harassment of employees.

ps There are plenty of employees that would like to cover for when an employee gets sick.
Pss People do get sick.

mathematics

The parties agree that the principle of a fair days work for a fair days pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the employers interest. I dont know how your reading that but you might want to browse at the rest of the paragraph. Right after that quote, they outline harassment of employees.

ps There are plenty of employees that would like to cover for when an employee gets sick.
Pss People do get sick.

that's wonderful, but what about when the employee calls in "sick" at 12:30 AM when the start of the work day is 11:20 PM? i should call a list to get people in for what? 30 minutes before the end of the shift? come on now.

local804

that's wonderful, but what about when the employee calls in "sick" at 12:30 AM when the start of the work day is 11:20 PM? i should call a list to get people in for what? 30 minutes before the end of the shift? come on now.

In a building that produces probably the most volume in NY, I would think its safe to say there are plenty of employees willing to work another shift or a few extra hours to help out. Call Barry, I am sure he will be able to help.